“Best of the Best!”

Freeport Chowder House
Ranked #39 of 61 Restaurants in Freeport
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Fast, wait time around 5 minutes for anything on the menu We make every thing from scratch, chowders, Home made french fries Onion rings, all the fish and chicken is cut fresh by our chef. He has been in the restaurant Business.for 50 years, has worked at the Beach Club Hotel in Naples Fla. and came home to work for Capt. Newicks in South Portland where they won best clams in the State of Maine many times when he was the leed cook.
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We travel up North to Freeport, ME frequently; every time we visit, without fail, we make it a point to stop at the Freeport Chowder House. Everything on the menu is excellent, but you can not beat the corn chowder and fried shrimp! Prepared simply and with love by Tom Brown, the food at the Freeport Chowder House is true comfort. Make it a point to stop in, say hello, and TRY THE CORN CHOWDER! You'll be glad you did, and you will be back.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Today I found a great little hole in the wall. Freeport Chowder House had a wonderful hot seafood chowder; I usually order clam chowder when out but today I made a change. Not overly thick but with good texture and creamy,consistency with more fish than potatoes and really good balanced seasonings. Hubby had the clam chowder and shared that it was very good...must have been since he didn't even offer a taste. We both had the lobstah rolls! Probably could have shared one! Seemed as if there was a lot of lobster....1/2 lb or maybe closer to a full pound. No mayonnaise...it was provided but I'm a purist and don't like my lobster rolls drenched in the white stuff. I added just a touch on my roll. If you're up in Freeport...find this small place and enjoy. We'll be back! As I said..it is a small place, 4-5 booths but it was filled. Thanks for a great lunch.

1  Thank Sharon B
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Chowder and fried fresh fish....nirvana for this transplanted northern New Englander!! The fish chowder was hot and tasty...the corn chowder was excellent and the fish & chips was superb! Hole-in-the-wall place with superior food!!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

It was cold and rainy day and we just wanted some warm chowder. Well that's what we got. The chowder was so hot it burned our mouths which would have been okay had it been tasty. My lobster stew had a few chunks of lobster floating in a creamy sauce that looked to have separated...it looked like butter grease floating in light cream. No stirring brought it together. And there was no flavor at all. I had to put salt, pepper and hot sauce to get anything to resemble a flavor.
And the prices?? Way out of line. I was so disappointed.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

My husband and I both ordered the fish and chips and a cup of chowder that were on special. The cup was small, but that was okay because the chowder wasn't very good. I didn't even finish my small portions. I have no idea how it has won any awards. The fish and chips consisted of some fried fish and French fries. The fish didn't taste very fresh. I won't be go it back!