“Fine if You Know What to Expect”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Freeport
Maine Idyll Motor Court
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 25 August 2009

I have been passing by the Maine Idyll since the early 1960’s and finally decided that I should spend a night there, having grown up with New England cottage and cabin colonies.
Most of what has been reported to Trip Advisor is true. What one must remember is that it is not a Residence Inn or even Super 8 and makes no effort to be like one, so don’t expect AC, carpets, wi-fi, electronic room keys, etc.
Cabin 2 was squeaky clean except for a tiny line of mold along the bottom of the shower curtain in the updated shower stall. With the rainy, humid weather New England has endured all summer, this is probably to be expected, as the cabins are shaded by giant hemlock trees, and things have no opportunity to dry out completely.
Amenities include screens, a fan, a broom and dustpan, microwave, small refrigerator, cable TV with a couple of dozen channels, and, in the morning, light homemade pastries and good coffee in the office lobby. There has been considerable discussion on Trip Advisor about the traffic noise. The expressway behind the cabins was built long after they were there and I hope someone gave the management mitigation money for any possible lost business. I live in an extremely rural area and am used to a very quiet night with windows open. The traffic sounds very far off and were not a problem at all. Children will like the new playground equipment, I’m sure.
A few caveats: Bring a bright light bulb for the bedside lamp if you read in bed. If you are tall, you will have a problem with your feet hitting the pipe bed frame. Also, if you go out for the evening, do not turn on the porch light or you will have many insect visitors upon your return! And there is an odor inside the place that I could not identify. I think it was a very strong cleaning solution which I can still smell two days after my visit.

The next time I’d like to bring the grandkids and let them explore all the trails.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 August 2009

I wanted to love this place, even like it but I cannot say I favor either one. We were glad it was only 1 night and kind of hated the fact that I had already paid up front a few months prior because we would have gotten our money back and went somewhere else. With all the love given to this place via all the people who have posted to Tripadvisor I was extremely disappointed. When we had first driven to the back of the property to our cottage we were shocked that it faced Interstate 295 and wanted to see if we could move to a space that would be located in the middle of the road (Route 1) and the interstate to minimize the road noise. No such luck, they were booked. So we just hoped our 2 fans (1 fan was provided and the other one was ours) would drown out the noise. We weren’t so lucky. We heard all the BIG trucks and vehicles all night.

On top of the road noise the cottage was extremely filthy and down right nasty including a smell that made we worry about the last time this cottage was actually cleaned. There was mold on the ceiling of the bathroom as well as the floor was dirty in the entire place. I was actually scared to sleep in the bed which led to a not so pleasant night. We couldn’t wait to leave.

I would honestly not recommend this place. There are plenty of other places to stay in the area which are much more enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neatoconchito
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I lost my money because I would not stay in such a filthy looking place. I left and went up the road to a much cleaner and safer looking motel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2009

I can't explain how wonderful this little place is. It is perfect because there are little lights with tiny lampshades that have been there since the family first started it in 1932, fireplaces with geodes in the center, scones in the morning, poems written by the original owner pinned to the walls behind the bed. It is perfect because you feel completely esconced in a disappearing world when you are inside. So relaxing, so simple. We have been over 8 times in the last 2.5 years and are going again in 4 weeks. I just pray every time we go that it will never change. My husband and I love going alone , and with the kids. We don't even shop in Freeport, we just go for Maine IDyll!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katiemaydu4
Reviewed 30 January 2009

If you are looking for a glam place, dont stay here! BUT! If you are looking to save money to shop at the outlets, you cant beat the value! This is the best place we found for our family of 6, where else can you stay in Freeport for less than $100 a night?! Of course, you wont have the nicer comfy beds, I kinda like the squeaky beds! and the place smells of fireplace, but they accept our dog, and it is clean. Plus, how long do you really stay in your room, only for sleeping once you hit the outlets! We have been staying there for years, on our way up to our summer house, and love being frugal for the one night! Sure they can convert the place to a 4* but it would not have the same charm or affordability. If you want luxury, take your $200+ and stay in Freeport. Love the family, and the surroundings are quiet.
Summer 2009, here we come!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank Dalvay
Reviewed 25 January 2009

My 11-year-old son and I were on a 28-day trip around the country as a part of his homeschooling. We spent two nights at the Maine Idyll and loved it. I would say my son enjoyed this place the most of all our lodging experiences. It is set in the woods and he enjoyed playing outside. The room smelled and looked like a comfortable cabin--not luxurious, just homey. There was a fireplace and wood and kindling were kept stocked on the front porch. The people we encountered there were very friendly. Other reviews mentioned the fact that the Main Turnpike is on the other side of the woods and road noise can be heard. This is true, but it was never noisy enough to be a concern for us, and we live in the middle of nowhere so are used to complete silence! I wouldn't recommend this place to someone seeking luxury and pampering, but if you want what feels like a real Maine experience, this is it.

Stayed: October 2008
2  Thank Shmama
Reviewed 24 September 2008

We stayed at the Maine Idyll because of the TA reviews. Were were there for 4 nights from 24-28 Sept 2008. It was quite a surprise. I had never stayed anywhere like that before. It was really charming and rustic and very clean. The reception/owners were very kind and helpful. We are interested in lighthouses and he directed us to Pemaquid Point about an hours drive from Maine Idyll. The breakfast treats are homemade and good and the coffee is also good.

It was large enought for our use and it has a charming front porch with chairs which we made good use of. We had Cabin #1. It had everything we needed. It does not have cable TV but the 3 channels are adequate to watch the news. There are so many things to explore in the area you don't need a TV. Having no phone was not an inconvience as almost everyone has a cell phone these days and there is good reception in the area. The fireplace was a nice feature and we used it every night. There is also a heater in the room.

I had read about the traffic but we never heard any from 295, as its really too far away. US 1 did have traffic noise but generally stopped about 10:00 pm. And the heater and TV drowned that out.

I highly recommend the Maine Idyll for everyone. Families with young children wil have a ball hiking and exploring and playing in the playgound. There are many choices of food in Freeport esp. if you love seafood and lobster! And Bella's Subs in Freeport makes awesome subs with fresh ingredients. So go and enjoy the seclusion.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple