“The worst Super 8 I have ever stayed at”

Super 8 Freeport Brunswick Area
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Freeport
Mystic, Connecticut
“The worst Super 8 I have ever stayed at”
Reviewed 3 August 2008

I choose Super 8 when I just need a bare bones motel that is clean and comfortable. This property does not live up to the Super 8 reputation in any way. There was hair on the floor of the bathroom when we arrived and it was still there after the room was cleaned the next day. Obviously they're not cleaning the floors. I shudder to think what else wasn't getting cleaned. The bed was horrific - absolutely mushy. The rooms are advertised as having refrigerators but not all do - ours did but the other couple traveling with us did not have one.

The location is fine - on the outskirts of Freeport with many other chain hotels. A big grocery store and Dunkin Donuts are right up the street. I can't believe the amount of money we spent on this room - I have spent much less for four star accommodations in big cities. If you have another option, take it!

• Liked — it wasn't too noisy
  • Disliked — it was dirty and the bed was uncomfortable
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank candaceg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Akron, OH
Reviewed 15 March 2008

We stayed here for a weekend shopping trip to wonderful Freeport! Super 8 has some great motels in the Atlantic provinces so I thought this would be similar, it was not! It is an older property. The bed in our room was hard; the room smelled like cigarette smoke; the room temperature was difficult to regulate; and the in room refrigerator was very very noisy. Overall the room was adequate for the price paid, but I personally would not stay there again.

• Liked — close proximity to shopping area
  • Disliked — noisey refridgerator, hard bed, cold, dreary decor, smelly
  • Stayed May 2005, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels

new brunswick
Reviewed 15 January 2008

Stopped here on the way from New York City to St John New Brunswick. Unfortunately the weather sucked (some n'or easter blew in) but the shopping in the area is great. the Hampton Inn is clean and comfortable. Service was great, very friendly.

Freeport is outlet store central as well as being the headquarters of L.L.Bean which has 24 hour stores there.

• Liked — staff service
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank sfrancis55
New York
Reviewed 3 January 2008

We will NEVER STAY IN THIS MOTEL AGAIN!!!! We arrived at 3:00 p.m. and was told our room was not ready. I was sick and when my husband asked when the room would be available we were told in about an hour. It was cold, I was cold and sick and just wanted to lay down, and having to find someplace to go and wait for our room was not something we wanted to hear. We finally got our room (at apprx. 5:00 p.m.); it was cold and smelled like a cold and damp basement. The towels were one step above paper! Small and very thin. Room service did not show up the next day to empty waste baskets or change towels until 7:30 p.m. But, the final straw was: We checked out of the motel at 9:00 a.m.; we were about an hour down the road when I realized I left my own personal pillow at the motel. I immediately called the motel and told the woman who answered I had left my pillow in the room; she replied "Was it yellow?" I said yes it was. She said she had it and I could come back and pick it up. I told her I was an hour away and could she mail it? She said yes but I would have to pay for mailing. I told her to charge my credit card (which was used to check out) and she said fine, she would try to mail it the following week. That was November 12, 2007 - it is now January 3, 2008. I have made several phone calls inquiring about the mailing of my pillow. I get the same answer, I'm sorry, I've been so busy, I have it and will try to mail it sometime this week. I realize the pillow may not be important to her, and certainly I shouldn't have left it there, but if you're not going to mail it SAY SO! Regardless of the value of the pillow, I called in due time, they said they would mail it as soon as they could, I said I would pay for the cost of mailing, and I'm still waiting. Never again.

• Liked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank travelalot_8
Palm Desert, CA
Reviewed 5 July 2007

Clean and nice room. Average Super 8. Staff not the most helpful in placing us in a room with a microwave which we had requested well ahead of time. Refrig in all rooms. LL Bean outlet is just down the road from here. One night in Freeport is enough.

Stayed July 2007
Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 June 2007

We stayed here during our honeymoon on the way to Acadia 13 years ago. It was much better then. I was shocked when my full credit card number appeared on the receipt AND they took an imprint. I have an email into Super 8 asking their corporate policy, but my credit card company was shocked. What do they do with these and how do they dispose of them. The part owner told me it was to prove I was there. I told him the swipe would do that.
Room was clean, but cramped. At 9am the cleaning crew was trying to get into our room without knocking. He used the special key to get through the deadbolt. The only thing that saved us was the latch on the inside. Also, we had the highway out the window all night then a lawn mower woke us in the morning... right outside the window of our room!

• Liked — Location to Freeport
  • Disliked — Billing
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank cachingtraveler
New York
Reviewed 4 March 2007

I have stayed here all the times. The front desk staff in perticular- Bill Colby, He is Amezing, friendly and Accodomating.
The price is always reasonable for the area as compare to similar hotels in area. Rooms are crystal clear clean. Microwave and mini fridge in the room. Many T.V. stations with local channels and TWO HBO channels. They donot have a coffemaker in the room but they provide fresh coffe 24 Hours in the lobby area.
Overall very good hotel in economy brand. Decent breakfast and very convenient location for freeport activities.

• Liked — clean rooms
  • Disliked — na
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank sunlight247