“Girls' Shopping Weekend”

Harraseeket Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Freeport
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 14 August 2011

A girlfriend and I stayed at the Harraseeket Inn for the weekend, and had a very nice time. The best thing about this Inn is the location - only two blocks from L.L. Bean, tons of great outlets, as well as several good restaurants. The service is also fantastic, with the front desk being extremely friendly. The Inn has some lovely common areas with huge fireplaces, and the grounds are very pretty. However, the rooms are quite dated, with flowery wallpaper in the bathroom of ours. The beds were terribly uncomfortable, and we both woke up with sore backs (we stayed in Room 108). Dinner in the Maine Dining Room was delicious, however again the restaurant is dated, with an ugly drop ceiling and brass lighting. Overall, I would probably stay again, but would ask if any of the rooms had a better bed.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Reg-Jas
nadianichols, Owner at Harraseeket Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us. Our mattresses are Serta Perfect Seeper, Presidential Pillowtop model, extra firm. Most of our guests love them but for those who don't we have other options available. The next time you book a reservation, let us know and we'll take every step to ensure you get a great nights sleep. We're glad you enjoyed your dining experience and wish we could eliminate that dropped ceiling, but it hides a state of the art heat pump system that recycles the waste heat from the refrigerators and freezers to heat the dining room in winter, as well as the air conditioning for summer. In keeping with the traditional decor of a country inn we've contemplated using pressed tin ceiling panels but the jury is still out. We appreciate your feedback and hope your girls' shopping weekend in Freeport was fun. The sales are great right now! Enjoy the rest of your summer and we hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Harraseeket Inn

Reviewed 30 July 2011

The staff and accommodations at the Harraseeket Inn have always been superb! From the moment I make my reservations, I am greeted with warmth and congenial assistance, much like an old friend, rather than just a customer. From the moment I arrive at the front portico, I receive the same wonderful assistance, guidance and attention to service, I expect at a five-star Manhattan boutique hotel. I have enjoyed my many dining experiences in the stylish and informal Broad Arrow Tavern. I especially enjoy the cuisine, table side service, extensive wine selection, and romantic atmosphere of the Maine Dining Room. The Inn has always been very accommodating to my work needs, as I have used the Sasanoa Room to conduct small informal business meetings. The Inn's prices are economical and they offer many room and local tour specials.
On my last visit, I was taken a back by the Inn's Military Family Special and was touched to see their service go "above and beyond" when their staff helped a visiting Marine and his family....even making sure a dropped "Thomas the Train" was returned to the Soldier's son.
As a near constant traveler, I can not express how much I appreciate the hospitality and service of the Harraseeket Inn's Staff!
I highly recommend the Harraseeket to all my friends and family.

Room Tip: Just ask the front desk! They are very friendly and accommodating. See the Inn's specials on the...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This was our fourth time at the Harraseeket and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay once again. It is exactly what you are looking for in a small New England hotel. The breakfast buffet is great and the afternoon tea (with the distinguished older gentleman making sure you get all the tea and goodies you want) is relaxing after a "hard" day of shopping. It's location is top notch - within easy walking distance of LL Bean and a whole array of outlet stores. True, it is not cheap, but here you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Having lived in Maine my adult life, I had never been to the Harraseeket to stay. We had been there for meetings and a wedding but had never stayed there. We were celebrating my 40th birthday and was looking for something close to home. We stayed in a room in the newer part of the hotel. It was small and quaint. The room was pretty simple. We missed the afternoon tea. We ate at Sianos Pizza next door and really enjoyed that dinner. We ordered dessert from room service and it was mediocre and expensive. We enjoyed the large two person jacuzzi in the bathroom, although the ambiance wasnt the greatest. We enjoyed our buffet breakfast the next morning. The location is great because you are within walking distance of all of the shops in downtown Freeport but I was a little disappointed in the room itself. We used a gift certificate that we won and I would have probably been upset if we used our own money. I think I would have been just as happy staying at the Hilton down the street.

Room Tip: Make sure you call and get an exact description of the room and it's location before you book.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaineMom5171
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My husband and I stop at the Harraseeket a few times a year, usually one night only, in transit between summer and winter homes. We like the people, the restaurants, the afternoon tea, and usually the rooms (depending on what we pay for). They also have a nice garden, and they are walking distance from all the shopping. We used to try other hotels, but have really settled on this one. One of the really pleasant and comfortable hotels in Maine.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2011

When we checked into our room, I immediately found a bug in the bed and took it down to the front desk in a napkin. They upgraded us to an identical room. We had to bring our own bags. When we retired, we heard what sounded like an animal with claws and a long tail crawling through the A/C ductwork.

Although this may seem small by comparison, the hotel staff was reluctant to recommend any restaurant outside the hotel. Given the claws and bugs I don't think we'll be back!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cuisinsky
nadianichols, Owner at Harraseeket Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2011

Good heavens! Our sincere apologies for what sounds like a very unusual experience here at the Harraseeket Inn. Our rooms supervisors inspect each room carefully after it has been cleaned, but insects do hitch rides into the building from time to time. I have relayed your comments to the housekeeping staff. Our front desk staff keeps a notebook full of menus from all the other establishments in town for our guests to peruse, and there is a comprehensive listing in the in-room booklet as well. While we're proud of our own eating establishments, we've always been open handed in recommending others. Freeport has some great eateries! As for noises you heard, there is no duct work associated with the HVAC units in each room. If we knew your room number we could investigate this further. Please give us a call at 1-800-342-6423 or email us at harraseeke@aol.com so we can get more details from you. Again, our most sincere apologies that your stay with us wasn't up to your expectations. We want all our guests to leave here happy!

Reviewed 18 July 2011

This was our third visit and once again, we were glad we came. We arrived just in time for afternoon tea after a drive from Albany (stopped overnight from Toronto). Even though it wasn't quite 3:30, the very friendly gentleman encouraged us to start.

Our room was perfect complete with very good wi-fi. The bed was comfortable and even though there was construction going on the next property - it did not affect us except for an afternoon nap after a morning of sea kayaking! The noise did not start until well after 10 am and ended by 5pm.

Breakfast was good except for the eggs - they were very overcooked. The lovely waitress offered to have some especially made for me but being on weight watchers - I figured it was a sign. Great coffee, low calorie options and my one indulgence (s) - the frittata one day and pancakes another morning. But again we were very active during our stay and certainly did not need lunch after the Inn's breakfast.

Room Tip: Check out the website - you will see some good specials.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
nadianichols, Owner at Harraseeket Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2011

Thank you for your feedback. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, as well as a morning of sea kayaking on Maine's stellar coast! I recently spent two hours kayaking on Casco Bay with LLBean's Walk-on Adventure/Outdoor Discovery School. Having never kayaked before, it was a wonderful experience (the instructor was great) and highly recommended to anyone who wants to give it a try. Our host at afternoon tea is the venerable and much beloved Mr. Cooper, who is 94 years old this year. Mr. Cooper is a WWII survivor who has quite a fan club here at the inn. We're sorry about the overcooked eggs! Our breakfast wait staff is always happy to have eggs (or egg whites) prepared for you any which way you like, or if you have any other dietary restrictions we'll do our best to accomodate them. We hope you enjoy the rest of your summer, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Hilton Garden Inn Freeport Downtown
Hampton Inn Freeport/Brunswick
Casco Bay Inn
Casco Bay Inn
#3 of 11 in Freeport

Been to Harraseeket Inn? Share your experiences!