“Good Price, Happy People, Okay Facility”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Freeport
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I saw a couple poor reviews of the hotel so was a little leery in booking here. But in all the places I researched this was one of the least expensive hotels with good proximity to Portland (about 20 minutes I guess), and that met my minimum standards (somewhere safe, clean, nice).

Okay bad first. The shower and sink are very slow to drain, which sounds silly but it can be a bit annoying when you have to turn the water off continually in fear that it will all overflow. I am on the highway side of the hotel, and that can be annoying so if you don't like the sound of constant traffic going by I might request the other side against Rte 1 which is probably quieter. Noisy plastic covering on mattress. I assure you it has been a long time since I've wet the bed, and found this almost a little insulting compared to other places I've stayed where I never noticed this.

Okay now good. I was greeted immediately upon arrival - a super helpful front desk person (I really wish I took note of her name), who helped me check in and connected me with a place to eat after a long day of travel - after many places had closed. The room is clean and spacious with a climate control system that was very effective. Plenty of hot water for shower (always a plus). Oh, and free breakfast - nothing fancy by any means (I particularly detest frozen egg patties but hey maybe some people like them), with an assortment of fruit (apples, bananas, oranges), bagels, pancakes, sausage, cereals, etc.

Would I stay again? Maybe. It was not compelling enough to wow me (do something crazy like offer a unique breakfast, have snacks out, something different!) so I will check out other places away from the noise of the highway.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for room on the Route 1 side (other side is against a busy highway)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
hiexpressfreeport, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Freeport, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Scot,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your review. I am glad to hear you were greeted with a cheerful and helpful guest service agent, however I am sorry to her you may not be staying with us again.

The mattresses all have some sort of protector on them, however they should not be noisy or of any bother. I am thinking that it may be one of the new mattresses and the plastic was accidently left on it? I am not really sure to be honest, however, I will be sending maintenance to check all new beds to make sure the wrapping was taken off.

Thank you for taking time to leave us feedback and we really do hope to have you stay with us again. Please call us directly for best rates and to guarantee the Route 1 side of the hotel which is nice and quiet!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Freeport

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I never got to stay at this hotel because they booked my arrival as 4/24 not 5/24 and charged me the full price when I never arrived for my reservation instead of a cancellation fee. When I contacted the hotel, I was told they would refund my money and the manager would call me back to "make it right". The GM never returned my call and they havent refunded my money as of yet. I will be contacting the better business bureau tomorrow.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank RGL1985
hiexpressfreeport, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Freeport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Guest,

We are sorry to hear that you are still unhappy with the booking error that was made. We did all we could to make you happy, however when we are sold out we can not bump someone out of there room as you requested. As you confirmed you had received the confirmation email we sent after booking your reservation.

When you received the survey asking how your stay was, I am sure you were extremely confused and when you noticed you were charged the one night no show fee, I am sure you were upset, however our no show fee is a one night stay as it states on the confirmation you received. We immediately refunded you for the one night when you called and made us aware of this error. When you asked how long until you saw the credit I explained to you that it had gone through on our end and it depended on your bank.

I am sorry that you are not satisfied with us not being able to switch your arrival date to Memorial Day weekend, however we can not bump someone else and cause another guest to be upset. We strive to make all guest satisfied. I even offered to help you find other accommodation and you declined.

Again I apologize and I hope you found yourself accommodations in Freeport. If you have not I am still willing to suggest a few places that I know still have availability.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Called about pool prior to booking. When we arrived pool was unavailable and then closed for construction. Manager never contacted us as request three times. The construction on pool cause fire alarm to go off at 7:30 in the morning. Breakfast area had argument between management and staff. Hotel is run by middle eastern staff and creates poor communication problems and manners. Received a refund through site we booked on since hotel would not. Filed a complaint with the attorney general and consumer protection. Hotel denied all incidents.

