“A gem -- for sure”

Harraseeket Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Freeport
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I got a tripadvisor email several days ago saying that it had been a year since my last review ... and it has been a year since I have been in Freeport at the Harraseeket Inn and LLBean. I did post a good review of both last year. I believe the purpose of tripadvisor is to share a personal perspective of an experience, and everyone has the right to their opinion. Sometimes, though, I find posts confusing and quite frankly, suspect. Case in point, one I read the same day I received the email that leaves me confused. A displeased (and in some cases flat out wrong) reviewer, appears to live 20 minutes from the Harraseeket Inn and visited for one night's relaxation; however, they stayed at a Hampton Inn the night before. A little strange, but … OK. But, the review just doesn’t make sense. I am sitting on a new Isince my visit last year) leather couch in the drawing room at the Harraseeket Inn right now, having checked in six days ago. I feel compelled to clarify a few things so that people looking for a hotel or place to eat in Freeport get balanced information. Admittedly, I’m a fan of this place, but I do pay attention to every – and I mean every -- detail. It is simple to correct some flat out erroneous information not subject to opinion. First of all, there are two -- not one -- guest elevators at the Inn: one in the lobby and one near the tavern. Second, ordering two pulled pork sandwiches ($11 each) and water at the Broad Arrow Tavern will not result in a $38 bill (I checked the menu because the $38 quoted seemed outrageous to me too). While I have never tried the pulled pork sandwich, you will not find a better lobster roll, and the lunch buffet is always a good bet. As for parking, keep in mind the Inn is not a “motor inn” where you park your car in front of the door to your room. You can park on the portico or by the back door to unload and load luggage. Distance and effort is definitely up to personal perspective, and if you have to walk from the farthest part of the parking lot, it is more than just a few steps. There is not valet parking, but there is handicapped parking located close to the door. If the walk from where someone parked was truly long and inconvenient, the inn must have been extremely full … and … an early check-in request might not be available. In any event, do we really know by just walking in the door how many guests checked out the night before, when they left, and how many are expected that day? I just sat here and shook my head when I read the comment about breakfast ..."now, this is where the Inn has great room for improvement". I’ve eaten at a referenced Hampton Inn lobby breakfast, and for its purpose, is very nice: very nice, but definitely not the Harraseeket Inn. Because the full breakfast buffet is included in our room rate, we always have breakfast at the inn. I don’t recall during my 15+ annual visits to the Inn when there wasn’t a host or hostess at breakfast. Sure, if it is busy, I have at times had to wait a few minutes to be seated, but a “noisy cafeteria”? I can’t say I would ever liken The Maine Dining Room – even during a busy breakfast – to a cafeteria. We did remark how busy it was Sunday morning at breakfast, and most if not all of the tables were full. You could tell guests from the wedding the night before were filtering in to breakfast, and we saw the bride being congratulated as she walked by several tables. Weekend breakfasts do tend to be busier than weekdays when we are here early in May. Being told to "help yourself" at a buffet doesn't seem odd to me no matter where I am. I'm sure if someone is unable to serve themselves and doesn’t have a companion to assist, the staff would be more than happy to serve them from the buffet. I would normally recommend the breakfast frittata, but now I’m thinking the French toast is a viable rival. My mom and aunt are addicted to the blueberry muffins. Side note: As I was writing this, I met a lovely couple from northern Maine who found the Inn several years ago when they had their 50th wedding anniversary dinner in the Maine Dining Room. Their initial comments to me were that they “love this place” and “can’t say enough about this place”. After their anniversary, they said to each other they had truly found a “hidden gem”. They even detailed to me information on a room package they believed was quite remarkable. Anyway, my bed is always comfy with soft snow white bedding, my room clean, the food so good I eat far more than I should, the surroundings warm and welcoming, and we always see guests we know from previous years’ visits. The Harraseeket Inn is our destination; Freeport and the surrounding areas are the bonus – not the other way around. If I have an issue, I tell someone, and they fix it. And … while I could expound more on why this place is one of my favorites, the true “gem” of the Inn is the staff. As my mom says … I am in awe of how hard they work to make our experience one we want to repeat over and over again.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff. They will help you make choices to suit your plans -- whether it be at the Inn (r...
1  Thank KTM990-28
Penny G, Owner at Harraseeket Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your personal perspectives of the Harraseeket Inn. You're quite right, our staff is our greatest asset. They are just the nicest people; caring, compassionate and always looking for ways to enhance our guests' experience. We're equally fortunate that our guests are the greatest, too. So many times it feels like I'm walking into the middle of a family reunion when I enter the lobby. Many of our guests have been coming for decades and we've seen their children grow up, get married and have kids of their own. Many of our staff members have been with us for that long as well. This makes for many familiar faces among guests and staff, and enhances that "home away from home" feeling. Thank you again for your gem of a review and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed here in March as a surprise for my girlfriends 30th birthday. They had a great deal for a two night stay with dinner, champagne and choclate covered strawberries. The owners even left a handwritten note wishing her a happy birthday; a personal touch that was very much appreciated. The staff was helpful and friendly, the room was clean and quiet, and the food at the restaurant was amazing! Our dog had a blast too; there were treats and toys waiting for her in the room and even her own dog bed. We will be staying here again the next time we travel to Freeport!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andy P

We're so glad you enjoyed your March getaway at the inn. We have some great packages that are perfect for special occasions (like birthdays!) and in the off season the value is even better. Thank you for posting your review and we hope to host you for the next special event!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I recently had a great experience TWICE with this fine Inn. I recently hosted a business conference at the Harraseeket and they performed above and behond on all counts. Attendees were all very appreciative.Their events coordinator, Amy, was always on point and willing to do all of what we wanted.
Following the confernece I had my daughter's wedding at the Harraseeket and once again they wee superlative. Jean Marie wa a great wedding coordinator and the food was delicious. Everyone had a goodtime and I received many compliments as to how great the place was Chip Gray was great to talk with.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review! Our sales staff works very hard to make every business conference a successful one, and every wedding venue as unique and beautiful as the bride herself. We're so glad you enjoyed both of your experiences here. Your comments will be shared with our sales staff. Thank you for making their day!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This was our second stay here. The first stay was in the fall. This is a beautiful hotel with lovely staff and excellent service. There was snow on the ground this time so were grateful for the lovely fires. Afternoon tea is lovely and is so relaxing and like going back in time. The rooms ate lovely, we did not request a fireplace room and did not get one. It would have been lovely but did not detract from the stay. We stayed for two nights whilst travelling around New England. The shopping is OK but we really visited for the hotel
The food is delicious in the tavern and in the restaurant, excellent value and fantastic service . The breakfast Buffett has lots of choice to suit every possible taste and is well organised and delicious . The staff are friendly and helpful.
We will certainly return to stay again and I would highly recommend it . Thank you x

Room Tip: Request a fireplace room especially for a snowy/ chilly stay
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

We're so glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us! March isn't the month many people would choose to visit, but this year March was more like "winter" than "mud season"! Fireplaces in our lobby, restaurants and drawing room are popular gathering areas, as well as the fire pit off the Broad Arrow Tavern, and of course we have fourteen guest rooms with fireplaces to snuggle by on a snowy eve (or a rainy day). Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Three generations of my family regularly travel for business and pleasure through Freeport, and the Harraseeket is hands-down our favorite place to stay. We are organic upstate New York farmers and hard-core local foodies, and first stumbled across the on-site restaurants 18 years ago. Thinking we could never afford the inn, we would stay outside of town, but take all our meals at the inn's Broad Arrow Tavern, which focused on quality, local, and organic food....long before it was a trendy idea. It was 12 years ago when we discovered the unbelievable packages that the Harraseeket offers through their website, making it affordable for our necessarily frugal family to lodge there as well (in many of the packages, the meals are included).

