“Cozy and Quaint”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Freeport
Maine Idyll Motor Court
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Freeport
Dillsburg, Pennsylvania
“Cozy and Quaint”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

The cabins were quaint! We had a 2 bedroom for the 4 of us. It had a nice kitchen area and a fireplace. Yummy breakfast made by the owner. Very reasonable for the size of the cottage. AC in our cottage big plus. Only down side was couldn't stay any longer.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank pianomomof2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

Most places in the Portland/Freeport area were booked for a last minute trip over Memorial Day weekend. I stumbled upon the Maine Idyll Motor Court, and am so glad I did. The business has been in the family since the 1930s, and there was a cozy and relaxing energy to the place. Everyone who worked there was friendly and happy, and the cabins were charming, many of which were complete with Adirondack chairs outside of the cottage, dry firewood and a stone fireplace, and new hardwood floors. There aren't many amenities here. The TV's are small, there aren't any phones in the rooms (although there are microwaves and fridges), and the towels and bedding were obviously washed many times.

You need to adjust your expectations before you arrive. It's way better than camping, but it's not fancy. It's cozy and homey, and was a welcoming location that I'm sure we'll frequent often on our travels up the coast. Do not stay here if you're looking for something elegant and luxurious. I'd pick the somewhat squishy bed and somewhat outdated decor over a chain hotel or expensive B&B any day. For the price and convenient location, it's really a gem in the woods of Maine. (Oh yeah, and dogs are $4 a night and there are homemade muffins and scones in the morning!) Such a nice change of pace and a trip back to simpler times.

Also, don't get turned off by the location on Route 1 just outside of Freeport. I was afraid it was going to be loud at night, but I didn't hear road noise once. It's very, very quiet at night, even during a weekend when most of the cabins were full. And if there is road noise, start a fire and let the popping of the wood put you to sleep!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelLikeaLocalVT
Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2011

This motor court reminds me of a place my grandmother might have brought me when i was a child. There were iron beds in our room--all of it, the bedspreads, the pillows, the decorations, nothing was mass produced, some of it was older, but it was in fine condition, clearly lovingly kept. (Isn't that better than some polyester mass produced thing with no character?) The room was clean, the rocking chairs on the porch out front beckoned so much that I had to delay our departure just to sit in them. We only stayed one night, and arrived too late to sign in, but had called ahead--they left the room open for us and we paid in the morning. Does that happen anywhere anymore? There were sweet poems on the wall written by one of the original owners of the motor court, along with a brief history of its owners past and present.

I would recommend this place to anyone who prefers authentic, unpretentious, idylls. It was a real bargain and a little jaunt back in time, I have to say that we did only stay one night. Even though it was closer to the street than I'd have wanted to be, it was a particularly busy weekend, but this was a Friday in the summer and it was fine -- maybe because it was nestled in a grove of woods that felt rural and smelled of pine. The morning we left (and paid) we found free coffee and breakfast treats. They weren't croissants and capuccino (I got that later) but it was free, and it wasn't necessary that they put it out at all. It was a nice surprise, like the motor court was itself.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cassielo
Katonah, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

The hotel was really cute and cozy. I liked the little fire places in the rooms. Our room wasa little small but some of the other rooms were bigger. The only drawback is it is a little far from the downtown. Great "mom and pop" business.( we did not find any mold or mildew in our rooms like the pictures from other people)

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Vintagevacationeers
Kingston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2011

My husband and I have stayed here a half dozen times over the years....he even proposed to me here in front of the fireplace in our room. We have also stayed at the Freeport Inn and some B&Bs in Freeport, but we keep coming back to the Idyll. It's not a fancy place, so if you are high maintenance than you need a traditional hotel. What we enjoy here is that it has a country rustic pioneer type feeling...the cabins have alot of wood, there is artwork and poetry by relatives of the owners, it's just simple and relaxing. You get a break from the hustle and bustle....the price is inexpensive, about $80 or so, there is coffee and donuts in the morning in the main building. I like to sit on the porch and read in the rocker. We also like that it is a family owned business. Again, it's not for everyone, but we have always had a wonderful relaxing stay and we recommended it to our friends who were coming to Maine for a wedding. They liked it as well. You can have some fun without breaking the bank!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KingstonMurphy
Bowdoinham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

The quality from cabin to cabin is dramatically different. I was shown a 2 bedroom cabin last year with a communal living and eating area and two bedrooms well separated from each other. Based on this two bedroom cabin, I chose to stay in a nice single room cabin last year. This year, I reserved a cabin three months in advance based on the other two cabins. This was reserved for my son and wife for a week;; their arrival was delayed, so I checked into the cabin. The cabin I was given was totally inferior in quality. No bedside lamps, tables, dressers or room for luggage despite 2-3 adults planning to stay a week. There was a small t.v. in one cramped room separated from the other by a flimsy, drab wall; the room was depressing, towels flimsy; it was quite shocking in comparison to the cabin in which I stayed the prior year. When I explained that I no longer wanted to reserve the cabin, the owner actually said, "Your just sleeping in it." He kept my $50 deposit. Amazing.

• Stayed August 2010
3 Thank MaggieBowdoinham
Greenfield, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

We were expecting a simple cottage experience but really, we got a mattress and linens that must have been 20 years old, a room that hadn't been swept in ages (some impressive spider webs and dead bugs) and a moldy shower curtain in a shower smaller than a coffin! We tried to salvage it with a cheery fire in the fireplace, but the supplied wood was green and would only smolder. The plus is that the smoke smell covered up the cloying disinfectant smell (I can't imagine where they used it). With our backs aching, the next day we went down the road to the Village Inn and for ten dollars more got a lovely, simple, beautifully clean room with a nice bed and great breakfast!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple