“I wish I had read the reviews first.”

Freeport Chowder House
Ranked #48 of 62 Restaurants in Freeport
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Fast, wait time around 5 minutes for anything on the menu We make every thing from scratch, chowders, Home made french fries Onion rings, all the fish and chicken is cut fresh by our chef. He has been in the restaurant Business.for 50 years, has worked at the Beach Club Hotel in Naples Fla. and came home to work for Capt. Newicks in South Portland where they won best clams in the State of Maine many times when he was the leed cook.
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My husband and I both ordered the fish and chips and a cup of chowder that were on special. The cup was small, but that was okay because the chowder wasn't very good. I didn't even finish my small portions. I have no idea how it has won any awards. The fish and chips consisted of some fried fish and French fries. The fish didn't taste very fresh. I won't be go it back!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We found this place by chance while shopping. A woman was handing out a flyer with a coupon while we were walking on the street. We decided to give it a try and were so glad we did. The clam chowder was absolutely delicious! We also had a fish sandwich and fries. The fish was fried but very light, flavorful and not greasy at all, it was so good. We loved it. The gentleman working there was very friendly and we felt very welcome there. We will definitely at there again during our next visit.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

While shopping at Freeport outlets, someone stopped us and gave us a coupon for Freeport Chowder House. So, we decided to give it a try for lunch. How lucky we were! The lobster roll was the best we had in Maine! It had no mayo and came with melted butter to drizzle over the large lumps of lobster. The clam chowder was heavenly---great big pieces of clam and potatoes in a creamy base. One roll and one bowl fed both of us. We are sooo glad we stopped---you should too!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We went in for the "award winning clam chowder." We left with a stomach ache.
I don't look for anything fancy in a chowder house, but I do wish the tables were wiped occasionally and that you could see through the windows. The chowder was ok, not as many clams as we would expect. The tables and the floors were much too grimy for noontime on a Saturday. There are so many places to grab a bite in Freeport, I see no reason to go back here.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

this was the first time we had been there since they refurbished--big improvement.....pleasant booths....had the lunch special "clam chowder/fried haddock"....the chowder was some of the best we have had, lots of clams....the haddock ( 4 good sized pieces) was done perfectly....the two of us split the meal and there was more than enough.....down side was the French fries were just so-so...but for a quick lunch will go again....