“Throwback to a Pleasant Era”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Freeport
Maine Idyll Motor Court
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 18 July 2008

Stayed at the Maine Idyll for one night on July 5, 2008 on my way to Mt. Desert Island. I booked it based upon all of the good reviews here on Trip Advisor and I was not disappointed. This is not a luxury hotel. The Maine Idyll is nothing like any of the chain hotels. So, if you demand luxurious accommodations, the Maine Idyll is probably not for you.

Cottage 11, where we spent the night, was extremely clean. The cottage definitely would have passed the white glove test. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom was recently updated and everything worked. Checking in to the hotel took about 2 minutes. The room had a refrigerator, a hot plate, large sink, bowls, cups, plates and utensils and a small table to sit down to eat. The continental breakfast in the morning was very good. They have a small veranda next to the office where you can sit and drink your coffee and juice and enjoy your fresh baked pastries. We started out enjoying our breakfast inside of the office but decided to move outside after my son dumped his hot chocolate all over the floor.

It is located directly on Route 1 about 5 minutes north of downtown Freeport. The location could not be better. Even though is is very close to I-295, it was not noisy.

I will definitely be staying at the Maine Idyll the next time I am in Freeport!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank SPFEsq

Reviewed 19 June 2008

We booked a cottage (# 9), based entirely on the reviews on TripAdvisor, and were not disappointed in any way. It was just as described - clean, fun, cozy, and met all of our needs. It reminded me of cottages we used to stay at in NH and brought back wonderful memories. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Blessedbe
Reviewed 27 April 2008

I stumbled across this gem about 12 years ago. My friend and I come every year to Freeport for shopping and an overnight trip and would not stay anywhere else. Each cabin has it's own charm. I like the ones with a fireplace and two rooms. They provide firewood. All have kitchenetts. These are nothing fancy but clean and confortable cabins with privacy. There are chairs or gliders on the porches for relaxing with a cocktail or wine. Pets are allowable on leashes. The continental breakfast is just that - coffee, tea, juice and homemade cake or muffincs. There are several hiking trails for a quick walk in the am.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank NHSag
Reviewed 25 December 2007

I decided on Maine Idyll Motor Court based on the wonderful reviews I read beforehand. After my stay there, I agree with the other reviewers. Maine Idyll Motor Court has old world charm. The cabins are like the kind I imagine Laura Ingalls Wilder lived in. As others have said, it is very basic but clean. The rooms are somewhat sparse and simple, the sheets and bedding is home-y, and no amenities really-- except there are some yummy home baked treats every morning. The owners provide blueberry scones, donut holes, etc. and coffee, tea, juice. I think they also live there too, and the reception area is in the cabin where they live. The owners are quite friendly too. I had a pleasant stay there. It wasn't as amazing as I was hoping it would be (some of the reviews got my expectations up too high), but it was definitely a very good value. Without a doubt I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank marlenellie
Reviewed 18 October 2007

This is a quaint old-style cabin motel. The grounds and the cabins are clean and reasonably well maintained. Linens are basic and a bit worn. Overall, we enjoyed our stay here - sure beats the typical mid-level motel.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2007

Stayed at the Maine Idyll Motor Court for two nights in mid-August and enjoyed the accommodations immensely. My small cabin (#3) had a tiny kitchenette and a working fireplace. It was very cozy, clean and comfortable - a little home away from home. The rates are very reasonable.

Each morning there are home made pastries and coffee for breakfast in the office.

Everyone at the Maine Idyll was friendly and helpful. I was part of a large group , and we were allowed the use of the living room in the main house to gather on the Saturday evening.

If you have not been there before, be sure to get directions from the management as various internet maps are not always accurate. The nearby exit (exit 24) off 295 is only for northbound traffic.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank Muffet37
Reviewed 16 September 2007

Hi Everyone,

My husband & I spent 3 weeks driving from Los Angeles to Maine. We ended our road trip at The Maine Idyll. What a delightful way to end a long road trip.

We stayed in cottage 13. It had a queen sized bed, kitchenette and a fireplace. We enjoyed preparing our own breakfast each morning. It was wonderful to be able to relax and have a leisurly breakfast. We also enjoyed having a fire every evening. The fireplace gave the room a real homey feel.

The one drawback were the two burners on the stove. They were kind of erratic and we had to keep adjsting the temperature knobs to get them to work. It was a small incovenience and the picturesque setting more than made up for it.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and hope to return soon.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple