“Overpriced for condition of campgrounds”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Freeport
Recompence Shore Campground at Wolfe's Neck Farm
Madison, Wisconsin
“Overpriced for condition of campgrounds”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We stayed for two nights on a waterfront site. The site was extremely muddy, and I felt that the office should have recommended another site since the campground was not full. Of course, we probably should have requested a change, but by the time we drove in and found our site, we didn't want to brave the gravel road back out. The long gravel road was in poor condition with potholes - not fun with a truck and camper. The scenery was beautiful, but we enjoyed it most at the nearby state park. Freeport is a lovely town, but the main attraction is shopping...not a favorite pass time for us with four young children. The restrooms were clean, and the kids enjoyed ice cream at the snack shack, but otherwise we were quite disappointed with the campground. It was quite pricey (I believe $55/night) for a site with no water or electric.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank L S
Recompence, Manager at Recompence Shore Campground at Wolfe's Neck Farm, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Hi L S – Thank you for your feedback! I’m sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your stay. It is very important to us that our guests enjoy their camping experience, and would have been glad to help you find a site that was more suitable for you. With 130 campsites priced between $26-46 per night, we have a wide variety of sites, and nearly every one is a little different. Sometimes our roads do get a little bumpy, especially after wet weather. However, many people find our unpaved roads a welcome change and enjoy the rustic, scenic quality of camping on a historic working saltwater farm.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed this campground! The lady that works in the office during the day is so nice. We are from Georgia & I found this campground online. Couldnt have been any happier with it. Beautiful scenery & great spots to put up tents with a great view!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Durham, Maine
Reviewed 9 September 2012

This was a perfect camping spot. Beautfiul scenery, private, quiet, peaceful. This is what camping should be! Love the farm. I've camped for 30 years and my 4th time at Recompence and it just keeps getting better and better. Thank you Jackie & Jim for suggesting an amazing site. We will definately be back!!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Milan, NH
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This past July my boyfriend and I enjoyed a quick camping (and shopping) getaway in Freeport, ME. I was a little unsure of what to expect as we were in the section of the campground with the new bath house and playground area - I am happy to report that we were pleasantly surprised. We had a great wooded campsite that fit our tent, truck and pop-up canopy perfectly and we were conveniently located to the new bath house. This campground has great walking trails and ocean access (kayak rentals were available) and offered fun amenities like a community lobster bake and wagon rides. My boyfriend and I lucked out because they were also hosting a wedding that weekend; we sat fireside underneath the stars with the faint sound of bluegrass music in the distant background.

P.S.
The various outlets, L.L. Bean center, restaurants and other downtown Freeport attractions are literally 5 minutes away.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
New Hampshire
Reviewed 3 September 2012

This is our first time back into camping now that our kids are off to college. We were very happy with the location by the ocean, yet had a lovely quiet site in wooded shade. We were impressed by the size of each site and that we did not feel as though our neighbors were crowding us at all. Yes, the campground is a few notches above primitive, (outhouses rather than bathrooms throughout, but very clean! and always with plenty of TP) - we were not looking for a campground with a pool, activities director or lots of noise. This is a great place to get back to nature and enjoy each other. The Lobster Bake at the Farm was a great experience with Barn Dance after.
Staff were very helpful and friendly - the website sealed the deal for us to book!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Wareham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 August 2012

My sister reserved a section on the campground for the night of her wedding but some how the reservation was never made, people got booked in our section and when the camp realized their mistake they did not move them. So the end of June they figure things out and I reserve a site for late August. I get to the camp site and just unpacking in the site between me and my sisters high school buddies is a family with a baby and a yappy little puppy. Poor people, I'm sure we ruined their night, every time we laughed or used the bathroom the puppy started barking and then the baby cried, and poor us after months of careful planning we got security called on us for sitting by the campfire. It seems the campground was not concerned about the experience of ANY of their guests,

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Courtney Lee P
Pine Knoll Shores, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 August 2012

This is a very nice and quaint campground, and I really enjoyed my stay. The location on the water was not only pretty but provided many hours of recreation. The campground has kayaks that you could rent and take out into the water. I kayaked to Osprey Island (not too long of a trip) and watched the osprey in their nests. There are also new bathrooms located in one section of the campground (I think west bay, but I could be wrong) that have flush toilets and nice new and large showers. This was a very nice accommodation and I definitely enjoyed using these toilets more so than the outhouses. Lastly the staff was very nice and respectful of the campers and will try to fix any problems you may have. I also went to a lobster bake put on by the campground which provided for a very nice evening.

Over all it was a very nice stay, and a great experience for my second camping trip ever. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank KS179
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Harraseeket Inn
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,303 reviews
Beach Cove Waterfront Inn
Beach Cove Waterfront Inn
#5 of 13 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Recompence Shore Campground at Wolfe's Neck Farm? Share your experiences!