“Quirky”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Freeport
Gallatin, Tennessee
“Quirky”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

What an odd little place! On a four week trip this was the weirdest place. Barely in south Freeport, it is a remnant of the 1960's. On the side of a hill, second floor rooms are first on the back. For an old place our room was clean. The associated restaurant was friendly and popular with locals. I thought the whole concept was quaint, but my wife was creeped out.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Seattle
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Stayed here one night on October 6, 2013. Hotel is rated as a three-star and branded as "Best Western Plus Inn". However, based on my experience, it should have been rated as a two-star or lower.

First of all, the hotel is located 4 miles outside of Freeport on a dark local highway - US 1. You definitely need your own car if you are in town for the outlet shopping. There are a few branded hotels located INSIDE Freeport - if you don't have a car. Please also note that this place has two buildings - one that is adjacent to the small building where the office is located and there is another one, which is located a good 500 yards away behind a restaurant called "Muddy Rudder". I suspect the second building used to be a different hotel/motel that got acquired. We were put in the second building upon check-in and therefore, out points made below are based on our experience in the "annex" building.

Immediately after we entered into our room in the annex building, we discovered that the desk lamp had an intermittent problem and would not stay lit. I called the front desk, wanting to get a different room. The woman who worked at the front desk told me that I would have to come to the office to exchange key cards for a different room. Hmm, it was dark, rainy and I would have to DRIVE to the office due the distance between the two buildings. I drove to the office nonetheless to pick up the room keys and moved our stuff to a different room. Later that night, when I used the bathroom, I noticed that a one-foot stretch along the edge of the bath tub looked brown - most likely it was mildew or mold... Kinda gross.

After I fell asleep that night, I was woken up by noise from the ceiling. Our room was on the first floor and the ceiling separating our space and the room on the second floor was paper thin - even though the guest above was simply walking in his/her room, there was so much noise that would wake me up. FYI - I'm not a light sleeper and the guest above was not trying to make any loud noise. I was woken up by the noise from the second floor again early next morning, when the guest above got up to shower ...

Overall, I feel the hotel should have been ranked as a two-star or less based our one-night stay in the annex building. I would not want to stay at this place if I'm visiting Freeport again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DanDanGo

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Everett, Washington
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I have stayed here at least 7 times. The employees are always willing to accommodate what I request. Rooms are always clean and very quiet. Price was excellent even when I called within a hour of heckling in.

Room Tip: Ask for building that is near the restaurant and for a room on the side of the river. Beautiful vie...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Mainerbychoice, Front Office Manager at Best Western Freeport Inn, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Thanks for your review. We have an excellent staff who are always willing to get you in a room of your choice. The Topside building which is on a hill above the Muddy Rudder has some nice views of the tidal river.
chicago
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We needed a place to stay north of the Portland ME airport. We stayed there twice - a night at the beginning and another at the end of our trip. The hotel is about five minutes south of the Freeport shopping area.

We stayed in the main building, close to the Cafe and the office. The room had plenty of space and was clean as well as comfortable. The staff with whom we interacted were helpful and I thought well trained.

The Cafe was convenient for late and early meals. According to the information in the room, the restaurant on the property does room service.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building, close to the Cafe. There is a second unit near the restaurant, perh...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed here in October 2013 and were very disappointed as we expected a BEST WESTERN to be a 4 or 5 * and this was no more than !*The place is old and run down with the lobby/front desk giving a bad first impression. Cameron on the front desk as well as the male waiter at THE CAFE were very pleasant and helpful. The rest was a BIG letdown. Beds were lumpy and noisy, very dated and bath tub/shower not cleaned for us after use .Card wouldn't open door to TOPSIDE section and other guests let us in. They also had trouble with being locked out the night before. Floor of our section 2nd floor felt very rickety and unsafe. Will never stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Theresa C
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

On this vacation to America, this was the poorest Best Western we've stayed in.
The bed mattress was very hard and uncomfortable. There was only one small sachet of body lotion in the room. Asking at front desk for more they could only hand over some VERY old and almost dried out ones.
Not putting a bottle of lotion in the room is NOT up to Best Western Plus standards.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Stayed at this Best Western for one night. It was a Priceline win. I bid on a 2.5* knowing that this hotel was a sure bet for a 3* bid. We were in a dorm-like building a good 15 min walk from the hotel. The only amenities that we had were an ice machine and soft drink machine. The first room we were in was ground level, step out the door and into the woods. The next room was better, a good size, clean, lots of towels. The vanity was tiny, my elbows touched the walls when brushing my teeth. Had this been a summer vacation, I would have been most unhappy to have to drive to get to the pool or lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for a main building room, there is a pool and a cafe there.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Comfort Suites
Hampton Inn Freeport/Brunswick
Ramada Plaza Portland
Ramada Plaza Portland
#13 of 19 in Portland

Been to Best Western Freeport Inn? Share your experiences!