And thus, for 12 years now, we have repeatedly returned. The Harraseeket is a place that has consistently paid attention to detail, and it is noticeable through every moment of our visit with them. The staff remembers us, greeting us with warm hugs and welcomes, and they welcome our children and cheerfully accommodate for their needs. The atmosphere is simultaneously first-class and unpretentious. Privacy is easy to maintain, but the atmosphere also lends itself to mixing with the other guests. My children have played with the kids of movie stars at this property, I've sat over beers with best-selling authors that I've met in the tavern, I've taken afternoon tea with artisan craftspeople, as well as fun-loving every day folks who share my family's appreciation for quality food and ecological sustainability....Oh. And we've met a number of other organic farmers from around the Northeast here, too. -- A sure sign that we are not alone in our views that this place practices what it preaches, and finds a way to make itself accessible to everyone.

The buildings and grounds are fastidiously maintained, and beautiful at any time of year: The beds are reliably comfortable, the rooms tasteful and up-to-date, the salt water pool always impeccably clean and warm. And the food? Well, it is nothing short of AMAZING. 18 years after we first discovered it, the Harraseeket still presents food with heart and soul, honoring the earth, the farmers, and the seasons. Both restaurants on the property - the Broad Arrow Tavern and the Maine Dining Room remain, hands-down, the best place to take a meal in the entire state of Maine. They accommodate for our dietary needs without so much as batting an eyelash, and the menus even come with thoughtful suggestions for substitutions to lower the glycemic index of certain dishes, or to make them suitable for other dietary concerns. The inn and the restaurants have a dedication to the environment that we share, and we sleep better and enjoy our meals more because of it...And the staff and management have managed to pull this off without a single compromise in quality, comfort, service, presentation or flavor. Our family has recommended this inn repeatedly to friends and family, and many of them, too, have become regular clients....After so many years of steady enjoyment of this wonderful place, it only seems fair that I sit down and offer this review with my sincere appreciation.

1  Thank ShannonH237

Thank you for such a wonderful review! We have nothing but respect for the hard working farm families that bring such wholesome, healthy foods to the Broad Arrow Tavern and Maine Harvest Dining Room, and we are proud supporters of Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association and the Maine Farmland Trust. Supporting our local farmers is the most important thing we can do to ensure the freshest, highest quality foods and to keep our farmlands from being developed. No farms, no farmers. No farmers, no food. We use organically grown produce as much as possible and truly believe this makes a huge difference in both the health of our planet and all its inhabitants. We appreciate your patronage over three generations and we look forward to meeting the next three generations as we grow together toward a sustainable future!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

By chance stumbled upon Freeport and Harraseeket Inn when looking for a quick getaway form the hustle and bustle of Boston. Fantastic service, bent over backwards to accommodate me, help me with some travel issues and provide me with a wonderful large room. All the staff, including those at the restaurants, were incredibly friendly. The breakfast, that was included in the stay, along with the complimentary afternoon tea were fantastic, lovely wholesome food from local growers and suppliers. Would love to visit and have more time, thank you for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: I had a corner room, with huge windows. Very spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Thank Exhausred!

We're so glad you enjoyed your visit and hope the next time you visit Maine (all the way from Australia!) you have more time to relax and explore the beauty of this coastal area. Thank you for your review and have a wonderful summer!
The Gray familt

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Although this was our first visit to the Inn we felt like we were with family. The facilities were top shelf and the staff clearly wanted to make our visit memorable. We had appitizers and cocktails in the tavern and dinner in the main dinning room. Food was incredible and the waitstaff was great. Meagan our waitress was as sweet as pie, she knew the menu and described dishes to us with precision. Tea each afternoon is a great experience and not one that I thought much about but really enjoyed it. The inclusive breakfast was a treat, with as much as we could eat of homestyle eggs, oatmeal, pancakes, home fries, bacon toast, fresh fruit coffee juice and more. Stuck to your ribs and acarried you for the day. Can't wait to plan a return visit in the fall.

Room Tip: We were on third floor street side in Room #303. Nice bright room in day time but quiet and cozy...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to hosting you again!
The Gray family

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Hilton Garden Inn Freeport Downtown
#5 of 21 in Portland
Best Western Freeport Inn
Best Western Freeport Inn
#8 of 11 in Freeport

Been to Harraseeket Inn? Share your experiences!