“Good food, quick service”

Ellsworth Giant Sub
Ranked #27 of 63 Restaurants in Ellsworth
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Hubley, Ns
“Good food, quick service”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My wife and I each had a sub from here. Hand made and quite good. Prices were a little on the high side.

Visited March 2014

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Not worth stopping...”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

It pains me to say that, I love small restaurants but there was nothing worth noting here. There were what seemed to be a mother and daughter making my sub, and perhaps I just didn't know what to order, but my sandwich was anything but special. It was alright, it wasn't bad... but nothing I would go back for, and it took at least 20 minutes to make and there were only 3 people in line in front of me, one of which finally left before putting in their order. Sadly, I wish I would have done the same. You only get so many meals when you are on the road/traveling and I would not go out of my way to make this one of them.

• Visited October 2013
Highland Lakes, New Jersey
“Interesting Sandwiches”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We typically do a decent amount of research on tripadvisor before traveling, and always use it as a reference while out and about. (hence the reasons for mostly great reviews!! thanks!! ) This was one of those total spur of the moment, "We're tired, don't feel like restaurant, don't feel like cooking, what can we grab for later" deals.

The first thing I noticed, was the way the rolls were cut... They cut them from the top, similar to a hot dog bun. Different than what I'm used to, but nothing that was too unusual. However, both of our rolls were only cut about halfway through, which meant that after every single bite, (literally) you had to shove everything back in, because it was popping out of the top. We had a good laugh about this the next morning when talking about the sandwiches. The meats themselves (Turkey & Ham) were fairly bland, in general the sandwiches really didn't have any flavor, and there was only about 3 slices of Turkey on my sandwich. Not what you would expect from a place called "Giant Subs".

The prices here were great, the service was fantastic, the workers were very nice and pleasant. The place was clean. The bread seemed homemade, (not sure if it is or not) and wasn't bad, except for the way it was cut. The bottom half of the sandwich was like eating a plain roll.

I really haven't had many sandwiches while in Maine, and I don't know how this shop compares to others in the area. I still think it's a step up from the chains, such as Subway/Blimpie/etc., but it's certainly not like the deli's we have "back home".

• Visited September 2013
Bar Harbor, Maine
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

I love a good sub and had hope for this local shop when I pulled up. I went in for the first time and ordered a veggie sub. The staff was less than enthusiastic about sandwich making. The staff at Subway is more pleasant. They also don't have a choice of bread or a toaster. Chewy white tasteless sub rolls is all they have. If they have other flavors they werent offered to me. Minimal effort for a sandwich shop. They do have a very tasty hot pepper relish - it was the only redeeming flavor to combat an otherwise bland sandwich. Maybe their hot subs are better but I'm probably not going tin again to find out. There are a couple of tables inside and out to dine-in but zero atmosphere. Not very comfortable or welcoming. My advice put in a tad more effort into the shop and invest in a toaster...

• Visited September 2013
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Great super sub”
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Double ham and cheese made a great sub. Had sweet relish on it for first time. Really tasty. A "regular" there said they had the best subs in town. I believe him.

• Visited August 2013