“Elegant, peaceful, nice garden and incredible food and service in main dining room”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Harraseeket Inn

Harraseeket Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Freeport
GreenLeadersGold level
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2009

The inn is clean and elegant and nicely decorated. We had tea when we arrived in the afternoon that included a piano player. Very relaxing. The staff was all very friendly and helpful even though we did not have any problems and loved the location that we could walk to the main area of outlet shops such as LL Bean, Burberry, Cole Hahn. I was really surprised at how nice all the outlets were and the quality of merchandise. We had dinner in the main dining room and everything ... service and food and dessert ... were amazing ... one of the highlights of our week long trip to Maine. I would highly recommend the Harraseeket.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Likestotravel009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Northern New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

I stayed here while visiting Freeport for a quick weekend getaway. The inn is quaint and the staff very friendly. The inn is equipped with everything you may need while staying there. There is a fitness center and indoor pool. There are two restaurants within the inn (a tavern and more formal restaurant) as well as a little store for those last minute gifts or items you might have forgot to pack.

The room I stayed in overlooked the garden. The room was very big even with the king sized bed and furniture. The bathroom was ample enough for two people to use and included a two person Jacuzzi (separate standing shower). Everything was clean and well maintained.

The inn includes ample parking and is located just a short walk from all the outlet stores and restaurants in downtown Freeport. Breakfast was included with my stay. It was served buffet style. There was plenty to choose from so you won’t go away hungry or disappointed. I had an enjoyable stay here and would return.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traveling_NJ_Girl
Scottsdale, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2009

This place never ceases to amaze us....The friendly - professional service, spacious rooms and great food are the best of any hotel we stay in. Will always return.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
tiverton rhode island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2009

Another stellar stay at the finest Inn in Maine! Grand Easter Buffet was fabulous, our room was great, and the staff was as accomodating and friendly as ever. My husband's business takes him all over the world and this is our favorite place, the only one we call our "home away from home"...and we've never found a plastic flower on the property, just the beautiful indoor arrangements and outdoor gardens by Ruby. Thanks for the wonderful memories!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank songome
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2009

I just love this place. A large group of knitters and spinners gather together every year and this inn just rolls out the red carpet for us. The place is warm and cozy. the food is terrific no matter which venue you choose, and I can never say enough good things about the staff who are always GENUINELY cheerful and helpful and glad we're there.

The pool area is nice with warm water and pleasant temperatures. The only teeny tiny minor complaint I have is there is no hot tub in the pool area.

• Stayed February 2009
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Harraseeket just recently (Dec 29-30, 08). We stayed there using a "Serious Shopper Package" gift certificate won in a PBS auction. I had called in October to book the room and spoke to a very nice reservation person. As the package comes with a dinner in the Maine Dining Room, I also made the dinner reservation on the phone. I asked for a double-bedded room, as my husband has a back problem and sometimes likes his own bed when we stay in hotels. A week after I made the reservation, I received a confirmation letter in the mail. When we arrived at the Inn, we went to the front desk to check in, and all went well until I was asked for the gift certificate. I explained that I was the high bidder in the auction and that I think I had been sent an email but it was on my computer back home. I gave them the confirmation letter that the Inn had sent and said I assumed that this was all that I needed to present upon checking in. After some discussion with the front desk person, we agreed that I would look for the email or call WGBH. I frankly was a bit puxzzled by all of this, as I had the confirmation letter with me, but I suppose they needed to verifiy that I was indeed the proper bearer of the gift certificate. When we were settled in our two, double-bedded room (it was fine, a lot of the nicer rooms were booked) I got a phone call from reception asking if I had found the email. I said no and that I would have to forward it to them when I got home. I was then basically told that if I could not find it by the time we checked out they would charge our credit card and then once the email was received they would issue a credit back to the card. Again, I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about but I said fine. Then I got another call and was told that they had spoken to the manager and he said something to the effect that he donates gift packages to public radio and that all was well, I didn't have to worry about finding the certificate, he would call the PBS station (WGBH). I thanked the person on the phone and again said that once I was home I would forward the email. We also changed our dinner reservation to the first night, rather than the second night, and this was taken care of with no problem. The dinner was quite lovely with good food, although the decor of the dining room is nothing special. I was actually amazed to see that the flowers on the table were fake! And the poinsettias in the public areas were also fake. This is just unacceptable in a inn of this supposed quality. Go out and cut some holly and place it in bowls, or use other decorations, but please, NOT fake flowers. And here we come to my point. In fact, nothing about the Harraseeket is that special. The inn I am sure was lovely about 20-40 years ago, but it is now very dated and things look very worn, from the furniture in the drawing room (where complimentary afternoon tea is served every afternoon) which looks like it could have been picked up at a garage sale to the furniture in the rooms. The quality of the furniture was just not what I expected. I am not suggesting that everything be replaced with contemporary furniture, what I am saying is that the furniture should be replaced with newer and better versions of what is there already. I have been to many places that are traditional and furnished in a tasteful, fresh traditional way, with good antiques or reproductions. But this stuff just looked worn, and frankly, it probably was not good quality when first purchased. Also, what I can't understand is the dropped ceilings in the drawing room, as well as the main dining room. We actually felt as if we were staying in an overpriced motel. We ate in the Broad Arrow Taven the second night and this was great, (very well decorated) but the prices were outrageous. I was surprised that the tavern prices were as high as the ones in the main dining room. The buffet breakfast that comes with the room price was also just fine, nothing special (the scrambled eggs were good.) We missed the afternoon tea, which also comes with the room. On the second morning, I peeped into a couple of other rooms which were being cleaned and one of them looked much bigger and brighter. As I say, there is nothing particularly wrong with the place, it is just nothing special. I am mystified that people say they come back year after year. I agree with a previous reviewer who says that everything just seemed dated and old -- and please note that we are NOT young and hip and expecting a pretentious, boutique hotel, we are in our 40s and extremely well-traveled. Harraseeket just seems a bit schizophrenic, a "green hotel" that recycles everything and yet they use fake flowers and plants. The hotel has very nice "bones" and yet they have worn and outdated furniture, with old, dropped ceilings. I am sorry as I had high hopes; however, I thought it was a bit odd when I went onto their website and had to search hard to find photos of the rooms. You actually have to start the reservation process to see the rooms. I should also mention that the beds were very uncomfortable, with the mattresses sloping in the middle, with the mattress pad continually coming off of the bed. The mattresses, at least in our room, should be replaced. Ah well....when we next come to Freeport, we will look into staying at either a real bed and breakfast or one of the newer hotels (e.g., Hilton) and perhaps have a meal at Harraseeket. Finally, when we got home, I emailed the manager the invoice for the gift certificate and have heard nothing, not even a quick thank you. All in all, a real disappointment.

• Liked — the good food
  • Disliked — the worn, outdated atmosphere of the whole Inn
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Mukki
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2008

Such an amazing inn - incredibly romantic, SUCH nice staff, very comfortable room, great shower, amazing food, I can't say enough good things about the Harraseeket - I can't wait to go back!!

• Liked — Everything - an amazing place in every day.
  • Disliked — The elevator was slow - but the stairs are right there and add to the cozy ambiance, so there was no need to take the elevator anyway!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Xdcdcd1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Hilton Garden Inn Freeport Downtown
Comfort Suites
#10 of 11 in Freeport
Hampton Inn Freeport/Brunswick
The Westin Portland Harborview

Been to Harraseeket Inn? Share your experiences!