All reviewsthe cottagesfront porchmodern luxuryfirewood providedeach cabin has its owndowntown freeportwooded areapeace and quietqueen bedfour nightslonger stayeach morningbar harborkitchenettefireplacethrowbackmaine
Reviewed 20 March 2011

The hotel was really cute and cozy. I liked the little fire places in the rooms. Our room wasa little small but some of the other rooms were bigger. The only drawback is it is a little far from the downtown. Great "mom and pop" business.( we did not find any mold or mildew in our rooms like the pictures from other people)

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Vintagevacationeers
Reviewed 13 February 2011

My husband and I have stayed here a half dozen times over the years....he even proposed to me here in front of the fireplace in our room. We have also stayed at the Freeport Inn and some B&Bs in Freeport, but we keep coming back to the Idyll. It's not a fancy place, so if you are high maintenance than you need a traditional hotel. What we enjoy here is that it has a country rustic pioneer type feeling...the cabins have alot of wood, there is artwork and poetry by relatives of the owners, it's just simple and relaxing. You get a break from the hustle and bustle....the price is inexpensive, about $80 or so, there is coffee and donuts in the morning in the main building. I like to sit on the porch and read in the rocker. We also like that it is a family owned business. Again, it's not for everyone, but we have always had a wonderful relaxing stay and we recommended it to our friends who were coming to Maine for a wedding. They liked it as well. You can have some fun without breaking the bank!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KingstonMurphy
Reviewed 28 September 2010

The quality from cabin to cabin is dramatically different. I was shown a 2 bedroom cabin last year with a communal living and eating area and two bedrooms well separated from each other. Based on this two bedroom cabin, I chose to stay in a nice single room cabin last year. This year, I reserved a cabin three months in advance based on the other two cabins. This was reserved for my son and wife for a week;; their arrival was delayed, so I checked into the cabin. The cabin I was given was totally inferior in quality. No bedside lamps, tables, dressers or room for luggage despite 2-3 adults planning to stay a week. There was a small t.v. in one cramped room separated from the other by a flimsy, drab wall; the room was depressing, towels flimsy; it was quite shocking in comparison to the cabin in which I stayed the prior year. When I explained that I no longer wanted to reserve the cabin, the owner actually said, "Your just sleeping in it." He kept my $50 deposit. Amazing.

• Stayed: August 2010
4  Thank MaggieBowdoinham
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We were expecting a simple cottage experience but really, we got a mattress and linens that must have been 20 years old, a room that hadn't been swept in ages (some impressive spider webs and dead bugs) and a moldy shower curtain in a shower smaller than a coffin! We tried to salvage it with a cheery fire in the fireplace, but the supplied wood was green and would only smolder. The plus is that the smoke smell covered up the cloying disinfectant smell (I can't imagine where they used it). With our backs aching, the next day we went down the road to the Village Inn and for ten dollars more got a lovely, simple, beautifully clean room with a nice bed and great breakfast!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kellyday
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Having spent childhood summers at camp in Maine, I like the rustic Maine experience. So the Maine Idyll Motor Court was just that - a rustic stay with basic amenities. We stayed in the "One Maine Pine" cottage. It is very small, and yes, you can hear the traffic from I-295. But the bed was comfortable, the cottage and bathroom were clean, and there was nice artwork and poetry on the walls. There is also a refrigerator and microwave. This is not the place if you need a lot of creature comforts. But it works well for the price if you like a pleasant cabin the woods. You definitely feel like you are in Maine when you stay there! It is close to Freeport and Brunswick, so a good base for exploring the area. There is a small continental breakfast provided in the morning - not elaborate but quite adequate.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple