“Choose this spotlessly clean B&B with spectacular breakfast and plenty of extras!”
Review of Candlebay Inn

Candlebay Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Freeport B&B and Inns
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Bev was a marvelous host! Her lemon ricotta pancakes with blueberry sauce, sausage and raspberry yogurt the first morning and her bacon, quiche, cinnamon bread and fruit bowl the second were homemade and delicious.
Our room was impeccably clean, full of thoughtful extras--wine cooler, champagne glasses, sign-in book for the room, shampoo and other thoughtful toiletries-- and so comfortable.
Bev and her husband had lots of good advice about the area and fellow guests were so friendly.
Home-baked cookies, coffee, and a common refrigerator in the dining room with much more for guests is available in the evening!
We will return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank See_Vermont_Soon

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
north carolina
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed here for one night after a 13 hour drive to maine. We arrived a bit late and one of the owners came down to greet us, which we thought was very thoughtful. The Inn is located a block from "all the action" in Freeport (restaurants, shops, etc.) Our room was very clean, equipped with plenty of towels and clean linens. The furniture was very basic. It was not luxurious, but it was clean and we slept well. Our Golden Retriever stayed with us, and he felt quite at home as well. Breakfast was very good. A delicious cup of fresh fruit, a hash brown bottom quiche and bacon, and a scrumptious coffee cake. Coffee was plentiful, as was the oj. The Owners were friendly at breakfast and chatted with us while we ate. After breakfast, we settled our bill and packed up. This place beats any hotel you will stay at, and is pet friendly. The perfect pit stop for us! This place scores five stars for the price, cleanliness, pet friendly and yummy breakfast/coffee time.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with 2 bedrooms. Both were clean and comfy.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Boston
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My husband and I wanted a quick getaway at the end of the summer. Neither of us had made it to Maine yet despite living in New England for 7 years. We also wanted to take our small dog with us (my husband cannot bear to board her). Captain Briggs was perfect. Quiet, clean, and dog-friendly. It isn't over-the-top luxury, but it is quite comfortable. (And I didn't notice any dog hair despite there being at least 4 dogs there during my stay... not much noise from the dogs either.)

Bev was very accommodating. My husband is a vegetarian and, at the time, I was 6 months pregnant. She made sure that he had a vegetarian friendly breakfast each morning and that I had extra pillows in the bedroom. And about breakfast, it is fantastic and healthy. Expect fruit of some sort (sometimes with yogurt sometimes without) and then a solid main dish - like a hearty fruit tart or eggs benedict. Juice, coffee and tea, too. A family was also at the B&B, and Bev provided them with milk for their kids' cereal (the parents brought the cereal).

We would definitely go back... with dog and baby.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Forget-Me-Not room. Has a TV which is great because Freeport is dead at night. Wa...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 July 2013

.. and within a short walk of all the outlet shops of Freeport and L.L. Bean. Whenever I am in the Portland area or picking someone up at the Portland airport that requires an overnight stay, I head for Freeport. While the town is busy with tourists during the day, it calms at night. The Captain Briggs is easily reached and on a dead end street. The hosts were accommodating and breakfast delicious. If I were in the area again, I'd return to the Captain Briggs.

1 Thank Nancy J
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Being clean and allowing fido are two plusses. Keeping fido quiet with 4 dogs staying in the B&B is a challenge. It is within walking distance of Freeport shopping and right off of Main St. It works if you have no other choice. I found it very distasteful to be told to leave a tip because that how they enjoy their vacation. I tip on service not for someone to go on a vacation.

1 Thank CherylBoston
Charles T, Owner at Candlebay Inn, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
I am sorry that you felt that we told you that you had to leave a tip. I cannot believe that either my wife or I have ever told a guest that they needed to leave a tip. Tipping as you said is based on service. We have asked our guest to write reviews but not give tips.
Lowell, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We recently stayed in Freeport, ME for the July 4th weekend and we had a great time. Captain Briggs B&B is located right off Main St. on Maple Ave. It's a very convenient place to stay if you're looking to stay away from the crowds but still within walking/driving distance of the shops. We chose Captain Briggs because of the high prices in the nearby hotels. We've also traveled to and stayed at Freeport before and this was our third time there but first time at a B&B in Maine.

The location is perfect. Coming off of Main St., it is a bit of a small road and the street comes up suddenly right off Main St. right after the lights. The house itself is on the right with plenty of green space to have a nice walk around and there are seats to enjoy the outdoors. There is an adequate amount of parking, just enough for all the rooms.

The rooms are very nice. There are no televisions in the rooms (which is only a drawback if you come back from shopping and just want to see what's on). Our room was in the Daisy room. It was large enough to fit two double beds and a roll-away bed in the middle to fit everyone in my party. I did notice a huge amount of dog or cat hairs on the blue carpet underneath the beds, which was not great. The air conditioner was a little on the old side and took a while to cool the room but it eventually got there. The sinks are on the outside of the bathroom, right next to it though.

Breakfast was great every morning and it was just nice to chat with the Innkeepers about their travels and where they went, which made it feel like a true bed and breakfast.

Overall, I would check Captain Briggs out in addition to the other hotels around the area. Obviously, prices tend to go up during the summer season but Captain Briggs was within our price range whereas the bigger hotels were about $100 per night more. Unless you're not into B&B's, definitely check this place out.

Room Tip: Rooms are a bit small. Ask the Innkeepers any questions you may have about size. The maximum occupan...
Charles T, Owner at Candlebay Inn, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I do, however, need to correct a couple of misconceptions. First, we do have TVs in 2 of our rooms. Also, there is a TV in the Common Room for guest use. Second, since we do allow DOGS in the Inn, I admit it is a constant battle to get all of the DOG hair up when cleaning a room. I shall endeavor to do better. CATS are NEVER allowed in the Inn. Finally, the room that you stayed in had a double and a queen bed in it. It was made for 4 people only. By putting in a 5th (and a roll-away), it did admittedly make things a bit tight. Up until now, I have not charged extra for extra people or for the roll-away in the room. I will need to reconsider this policy in the future. Again, thank you for your feedback.
Lehigh Valley PA
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Very nice B&B in Freeport. Close to Bean's flagship store, but a quiet block off Main St. Very clean and the hosts are very accommodating. We were with our grandkids and Bev said, "Would the kids like pancakes?". I said "Yes" and Abby would love you if you made chocolate chip pancakes. She immediately said, "Of course.". Abby said the pancakes were "awesome" and I must say the blueberry pancakes she made for my wife and I were "pretty good" too! This was our 2nd visit to Captain Briggs and we plan on staying again the next time we are in Freeport

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family