“Absolutely Delicious Lunch”

Price range: US$12 - US$36
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Azure, in Freeport’s historic North End & two doors from LL Bean, is a taste of Italy on the Coast of Maine. Visit the Freeport restaurant that has won Wine Spectator’s Award of Excellence for ten consecutive years, was featured as “Editor’s Choice” for Yankee Magazine and won the Maine Lobster Chef of the Year competition. In the summer, dine on Azure’s garden patio under canvas umbrellas. Inside, Azure prepares authentic Italian and Maine dishes with fresh, local ingredients. Local favorite and proud community supporter. Dinner reservations are encouraged.
Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

I read the Maine Coast Fodor’s guide and went with their Freeport recommendation and it did not disappoint. We went here on our way from Acadia to Ogunquit and it was a absolutely delicious lunch before visiting LL Bean. My husbands lobster scampi was so good while I had the seafood soup and the beet salad. Healthy options, great outdoor ambience.

Reviewed 27 August 2018

THIS CAFE HAS ALWAYS BEEN TOP OF THE TOP RESTAURANT IN FREEPORT. My visit last Thursday was the biggest disappointment. We ordered a cocktail which was amazing, however from sitting to sipping the drink it took close to an hour, honest. Then when looking over the menu, we found haddock is no longer available instead they service POLLUCK. If you gave it to me free I would not eat that fish. We left after the drink well past an hour and was so disappointed. Haddock is a staple in this state. Never will return again

AzureCafeFreeport, Owner at Azure Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Thank you for your feedback. I am so sorry. I share your disappointment in not having Haddock on our menu. We removed Haddock 5 or 6 years ago when Fresh Maine Haddock became as hard to find as a Leprechaun at the end of the rainbow. Haddock is so overfished and depleted, I am afraid it will soon go the way of Maine Shrimp (now illegal to fish. removed from our menu about 8 years ago when supplies started to shrink) and Wild Atlantic Salmon (virtually non-existent). Today, most Haddock in Maine is frozen and imported from Scandanavia. Our preference is to serve fresh, always. The only way we could do that was to switch to pollock. Again, my apologies.

Reviewed 27 August 2018

I try to dine at the Azure at least once a year during frequent trips to Freeport. There are plenty of good restaurants in that town but I've had good experiences at the Azure. This evening my wife and I stopped on our way up to Brunswick and sat in the patio with 6 PM reservations. There were plenty of tables at 5:45 when we arrived but they started to fill fast. I started with a blueberry Margarita. I don't usually drink Margaritas but when I'm at this café I seem to have one of the exotic fruity things. I enjoyed it very much while eating some of the delicious bread and olive oil that our waiter brought. My wife had the chicken Marsala ( which I probably would have ordered if she hadn't) and I had the pollo carbonara, I started with a cup of "award winning" clam chowder which, I must say, was very good. I am a chowder aficionado and don't appreciate poorly (cheaply) concocted chowders but was satisfied with this one. My carbonara was a crispy chicken breast (almost reminded me of Shake 'N Bake) on a bed of pasta with peas, mushrooms, shallots, and pancetta mixed (I think) with a mild alfredo. Tasty and satisfying. My wife's Marsala was as I expected-flavorful and rich. So I checked Café Azure off on my "must do this summer" list and was glad that I did. I'll be back again.

Reviewed 26 August 2018 via mobile

We pass through Freeport every two years or so, and Azure has for years been our favorite place to eat here. Not so much now. The clam chowder, though tasty, was way too thick. And the beef tenderloin, at $32 for a small serving of beef over thick and gooey (not creamy as advertised) risotto, was way overpriced. The drinks seemed generous until I noticed the prices - $16 for a margarita? The best part of the meal by far was the Caesar salad.

Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

Had the salmon which was prepared just to my liking. My husband had a lobster and shrimp linguine which was also very good.

Been to Azure Cafe? Share your experiences!