“Little on the old dirty side, but good value”

Homestead Motel and Cottages
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Ellsworth
Sydney, Australia
“Little on the old dirty side, but good value”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Certainly good value to stay here - but was a bit old and dirty - needs to be renovated somewhat. Even some fresh paint might help. I was lucky as I had no problems with bed bugs.

The owner was friendly and it was a convenient location.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank PhilUSA2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Don't know why I picked this place but did so without reading reviews and because I wanted to minimize expenses. I hope to keep others from making my mistake. The "cottage" provided was VERY musty and moldy smelling on entry. Going into the bathroom I felt like I would fall down because the property has settled and is literally "tilted" now! Room was VERY dark even in the daylight hours. Old, smelly carpet and bedding seemed old too. Deadbolt would not lock. "Breakfast" was offered but I did not want to stick around for it the next morning. Could not sit in chairs outside as they were dirty and full of water. Had difficulty even finding the place in the first place as one sign is hidden by bushes on one side and not readable on the highway side. In attempting to find the place, I called and got a lengthy voicemail with no return call. People at a motel next door (which looked very nice and is only a few dollars more according to the internet) had to point out the location of this motel. I DO NOT RECOMMEND STAYING HERE. (And, if there is ever a fire in the bushes, this place will probably burn down. Vegitation is way too close to the buildings in the back.) By the way, the foto on the web site is the house where office is. Not the rooms.

Room Tip: Save your money.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank ArizonaGeorge100

Travellers are raving about these Ellsworth hotels

Fitchburg, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I would not stay here again, it is smelly and rundown. We stayed because we couldn't find anything else open. We did not know until we started reacting 9 days after leaving that we had been feasted on by bedbugs while we slept. Our doctor confirmed it takes average of 9 days for bites to show up.

We have spent money for bombs and RX. We've spent hours doing laundry and cleaning, those bugs had a 9 day jump on us. Shame on us for not check the room more thoroughly. We should have gone home or slept in our car!

We have lost sleep, and sanity wondering if we brought any home with us, never mind the unsightly bites and the embarassment.

Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank itchingmad
Berwick, Maine
Reviewed 5 September 2011

This hotel was very dirty, smelly and run down! We were stuck with it because every other place was booked. We bought candles to try to cover the smell, no luck! Then, we woke up in the morning and found the beds full of bedbugs! It ruined our vacation! We had to spend hours bombing and cleaning our things.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank MKBL999
Franklin, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Although it was outdated I didn't mind. I had been there nefore and knew what I was in for. The room was clean and that was first and foremost. But when the proprietor would not give me a roll of toilet paper it was the straw that broke the camel's back. He told me that he had given me a new roll of toilet paper the day before, that his supplies were low, and I could not possibly have another!! BEWARE!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank RazorsEdge1960
Needham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Although the flowering beds outside look nice, the room I was in was horrendous. From the rickity bench outside the door to the, the screen door that was falling apart you go into the room with the waterstained and mildewed ceiling. The circa 1970's refrigerator was falling apart and didn't work. The TV was a similar vintage. The bathroom sink was stained, the wallpaper peeling away and the wood casings around the doors were rotting away. I honestly have nothing good to say about this place would I *not* recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank gardendesign17
Reviewed 24 July 2011

All different flowers in beds, hanging from the gazebo, lining the driveway and in porch pots were well-tended and in full bloom. The proprietors are friendly and helpful and provide a continental breakfast. Many repairs and upgrades are needed to the exterior of the motel. And our room needed new interior decorating, newer bed linens, repair to the broken recliner chair, and improved WiFi service (better outside on the porch). The bathroom was tiny.
There is some road noise from busy Rt 1 with easy access to Acadia and Bar Harbor.
But it's really hard to find a more inexpensive room in this high tourist area!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellsworth
Eagle's Lodge Motel
#1 of 1 in Hancock
Twilite Motel
Twilite Motel
#4 of 10 in Ellsworth

Been to Homestead Motel and Cottages? Share your experiences!