“Just average”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Freeport
NewBrunswick
“Just average”
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We stayed at the Comfort Suites in Freeport with friends while on a shopping trip to the area at a rate of $100/night which we booked through Expedia.

This is the fifth hotel (Hilton, Best Western, Maine Idyll Court, The Village Inn) we’ve stayed at during our frequent visits to Freeport and I would say it’s my least favorite.

Here’s why:

-The rooms are in need of updating (especially bathrooms);
-the staff would benefit from customer service training. They were not rude necessarily, just indifferent. I emailed the hotel at the address provided on their website several times before we left and never received a response. When we booked with Expedia I requested a room on the Route 1 side as opposed to the highway side. Upon check-in I was told that this request couldn’t be granted because the hotel was at capacity. Fair enough- until our friends who checked in behind us and had not specified where they’d like their room, got a room facing Route 1. I would say the front desk worker just didn’t want to be bothered to switch the room we’d been assigned;
-rooms facing the highway are very loud. We turned on the fan to try and drown out some of the noise but it was still noisy; and
-the location is not great (not walking distance to the heart of the shopping district).

While it wasn’t a terrible hotel, basically I was left with the impression that Comfort Suites didn’t care whether I stayed there again or not-so I won’t be.

On the plus side, we ate at some wonderful restaurants while in Freeport: China Rose, The Lobster Cooker and The Freeport Seafood Company. Also, Bob’s Clam Hut in Kittery is excellent!

Happy travels!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Route 1 side (call; they don't answer their email).
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank NBJenny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fredericton
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Very impressed with the rooms. Check In went smooth. At the time the hot tub wasn't working or not operational for guests. The pool looked nice, although we never used it.

Hotel seemed quiet (noise wise) for the two nights we were there. They had a great continental breakfast. Great way to start the morning. Staff were very friendly. After talking with them, they saved us a 30 min drive by letting us know that a store we were looking for was almost around the corner rather than driving where we had planned.

Rooms were clean, sheets were clean and the shower worked great. We had adjoining rooms with family that we were with.

Overall, we would stay there again in a minute. Nice Hotel and price perfectly.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms were very nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We upgraded to the King room w/ 2 flatscreens ... it was only $123 (CAA discount) what a deal! We stayed an extra night...The free breakfast buffet included a choice of dark roast coffee and real bacon... YUMMM...and the parking lot was spacious so you did't have to worry about your car getting beat up. Staff was very friendly and accomodating I believe the franchise owner was even helping out. I will be staying there again when visiting Freeport! Bed was very comfortable! It's not the Hilton but it was only $123!!! and a free breakfast...

Room Tip: Top floor king size bed with extra sofa additional room to stretch out is nice. Don't use the wa...
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel after reading several reviews which were very positive. Upon arrival I was greeted with a sign that stated hot tub is not working. As I began the check in process I told the desk clerk I would like to change from staying 2 nights to only 1 night given the hot tub was not working plus I did not realize how far away their hotel was from the Portland Jetport. We had a 6:45 AM flight Monday therefore a hotel closer than 20 miles would be desirable. The desk clerk immediately responds you are beyond your cancellation policy for tomorrow night therefore you MUST pay for both nights whether you stay or not. I again explained the fact they did not have a working hot tub and she again shouted back in a stern tone its policy and you must pay for 2 nights regardless. After checking into my room I then called choice hotels customer service of which they were no help saying I should have read the hotel policy when I booked the room.

I again went back to the front desk very calmly and asked can I please speak with a manager to discuss my dissatisfaction. The person who stated she was the front desk manager/assistant to the general manager barked at me saying policy is I should have cancelled by 3 PM on the day of check in to avoid charges for the 2nd night. Please keep in mind this was at 5 PM only 2 hours past what she stated was policy.

In addition to the most rude customer service I have ever gotten at any hotel, I was greeted by a bathroom that had torn wall covering. The room smelled like someone had eaten curry in the room for several days and then to top everything off they had ESPN listed at channel 32 yet when you put the TV on channel 32 it was an informercial for american express. When I called back to the front desk they kept telling me ESPN is on channel 32.

I honestly would not recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay within 200 miles of freeport. You would be much better off to stay 100 miles away at another hotel than to experience the nightmare that myself, family and friends did at this hotel. In my 20 plus years of business or pleasure travel I have never been treated more rudely by any hotel anywhere in the world.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms to be had at this hotel given the rude customer service
1 Thank ddmullis
La Jolla, CA
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Driving down to Manchester from Camden we stayed here one night to hit LL Bean Factory Stores and the other factory outlets. Quite a town shopping area. The hotel was less than a mile from the main outlets. Very large, spacious room compared to our B&B in Camden. No problems checking in, staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast the next morning was great, lots of options. Enjoyed our stay.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We were here for one night in order to do the LL Bean shopping thing. I wanted to book a room downtown within walking distance, as most people would first prefer I guess. But when I saw the downtown hotel prices for that privilege, I looked elsewhere and found this Comfort Inn for about 60% of the downtown prices.

Glad we stayed here -- nice clean modern facility with everything you need, including a good breakfast in the AM. And it's all of about 3 minutes to drive up to LL Bean, which has lots of free parking. So this was a no brainer as to where to stay.

Read the other good reviews down below for more details. I would go back here again if we returned to Freeport.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Wakefield, Rhode Island
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Always loved the full breakfasts of this chain while driving to Florida. When we stayed in Freeport it was only natural to book here. The price as a walkin with a coupon was only $99 for the night. This facility is reasonably new, clean and well maintained. My disappointment was with the breakfast. I am an early riser and liked the fact that the service begins at 6:30 A.M. Just before the doors opened the night shift desk person brought the three large coffe urns that were in the lobby overnight into the breakfast room and set them in place for the beginning service. I poured an inch of regular coffe and after one sip decided it could best be used to repave the parking lot! In addition the last two Comfort facilities I visited have a new interpretation of scrambled eggs. They reheat small circular disks of apparently pre-cooked frozen eggs. No recognizable egg taste. The muffins seems to have been recently thawed and are soggy. Overall very poor breakfast service.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Freeport
#1 of 11 in Freeport
Ramada Plaza Portland
Ramada Plaza Portland
#15 of 20 in Portland

Been to Quality Suites? Share your experiences!