All reviewsthe cottagesfront porchmodern luxuryfirewood providedeach cabin has its owndowntown freeportwooded areapeace and quietqueen bedfour nightslonger stayeach morningbar harborkitchenettefireplacethrowbackmaine
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We were expecting a simple cottage experience but really, we got a mattress and linens that must have been 20 years old, a room that hadn't been swept in ages (some impressive spider webs and dead bugs) and a moldy shower curtain in a shower smaller than a coffin! We tried to salvage it with a cheery fire in the fireplace, but the supplied wood was green and would only smolder. The plus is that the smoke smell covered up the cloying disinfectant smell (I can't imagine where they used it). With our backs aching, the next day we went down the road to the Village Inn and for ten dollars more got a lovely, simple, beautifully clean room with a nice bed and great breakfast!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kellyday
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Having spent childhood summers at camp in Maine, I like the rustic Maine experience. So the Maine Idyll Motor Court was just that - a rustic stay with basic amenities. We stayed in the "One Maine Pine" cottage. It is very small, and yes, you can hear the traffic from I-295. But the bed was comfortable, the cottage and bathroom were clean, and there was nice artwork and poetry on the walls. There is also a refrigerator and microwave. This is not the place if you need a lot of creature comforts. But it works well for the price if you like a pleasant cabin the woods. You definitely feel like you are in Maine when you stay there! It is close to Freeport and Brunswick, so a good base for exploring the area. There is a small continental breakfast provided in the morning - not elaborate but quite adequate.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank explorewithmore
Reviewed 20 August 2010

I found this place very cute and charming. It offered our family everything we need as to kitchen, refrigerator, etc. Outside the cottage was a grill and picnic table. Love their breakfast as well, homemade scones , cookies, muffins, orange juices, etc. Bang for your buck! I didnt mind if they only accept cash or checks. So make sure you have cash with you! About its location it is only a couple of miles away from Freeport's outlet mall. I will surely come back again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Tennisbliss
Reviewed 20 July 2010

We got a room here after a last minute cancellation for a Saturday night stay. In the Portland/Freeport area, the cheapest hotel I could find was $109 + tax for a Super 8. Staying at the Maine Idyll for $72 inc. tax was a steal in comparision.

We stayed in #18 which was closest to the interstate and is a beautiful cottage made out of "One Maine Pine". The evening was VERY hot. As a result we had a number of windows open and yes - there was some road noise. We turned on the provided fan and *poof* no more noise! In fact, this was the best sleep I had in the four nights we travelled.

The bottom line is that for 72 bucks a night, don't expect perfection. Sure there was a hole in the shower curtain, the room was small, and there was no A/C. But it was clean, close to town, and it's a local, family-owned business. The owner even took time to show us his antique car!

I would highly recommend this business if you're looking for a decent night's sleep close to the shopping action for a cheap price. If you're looking for all the amenities of a three star hotel, you should look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CaperGal
Reviewed 6 July 2010

After travelling to Freeport several times and paying top dollar for mediocre hotel rooms I decided to give the Maine Idyll Court a try. The Maine Idyll is exactly what I've been looking for: clean, cheap with all the basics. I go there to shop so I don't need a lavish hotel suite. I'm just looking for a place to shower and relax for a couple hours before heading to bed.

It is just a step away from the village (about a three minute drive). We stayed in Cabin #9 for two nights. The cabin was cute, spotlessly clean and had all the basic amenities. Ours was a 2 bedroom and had one tv and one fireplace, a kitchenette and a basic bathroom. Each cabin has a porch with chairs and firewood for the fireplace.

This business was established in the 30's and guests will notice it's a slow-paced, laid back place. They do not accept plastic, cash only. Every morning they have fresh baking right out of the oven for breakfast. When we were there we had delicious blueberry coffee cake. It was excellent!

We will be returning to the Maine Idyll on all our future Freeport trips.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends