“A special, unique place”
Review of Mackworth Island

Mackworth Island
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Falmouth
More attraction details
Owner description: A scenic walking path around the hundred-acre island affords visitors a sweeping view of Casco Bay.
Portland, Maine
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A special, unique place”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Go North on Route 1 from Portland then take your third right after crossing the Martin Point Bridge onto Andrews Avenue. That will lead you over another bridge directly to the island. The gatekeeper will greet you at the entrance and let you know if there is parking (Come early on the weekends if you want to find parking, as it is scarce) and go over park rules. The main path goes completely around the island. If you start on the right near the parking lot you will find restrooms and a mini human maze, as well as the first steps that go down to the beach, The path is lined with swings and benches and more paths to the beach at several points. There is also a concrete formation that juts out into the water to create a perfect picnic spot, a creepy pet cemetery that some say inspired Stephen King, and a section reserved for children to build houses for the fairies that are said to live on the island. It creates a beautiful setting for a fun day out with the kids or just a lovely place to walk and take in the scenery. Bring your own food and drink, as there is nothing there, and you may want to stay several hours.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank Dania S

31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“A super scenic Maine walk .”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Theres never enuf parking here and this has always been the problem. It keeps us away on weekends which is sad. The walk itself if absolutely beautiful and very well kept up. I love visiting the nice Maine island.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Bearnecessite
Falmouth, Maine
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Awesome trail and view!”
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

This is a great, easy trail for a quick hike. It's also great for kids and dogs because of the fairy houses and ease of the trail. There are a lot of little beaches to walk down to and let your dog go for a swim. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is because there is very little parking and a notoriously rude gate keeper who will let you know just how little parking there is!

Visited September 2013
3 Thank Anna M
Denmark, Maine
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Open to hike”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

It is so close to Portland and areas north, open to hiking. Fairly qiet, easy trail, view the ocean and plant life.

maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great Trails, VERY RUDE GATE KEEPER”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

If the trails weren't so lovely I would say steer clear of this place simply because the gate keepers are so unbelievably rude. I tried to go there yesterday with my pregnant wife. There were no spaces available so I asked if I could drop my wife off and I would go park the mile, or so away and come back so she wouldn't have to make that long trek from the car to the island.

Apparently Mr. Rude who was manning the gates had an issue with that and gave me no shortage of grief. I swear he appeared to take great pleasure in making it extremely difficult to get through the gates, so much so that I was actually astonished at his belligerence. I have rarely encountered someone who is so intent on making another person's life as hard as possible. It didn't get any better when his young co-worker arrived on the scene to join in on the harassment.

After about a 5-10 minute back and forth (which is still mind boggling) we finally managed to get him to let the gate up for us to unload and we met another couple who had a very similar experience just minutes before we arrived. Apparently this is fairly commonplace with this person.

I am not sure who is managing the staff at the gatehouse, but they really should be ashamed that they are giving their Island such a poor initial impression. For a place the seems to rely in some part on donations, this is a pretty poor way to go about it.

We won't be returning there any time soon, I am sure there are far more inviting places in Maine that a person can visit to enjoy a nice walk without being harassed for their efforts.

Visited July 2013