Room Tip: Courtyard by Marriott in brunswick
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Matt L
hiexpressfreeport, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Freeport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Matt L
Thank you for taking time to post a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We understand that an indoor pool is a very important amenity and integral part of why you chose to stay at our hotel. We are sorry that the pool being down for construction came as a surprise to you. Knowing how important the pool is to our guests, we posted information about the pool being down to all possible reservation areas, to inform any guests who booked our hotel that the pool would be down during that time. We had a posting at the main page of our hotel website, information that went out to all of our Online Travel Agency partners, and alerts to our central reservations staff. Additionally, we informed our guests at check in and conspicuously posted information around the hotel. We are sorry that even with all of our efforts you still didn't know about the pool being down. Unfortunately during any construction activity a false fire alarm is possible. We couldn't control this inconvenient circumstance, but took every action to make our guests comfortable during the alarm. Costumer service is extremely important to us and we strive to make all of our guests happy. We apologize again that even after all of our communications about the pool, its closure still impacted your stay.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We went away for a few days and picked this hotel based on price and tripadvisor reviews. It was excellent! The hotel was clean and updated. The staff was friendly and on top of customer requests and needs. Our room was spacious and very clean! The king sized bed was a bit hard for our liking but the choices of pillows made up for it. It was extremely cold during our stay and the heat in our room worked great. Our only complaint was that the showerhead was a bit short- I'm not very tall and I had to duck to fit under it to wash my hair and my very tall husband had quite a time, lol. For the price this hotel is a great pick and will afford a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on Route 1 side are very quiet. I think the rooms on the thruway side are a bit noisier.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
hiexpressfreeport, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Freeport, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking time to leave our property feedback. Feedback is extremely important to us and also to potential guests. I am so glad to hear that we have met your expectations. We strive to provide guests with the best costumer service and a clean room and I will be sure to share this review with the entire staff to let them know that we were able to meet your expectations.

If you are ever in the Freeport area again, we would love to provide you with clean and comfortable accommodations again!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Amada, at the Front Desk was worth the price of admission. She was very friendly, helped return the luggage cart, and gave detailed tourist info. Just happened we were there for the annual Maple Syrup Festival and she printed out maps and made suggestions on which farm to visit.
Room was in very good condition with decent pillows and mattress. Great location - 5 minutes to LLBean area and 20 minutes to Portland. Be sure to visit the largest globe in the world, 5 minutes away - The Map Store.

Room Tip: No problem with noise facing the highway.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
hiexpressfreeport, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Freeport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest/s,

Thank you so much for leaving our property such a detailed review. I am so glad that you guys enjoyed your stay with us at Holiday Inn Express in Suites in Freeport, Maine. What a wonderful weekend to come up to Maine for our Maple Sunday! We strive to provide the best costumer service and I am glad you experienced just that! If you are ever in the Freeport area again we would love to have you stay with us.

Happy Spring and again thank you for your kind words!

Reviewed 18 March 2014

This is a nice hotel. We stayed three nights, actually we are still here and this is our last night. We were greeted very warmly, some three hours before the actual check in time, and were given an available room. The heating system, I am no plumber, is odd it kind of pumps out warm air then cool to keep the room temp even I guess. Well it was mostly cold air so we called the office and in five minutes we had a new room.

The breakfast is modest but adequate and the breakfast room is quite nice. The hotel is very clean and every desk person we met over the three days here was cordial, engaging, and attentive. The pool and hot tubs were nice, a bit small, but fine for us since only one other person was using the facility.

The location is great....Five minutes to L.L. Bean and all the outlets in Freeport. It is just a short drive to Portland and my favorite area, Old Port. It is only 15 or 20 minutes to Brunswick and Bowdoin College, It is about a half hour to Bath Maine, a quaint town with lots of nice shops, and maybe 40 minutes to Boothbay Harbor. It is a two minute drive to a supermarket if you want to eat in which we did the first night. The room has a fridge and microwave, sufficient for our needs.

We also had a room on the highway side but unlike some others it did not bother us. I told the desk clerk when checking in that I had read reviews about the noise on the highway side and she said she would gladly move us if it was a problem. It was not and we were happy with the room. I wanted to stay another night but my wife wants to return home. So in about eight hours, at the time of writing this review, we will leave quite happy with our stay. Nice job HIE.

Room Tip: Good central location to stay and with day trips you can enjoy the Maine coast from Portland to Camd...
1  Thank Spankems
hiexpressfreeport, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Freeport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave our property such in depth feedback. It is extremely valuable to our staff and potential guests. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Freeport, Maine Holiday Inn Express & Suites!

I do apologize for the inconvenience in having to switch rooms due to a heater not functioning properly. I am glad we were able to move you to another room in a timely manner. I glad to hear that the staff was friendly and helpful throughout your stay! I will be sure to share this review with them! If there was any one staff member in particular you would like to recognize please let me know and I would be happy to add their name to the employee of the month box!

Again thank you so much for taking time to share your feedback with us. Feedback is so important and we take all suggestions into great consideration. We hope to have you stay with us again!

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed here on a Thursday night. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel room was in great condition. The bathroom was clean and well taken care of. The king bed and pillows were very comfortable and allowed for a great night sleep. Would definitely stay here again.

Dear Chris F,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave our Freeport, Holiday Inn Express & Suites a review. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations with us. We strive to provide exceptional costumer service and a clean room and I am glad we were able to do just that!

If you are ever in the area again we would love to have you stay with us again!

Happy Spring!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Quality Suites
#1 of 11 in Freeport
Ramada Plaza Portland
Ramada Plaza Portland
#15 of 20 in Portland

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Freeport? Share your experiences!