“Much to be desired”

Freeport Chowder House
Ranked #45 of 61 Restaurants in Freeport
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 29 April 2014

It was cold and rainy day and we just wanted some warm chowder. Well that's what we got. The chowder was so hot it burned our mouths which would have been okay had it been tasty. My lobster stew had a few chunks of lobster floating in a creamy sauce that looked to have separated...it looked like butter grease floating in light cream. No stirring brought it together. And there was no flavor at all. I had to put salt, pepper and hot sauce to get anything to resemble a flavor.
And the prices?? Way out of line. I was so disappointed.

There are newer reviews for Freeport Chowder House

Reviewed 26 April 2014

My husband and I both ordered the fish and chips and a cup of chowder that were on special. The cup was small, but that was okay because the chowder wasn't very good. I didn't even finish my small portions. I have no idea how it has won any awards. The fish and chips consisted of some fried fish and French fries. The fish didn't taste very fresh. I won't be go it back!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We found this place by chance while shopping. A woman was handing out a flyer with a coupon while we were walking on the street. We decided to give it a try and were so glad we did. The clam chowder was absolutely delicious! We also had a fish sandwich and fries. The fish was fried but very light, flavorful and not greasy at all, it was so good. We loved it. The gentleman working there was very friendly and we felt very welcome there. We will definitely at there again during our next visit.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

While shopping at Freeport outlets, someone stopped us and gave us a coupon for Freeport Chowder House. So, we decided to give it a try for lunch. How lucky we were! The lobster roll was the best we had in Maine! It had no mayo and came with melted butter to drizzle over the large lumps of lobster. The clam chowder was heavenly---great big pieces of clam and potatoes in a creamy base. One roll and one bowl fed both of us. We are sooo glad we stopped---you should too!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We went in for the "award winning clam chowder." We left with a stomach ache.
I don't look for anything fancy in a chowder house, but I do wish the tables were wiped occasionally and that you could see through the windows. The chowder was ok, not as many clams as we would expect. The tables and the floors were much too grimy for noontime on a Saturday. There are so many places to grab a bite in Freeport, I see no reason to go back here.

Been to Freeport Chowder House? Share your experiences!