“Almost Average, but Not Yet”
Review of Harraseeket Inn

Harraseeket Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Freeport
GreenLeadersGold level
Land O Lakes, Florida
“Almost Average, but Not Yet”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

When I needed to find a hotel close to both Harpswell and Portland, it wasn't even a question where I would stay. I had stayed here before back in 2009 and wanted to come back for the lovely rooms (especially with the jacuzzi tub!) and the in-house restaurant, the Maine Dining Room.

The staff and restaurant did not disappoint. The hotel looked beautiful and the food was absolutely to die for. When I needed a tube of toothpaste, the front desk brought it up right away.

The reason that I did not rate this as an excellent was the room. I reserved a one queen bed room with a two person Jacuzzi, and was checked in to a handicapped accessible room with, granted one queen bed, but the tub was definitely not a two person tub and the shower was not separate from the tub, you showered in the Jacuzzi tub. Suffice it to say that it was not as luxurious as I anticipated it to be based on my previous visits and what I paid to stay there.

The drapes on the windows and above the bed were markedly worn and old, and the alarm clock was probably as old as I am (31 for your reference). The small, flat screen TV was up on top of the cabinet that must have housed a previous, older tv but could not accommodate the wider tv. So when you're lying in bed be prepared to basically watch tv on the ceiling.

My sleep was less than enjoyable, as the door let in a lot of light from the hallway and the curtains did not close completely so when the sun came up at 5:00am there wasn't any hope for me.

The Inn is amazingly convenient to the shops in Freeport. You couldn't ask for a better spot to walk to the shops and outlets if shopping is your goal. The Maine Dining Room still makes the best meal I've ever had in Southern Maine. But based on my room I am worried that the Harraseeket is crossing from "quaint and old-fashioned" to "old and outdated." I'm not saying the Inn has to modernize, but with the selections of old-fashioned furniture and home furnishings it would be possible to update without losing the ambiance of the rooms. My hope is that they will do so and not lose themselves to dusty, old habits.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Penny G, Owner at Harraseeket Inn, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate feedback that keeps us on our toes and your comments about your guest room will be reviewed and discussed. Renovations are an ongoing process here at the inn and we'll make it a priority to focus on the drawbacks you encountered and remedy them! Hopefully the next time you stay with us, we'll have earned your full approval. Thank you again for sharing your insights and we hope you have a great summer!
The Gray family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Huntsville, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We spent the nights of May 26 and 27 at the Inn. Our second visit.

This is a great place. When you read the history of the owner-family, and look at the art on the walls in the public areas, you realize the close links between the Inn and the backcountry camps and resource industries of Maine.

The Broadarrow Tavern is named for the early logging done in the area, for the British Empire.

So, the tradition is 'woodsie', but in 2014, the place is run with a lot of class.

Thanks to Christine, Debbie and Celeste, our servers in the Tavern, and at the full hot breakfast (included in room price).

We had a great chat with Manager/owner 'Chip'. We took his advice, and went out to see the Alewife fish ladder, a little ways down the road. We saw thousands of fish pushing upstream from the ocean, to spawn. Neat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kim S
Penny G, Owner at Harraseeket Inn, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for your review! The Harraseeket Inn does indeed have close ties to the history and lore of the Maine woods. My mother's parents owned a set of sporting camps on Holeb Pond up near Jackman and she grew up there, so she comes by her "woodsy ways" naturally. I'm glad you were able to see the alewives running up the fish ladder, that's really a neat sight! We're very fortunate to have a great crew working here at the inn, and they really get a thrill when they see their names mentioned on Trip Advisor. Enjoy your summer and we hope to see you again!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I love Freeport and I love this hotel.

They are famous for having the best buffet breakfast around (included for guests but open to the paying public as well) and they also serve afternoon tea in the charming parlour...though I missed it every day...doh!

The rooms have character and the different levels and long corridors make for an interesting trek home if you've been enjoying the bar downstairs!

I attacked my first whole lobster in the Maine Dining Room and it was an experience I'm glad I waited to have here. I also lunched lavishly in the Broad Arrow Tavern, which reminded me of an English pub.

My room had a fabulous, half canopy bed with a beautiful Freeport-made Brahms Mount blanket draped over it. With a work desk, sofa and coffee table in front of the wood-burning fireplace, it was a very cozy and comfortable room.

The bathroom was marble-bedecked and lovely. The toiletries were eco-friendly and including a soap with a hole in it to stop it from going soggy...very smart!

The staff were attentive & helpful and the restaurants were excellent.

I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Penny G, Owner at Harraseeket Inn, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Wow, thanks for a great review. We're thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again!
Fredericton
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We bought the Maine Getaway package for our first visit and it won't be our last. The facilities are excellent, from the rooms to the tavern, and the staff made us feel so very welcome (especially Celeste!). Our party had two dogs and this was a wonderful, hassle-free environment for them as well as us. Thanks for a delightful and relaxing experience - just what we needed!

Room Tip: The corner room we had was large and bright.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Penny G, Owner at Harraseeket Inn, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for your review! We're glad you were able to take advantage of one of our packages. We have several on our website that are very popular. Celeste is a real treasure, she's been with us since she was a teenager and now her son is working on the breakfast crew as well! We hope you have a wonderful summer!
Saratoga Springs
Reviewed 17 June 2014

If you are looking for a fantastic place to stay and to eat, this is the place! Enjoyed the warmth and hospitality of the Inn and cannot recommend it highly enough.. From the comfort and cleanliness to the warmth of the many employees, this has been the BEST mini vacation ever.. We are here three days this time but we will be back.. Freeport offers great shopping and it is easy to get here just off I95.. If you come by train they will pick you up.. The food is wonderful and like the rest of the inn everything is plentiful.. The gardens are lush and so beautiful... The furnishings are above par with large rooms and upscale linens and lots of pillows on very comfy beds.. Would give this a 10 out of 10 if that was a choice...

Room Tip: Just plan your visit soon... You will enjoy your stay...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Penny G, Owner at Harraseeket Inn, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit!
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We spent a night here last summer. I made a mistake with our reservations, but they very kindly found a room for us. It was comfortable, charming, we were pampered, and the staff was excellent - well-informed and helpful. Food was superb. Highly recommended

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Penny G, Owner at Harraseeket Inn, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you! We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon. Have a great summer!
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We have stayed at the Inn 3 times now. I find that it is in desperate need of a Reno. The rooms and carpets need to be updated. The bed was very comfortable and linens were very nice. Breakfast also was very good.

Room Tip: Place is dated! All rooms need updating for the price.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathy K
Penny G, Owner at Harraseeket Inn, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you for your review, Kathy. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for not meeting your expectations. Renovations are ongoing at the Harraseeket Inn and the original wing is almost complete, including the marble tiled bathrooms, carpeting and draperies. The South Wing is our next big project, and we'll be doing quite a bit of recarpeting of the public areas as well. Your comments will be shared and discussed, and we'll do our best to complete our renovations as quickly as possible. We hope the next time you stay with us, your visit will be perfect, as it should be.
The Gray family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Hilton Garden Inn Freeport Downtown
Hampton Inn Freeport/Brunswick
Best Western Freeport Inn
Best Western Freeport Inn
#7 of 11 in Freeport

Been to Harraseeket Inn? Share your experiences!