“5 star restaurant”
Review of Orwells

Orwells
Reserve with OpenTable
Orwells is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Shiplake
Price range: US$26 - US$97
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Located in Shiplake, near Henley on Thames, Orwells' Kitchen is headed up by Michelin starred chef Ryan Simpson and Liam Trotman. The aim is to source the best produce available locally and prepare memorable dishes with no fuss to let the quality of the produce shine. This rural aproach and modern cooking has won Orwells "Reader's Restaurant of the Year" in the 2012 Good Food Guide, not even one year after opening, and also the Pride of Reading award. 2015 Edition of Waitrose Good Food Guide we feature in the top 100 restaurants. Orwells caters for everyone, offering an extensive choice from the A La carte menu, £15.00 2 Course lunch, 2 Course £19.95 Dinner and Taste of Orwells menu. On Sundays Orwells is very popular for families and couples who enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and good food, in Summertime in the Garden overlooking the Oxfordshire countryside. We look forward to seeing you very soon
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“5 star restaurant”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Myself and my husband visited Orwells last weekend with our neighbours who go regularly. I had read some of the negative reviews on trip advisor and feel we must have been in a different place. The staff are chatty and knowledgeable, the service was good, the wine recommendations perfect and I cannot fault the whole evening. We all had different starters and mains but my asparagus starter was £9 as is the usual price for restaurants in this area, my steak was done as I asked and was actually slightly less in price than we usually pay elsewhere and if I was to criticise anything it would be that my dessert was so big that I could not finish it. All food was cooked and presented beautifully.

We intend to return to Orwells very soon to try the taster menu with wine selection. I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to anyone who likes good food!

• Visited April 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Average, poor when considering the price”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

The cheap looking tables ruin the decor, where some white tablecloths would go a long way for an evening meal. In terms of food, the venison burger was lovely but the Aberdeen Angus beef, priced at £24, was a joke for what it was. At most there were 3 mouthfuls of meat, and the whole serving covered abound 20% of the plate. The service was extremely average, most of the waiters had no idea as to what the wine choices were and asking how they looked or tasted was a waste of time. The food also took forever to arrive and didn't all come out at the same time, leaving some of our party awkwardly waiting for others to receive their meal. Overall an extremely average experience, and when taking the price we paid into account I would never, ever recommend here to anybody.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Jhud90
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Orwells at Shiplake, great service, even better food”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We ate at Orwells a few weeks ago as a treat for my Partners birthday, I had visited for lunch a year ago and remembered that the food was good.
The service is excellent but also relaxed, they make your visit comfortable and it isn't pretentious. My partner had the steak which was beautifully cooked and I had the special, which was Lemon Sole - cooked to perfection.
For a Wednesday night it was 'busy' - half full, just busy enough without being chaotic.

• Visited March 2013
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Snooty Service & Be careful about the price of the 'specials'”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We have eaten here 4 times, having gone back each time hoping it would be better. No doubt that the food is good BUT, my partner has had an upset stomach on one occasion so I worry about hygiene, we were caught out by the extortionate price of the specials on another occasion, I gave feedback via their website which was ignored - never a good sign and supports the fact that they are somewhat pretentious. Service is rather supercilious. If you order the specials - ASK the price so that you avoid any nasty surprises. I've really tried to like this place as Henley is short of high end restaurants but it has never managed to live up to expectations. Don't even see anyone taking the effort to respond to the Tripadvisor comments. I wonder do they even care to read them.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Henley-ite
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful, imaginative food”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We have been there twice this month. The food is very imaginative, there are two vegetarian choices for starter and main course (and neither was vegetarian lasagna!) and everything is presented beautifully. The breads are home made and delicious. The waiting staff are very knowledgeable about the menus and if you sit in the conservatory, you can watch your food being cooked (and what a calm, quiet kitchen it is - take note Gordon Ramsey!). The local menu was fantastic value for money but a smaller choice; the a la carte was really unusual.

Can't wait to go again!