“Quiet and extremely clean B&B in the greater Portland area”
Review of Candlebay Inn

Candlebay Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Freeport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 July 2013

.. and within a short walk of all the outlet shops of Freeport and L.L. Bean. Whenever I am in the Portland area or picking someone up at the Portland airport that requires an overnight stay, I head for Freeport. While the town is busy with tourists during the day, it calms at night. The Captain Briggs is easily reached and on a dead end street. The hosts were accommodating and breakfast delicious. If I were in the area again, I'd return to the Captain Briggs.

1  Thank Nancy J

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Being clean and allowing fido are two plusses. Keeping fido quiet with 4 dogs staying in the B&B is a challenge. It is within walking distance of Freeport shopping and right off of Main St. It works if you have no other choice. I found it very distasteful to be told to leave a tip because that how they enjoy their vacation. I tip on service not for someone to go on a vacation.

1  Thank CherylBoston
Charles T, Owner at Candlebay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

I am sorry that you felt that we told you that you had to leave a tip. I cannot believe that either my wife or I have ever told a guest that they needed to leave a tip. Tipping as you said is based on service. We have asked our guest to write reviews but not give tips.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We recently stayed in Freeport, ME for the July 4th weekend and we had a great time. Captain Briggs B&B is located right off Main St. on Maple Ave. It's a very convenient place to stay if you're looking to stay away from the crowds but still within walking/driving distance of the shops. We chose Captain Briggs because of the high prices in the nearby hotels. We've also traveled to and stayed at Freeport before and this was our third time there but first time at a B&B in Maine.

The location is perfect. Coming off of Main St., it is a bit of a small road and the street comes up suddenly right off Main St. right after the lights. The house itself is on the right with plenty of green space to have a nice walk around and there are seats to enjoy the outdoors. There is an adequate amount of parking, just enough for all the rooms.

The rooms are very nice. There are no televisions in the rooms (which is only a drawback if you come back from shopping and just want to see what's on). Our room was in the Daisy room. It was large enough to fit two double beds and a roll-away bed in the middle to fit everyone in my party. I did notice a huge amount of dog or cat hairs on the blue carpet underneath the beds, which was not great. The air conditioner was a little on the old side and took a while to cool the room but it eventually got there. The sinks are on the outside of the bathroom, right next to it though.

Breakfast was great every morning and it was just nice to chat with the Innkeepers about their travels and where they went, which made it feel like a true bed and breakfast.

Overall, I would check Captain Briggs out in addition to the other hotels around the area. Obviously, prices tend to go up during the summer season but Captain Briggs was within our price range whereas the bigger hotels were about $100 per night more. Unless you're not into B&B's, definitely check this place out.

Room Tip: Rooms are a bit small. Ask the Innkeepers any questions you may have about size. The maximum occupan...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Charles T, Owner at Candlebay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Thank you very much for your review. I do, however, need to correct a couple of misconceptions. First, we do have TVs in 2 of our rooms. Also, there is a TV in the Common Room for guest use. Second, since we do allow DOGS in the Inn, I admit it is a constant battle to get all of the DOG hair up when cleaning a room. I shall endeavor to do better. CATS are NEVER allowed in the Inn. Finally, the room that you stayed in had a double and a queen bed in it. It was made for 4 people only. By putting in a 5th (and a roll-away), it did admittedly make things a bit tight. Up until now, I have not charged extra for extra people or for the roll-away in the room. I will need to reconsider this policy in the future. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Very nice B&B in Freeport. Close to Bean's flagship store, but a quiet block off Main St. Very clean and the hosts are very accommodating. We were with our grandkids and Bev said, "Would the kids like pancakes?". I said "Yes" and Abby would love you if you made chocolate chip pancakes. She immediately said, "Of course.". Abby said the pancakes were "awesome" and I must say the blueberry pancakes she made for my wife and I were "pretty good" too! This was our 2nd visit to Captain Briggs and we plan on staying again the next time we are in Freeport

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Captain Briggs this weekend with 5 people and 4 dogs in the Forget-Me-Not room. The first night we had the place to ourselves, which made it feel like we were right at home. We are very appreciative that they welcomed our dogs just as much as they did us. They have a huge yard for the dogs and it is only a short walk right to all the stores and restaurants in Freeport. Breakfast is delicious and they make sure to ask if you have any allergies. The atmosphere is very laid back and relaxed, which is great when on vacation. We had a great 2 nights in Freeport thanks to Captain Briggs.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We stayed at Captain Briggs because we had heard from another B&B that it was pet friendly and very nice. They were correct! The house is within walking distance of downtown Freeport. It is safe and clean. Bev makes an awesome breakfast and takes care to accomadate dietary needs. If you are looking for hospitality, this is the place. Cookies and coffee were also greatly appreciated after our chilly afternoon walk. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2013

This B&B isn't one of the fancy ones, but everything you need. It is very clean, well kept with comfortable beds. The location is within walking distance to LL Bean and other shops. The innkeepers are friendly and breakfast was good. I would definity go back. It is a much better value and location than the hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Staying upstairs in the back would be the quietest room location.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family