“Fantastic Food!”

Ranked #9 of 61 Restaurants in Freeport
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We had lunch at the Jameson Tavern and loved it! The service was great and the old tavern décor was really neat. But, the food was AMAZING! The Lobster Stew was to die for with the largest chunks of lobster I had ever seen in a stew. The Lobster Roll was also excellent, large succulent pieces of flavorful lobster. My son had a grilled cheese sandwich which he said was the best he had ever had. My husband had the Split Pea soup which was a special that day and he loved it too. The fresh bread served with the meal was fresh and hot. We had a great lunch here and would highly recommend the Jameson Tavern.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Whenever my husband and I go to Freeport, we always have lunch here at the tavern. Great selection of beers on tap. Great comfort food at reasonable prices.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I was really pleased to see the tavern open again under new ownership! and pleased to see how well run it is? The food and service met my expectations, and I will return.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

We were visiting my Brother in Boston, and drove up to Freeport, Maine for a day trip. Being from Kansas we wanted to try some authentic clam chowder. Boy did we make the right choice. That clam chowder was the best any of us had ever tasted. My mom swore you could taste the buter and the cream, and the clams were plentiful and mild. I ordered a cup of chowder and a lobster roll, as being a midwest country "beef" girl, I wanted to tast Maine lobster. It was very good~big chunks of lobster in a very light mayo on a small toasted bun. My family had the fish and chips . They were pieces of haddock lightly breaded and so light and mild~delicious. I would have traded by Lobster roll though, for another cup of chowder. I will dream of that chowder for a long time. The Tavern is beautiful and is so old with so much history. A picture perfect place to have a "classic New England cup of Chowder".

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Last time I visited, a couple of years ago, the tavern had the full restaurant (now another store) and the atmosphere and food were memorable. This time we found it is limited to one smaller room that has very little atmosphere. The food was good, the service excellent but I miss the old tavern feel. Too bright and a bit noisy. May return for lunch but want a bit more for dinner.