“Wonderfully simple”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Freeport
Maine Idyll Motor Court
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Freeport
The Hill Country, Texas
“Wonderfully simple”
Reviewed 25 January 2009

My 11-year-old son and I were on a 28-day trip around the country as a part of his homeschooling. We spent two nights at the Maine Idyll and loved it. I would say my son enjoyed this place the most of all our lodging experiences. It is set in the woods and he enjoyed playing outside. The room smelled and looked like a comfortable cabin--not luxurious, just homey. There was a fireplace and wood and kindling were kept stocked on the front porch. The people we encountered there were very friendly. Other reviews mentioned the fact that the Main Turnpike is on the other side of the woods and road noise can be heard. This is true, but it was never noisy enough to be a concern for us, and we live in the middle of nowhere so are used to complete silence! I wouldn't recommend this place to someone seeking luxury and pampering, but if you want what feels like a real Maine experience, this is it.

Stayed October 2008
2 Thank Shmama

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed 24 September 2008

We stayed at the Maine Idyll because of the TA reviews. Were were there for 4 nights from 24-28 Sept 2008. It was quite a surprise. I had never stayed anywhere like that before. It was really charming and rustic and very clean. The reception/owners were very kind and helpful. We are interested in lighthouses and he directed us to Pemaquid Point about an hours drive from Maine Idyll. The breakfast treats are homemade and good and the coffee is also good.

It was large enought for our use and it has a charming front porch with chairs which we made good use of. We had Cabin #1. It had everything we needed. It does not have cable TV but the 3 channels are adequate to watch the news. There are so many things to explore in the area you don't need a TV. Having no phone was not an inconvience as almost everyone has a cell phone these days and there is good reception in the area. The fireplace was a nice feature and we used it every night. There is also a heater in the room.

I had read about the traffic but we never heard any from 295, as its really too far away. US 1 did have traffic noise but generally stopped about 10:00 pm. And the heater and TV drowned that out.

I highly recommend the Maine Idyll for everyone. Families with young children wil have a ball hiking and exploring and playing in the playgound. There are many choices of food in Freeport esp. if you love seafood and lobster! And Bella's Subs in Freeport makes awesome subs with fresh ingredients. So go and enjoy the seclusion.

• Liked — The seclusion and the location- it was so convenient to everything.
  • Disliked — The shower curtains could be changed out.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gomac
Saint John, New Brunswick
Reviewed 6 September 2008

After reading the reviews for Maine Idyll online we were very excited to spend a couple of nights there after our stay in Kittery...one night would have sufficed. The cabin itself was pretty nice and featured all wood interior. Even though we knew there wouldn't be a phone...as a tourist you could really use one and you don't really notice until you don't have one. There was a TV, however you grow tired of the 3 channels pretty quickly. Our cabin had a hot plate and mini fridge and a fireplace that would have been nice if the mortar wasn't worn away enough to see outside through a 4 inch gap. On the second night, we went to a different cabin at Maine Idyll to have the use of a tub. We noticed a familiar 4 inch gap around the fireplace so I have to assume this is an area of concern for all of them. The second cabin was pretty much the same. There is not much to do and the small playground is very outdated and we wouldn't let our son play there. This is not a great place for young couples or families with small children such as ourselves as there is really nothing to do there for entertainment. The outlets in Freeport are okay, but other than LL Bean I would recommend gong to Kittery. I'm glad we went to Freeport to try it out for ourselves, but in the future it will be a day trip only. We also couldn't find many places to eat....Friendly's and Mcdonalds.

The people that run Maine Idyll are nice enough, but they and Maine Idyll are too old fashioned for a young family and younger guests. They did offer a "breakfast" which was coffee and muffins which was a nice touch. Also, a lot of the other reviews mention being between 2 highways which were loud. Well it's true, you are between 2 highways, but we didn't hear much from them at all. We strongly recommend Kittery and the Litson Villas in particular...the location was excellent and the cabin far superior.

If you're looking for a quiet getaway with no modern conveniences this is for you...I hope this helps!

• Liked — Leaving.
  • Disliked — Boring. There was nothing to do. Very unimpressed with the holes in the fireplace.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Dartmouth, NS
Reviewed 25 July 2008

The cottages are in a great location, however..... I feel that the time has come for the owners to put abit of $$ into the cottages. I stayed in June & was very disappointed in my cottage. I like the rustic feel but it would be nice to have a mirror you can see in. The shower was disgusting & the only thing that was touched from day to day by maid service was the bed. I stayed here before & told everyone I know what a good deal it was. Now I tell people not to stay here. Please fix this place up!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
Reviewed 23 July 2008

Just wanted to add another positive review of the Maine Idyll. It's very clean and simple, but perfectly adequate for a one- or two-night stay. There's something very sweet about it, and if you went to summer camp in the northeast, the scent of the cabins may bring you back down memory lane. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank nooyawk
Hampstead, Maryland
Reviewed 18 July 2008

Stayed at the Maine Idyll for one night on July 5, 2008 on my way to Mt. Desert Island. I booked it based upon all of the good reviews here on Trip Advisor and I was not disappointed. This is not a luxury hotel. The Maine Idyll is nothing like any of the chain hotels. So, if you demand luxurious accommodations, the Maine Idyll is probably not for you.

Cottage 11, where we spent the night, was extremely clean. The cottage definitely would have passed the white glove test. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom was recently updated and everything worked. Checking in to the hotel took about 2 minutes. The room had a refrigerator, a hot plate, large sink, bowls, cups, plates and utensils and a small table to sit down to eat. The continental breakfast in the morning was very good. They have a small veranda next to the office where you can sit and drink your coffee and juice and enjoy your fresh baked pastries. We started out enjoying our breakfast inside of the office but decided to move outside after my son dumped his hot chocolate all over the floor.

It is located directly on Route 1 about 5 minutes north of downtown Freeport. The location could not be better. Even though is is very close to I-295, it was not noisy.

I will definitely be staying at the Maine Idyll the next time I am in Freeport!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank SPFEsq
NH
Reviewed 19 June 2008

We booked a cottage (# 9), based entirely on the reviews on TripAdvisor, and were not disappointed in any way. It was just as described - clean, fun, cozy, and met all of our needs. It reminded me of cottages we used to stay at in NH and brought back wonderful memories. We will definitely return.

• Liked — Nostalgic cottage with current amenities
  • Disliked — Some may prefer thicker towels, but they were adequate
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple