“Lots of fun!”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Lots of fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

My girlfriend and I met my father, his wife and two kids here at the scenic railroad in ellsworth. The boys are 4 and 6 and they absolutely loved the train ride and the conductors were awesome, giving them coloring books and pointing out certain landmarks along the way. If you have a free Saturday or sunday I would strongly suggest going on the Downeast Scenic railroad!

Visited June 2013
3 Thank BAC21994

North Smithfield
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Just a train ride”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

I believe in supporting not for profits and this is one. The volunteers were very nice and knowledgeable. Some history is given along the way through a recording. There was not much to see on the train ride, mostly forest. The train is run on diesel and the fumes will enter the car when both the front door and back door are opened. This made for a slight breathing problem with some of the passengers. If you want to take a train ride and support a non profit, this is the ride for you.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank icts
Grindstone Neck, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

For the price and the experience, it was disappointing. The smell that comes in was unplesant. I think they are on to something, but the ride needs to be far more enjoyable for me to say it was better than poor

Visited October 2012
2 Thank LaPierreGourmand
Fountain Hills, Arizona
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Not Much to See”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

We finally did the train ride out of Ellsworth, which was disappointing. The train itself, including the club car, is nicely restored and kind of interesting. I can't say the same for the route actually traveled. Except for one very short stretch across a marsh, the "scenery" is pretty much what you see from Highway 1-a and Ellsworth's High Street. This trip was not worth the money.

Visited July 2012
Portland, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Needs Help!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

We traveled all the way to Ellsworth for the purpose of the train ride. We went into the shop to purchase the tickets and stood on the first line right by the door. When it was our turn they told us we were on the wrong line we had to go to the back of the store. After standing on the new line again with several people ahead of us I tried to get the attention of the clerk to ask if this was the correct place for tickets. The clerk was rude and told me to wait my turn. The woman in front of me was not only checking out but asking for different sizes, wrapping things separately. Three clerks were helping her and again I was told to wait and someone will be with me in a minute. Twenty minutes later the train blew it's horn to leave and we were still waiting in line. No there wasn't another train. When it was my turn and I went to complain, the clerk told me I could come back the next day. I explained I drove far and he shrugged. I haven't been back and will probably drive a bit further to go on another train rather than be put through that torment again.

Visited July 2012