“Awesome B&B”

PineCrest Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Gorham B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My husband and I stayed 2 nights here and wished we could have stayed longer. The picture of our room "The Quincy", was exactly as pictured on the internet. Warm, inviting and very clean. Upon arriving, Matt greeted us with a warm and welcoming manner. Since we had never been to Maine before, he drew us a map of many places to visit and to eat. The breakfasts in the morning were amazing, and looked like something out of a Martha Stuart cook book. Fresh Eggs,ham and fruit one day and Blueberry pancakes with local maple syrup, fresh whipped cream and bacon the next. All of the coffee,tea and juice you could drink .Amy was funny and friendly and made us feel at home.
Thank you both for a wonderful end to our holiday.
This B&B is a must stay if you are in the Gorham area.
Jo-Anne & Jerry Campbell
Brantford Ontario

Room Tip: The Quincy is spacious and on the main floor at the front of the house. Front door easy access to ro...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jo-Anne4818
There are newer reviews for PineCrest Inn

Reviewed 19 July 2012

The PineCrest Bed and Breakfast is a wonderful home away from home. It is quiet, clean and shows that a lot of kind thought has gone into the layout of the rooms and necessities. I stayed for three nights with an adult daughter and we were both very pleased with the Covington room arrangements. For two women staying together it was spacious and quite comfortable. I wanted to stay in an area that was outside the city of Portland, but local to other attractions. The PineCrest B&B is in a wonderful town and is very close to many other fun things to do. The breakfasts are to die for and the coffee is delicious. Matt and Amy seem to understand completely their guests needs and are very respectful, and simply a pleasure to deal with. I felt a wonderful sense of calm and safety in their home and would book another room with them again.

Room Tip: Third floor room was enjoyable! Beautiful old farmhouse!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I give this place a 3 out of 5 only because of its good fortune in being in an area of the country with pretty much horrible "other" options - so comparatively speaking, they aren't so bad is about the best I can say about this place.

We stayed here over camp visitation weekend in July 2011 (I know, its taken me a while to write this), which is generlly just a terrible time to find a room almost anywhere in southeastern Maine, even Portland (where options are appreciably better). So, I was initially very excited when I saw in January that Pine Crest had a room available in July. All of my interactions with the innkeeper from that point on were just strange, though. In fact, I'm not entirely convinced that he even wants to own an inn -- but I'm pretty certain that I shouldn't be made to feel like that is my fault.

First, upon booking the room through their online reservation program, I was informed by email that, although I was able to book a room that was identified as available online, actually the inn was completely booked that weekend because they routinely book that weekend a year in advance because of parents returning for next year's camper visitation weekend (typical for the area). It was, apparently, purely by the kindness of innkeeper's heart that he was permitting me to keep my booking. Online glitches happen, that's fine. However, I was also informed that the rates for that weekend had not yet been set (even though they were posted online), and that he'd let me know what the actual rate would be at some undetermined point in the future. While I was annoyed, I pushed this all aside since communications by emails sometimes evince the wrong tone inadvertantly. And, ultimately, the difference in rate turned out to be minimal, so again, no big deal.

The second strange thing was the very strict warnings that are repeatedly given about check-in times, which is that check in is strictly limited to the hours of 4pm and 7pm, the reason being that the inn does not have 24 hour staff. Again, annoying because driving to Gornham from almost anywhere to arrive before 7 requires leaving town quite early - but also understandable from their perspective given limited resources, etc. (Although I've been to inns in the past that have avoided such strict warnings by offering things like lock boxes with keys for after hours check ins). But lack of creative work arounds aside, when we arrived just before 7, the place was filled with people, including the innkeeper, who also worked in the restaurant which is in the same building - like in the room right next to check in. Huh?

The rooms themselves are ok. Again, compared to the other options in the immediate area, I'm certainly not complaining. Note, there is poor air conditioning in the building, which normally matters not a lick -- but, if you are there during an unprecedented heat wave, as we were, the house can be a bit oppressive. But they are certainly not in charge of the weather! We stayed in a room that had a private bathroom across the corridor, which was precisely as advertised. Generally, a tidy and clean enough room, although there is something about the place that made me feel like I was visiting my grandma's house. I can't quite put my finger on it, though.

Breakfast was ok -- one portion of french toast with a bit of a chiffon-type cream, a few blueberries, and sausage a little more undercooked than I prefer. Nothing to write home about, but not something to be sent back to the kitchen. You can tell that the innkeepers are making updates to the breakfast room and bar area, and my sense is that they do care about expanding and making the facilities comforting and inviting, and in that endeavor, I truly wish them the best. But part of feeling welcome at such a small establishment involves the personalities of the people who are dealing with the public, ie, guests. Some reconfiguration of responsibilities might be in order, is all I'm saying.

But here's the weirdest thing. Given the aforementioned "other" options for rooms in the area during this busy time of the year, we were willing to trade the annoyances of the place for the peace of mind in having a reservation for the next year. But when we inquired upon our check out about making such a reservation, we were told that they won't take reservations before the beginning of the year. Again -- huh? I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation, but at that point, it kind of didn't matter.

Bottom line is that, mostly because of the bizarre atmosphere here, I wouldn't necessarily recommend staying here if you have better options -- but if you were staying here because you had no other place to go in the area, you could do a lot worse. Just be prepared for a bit of strangeness. Reasonable value, though.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MommyTootedInItaly
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We really enjoyed staying at this B and B. Matt and Amy obviously put a lot of thought and effort into creating a Bed and Breakfast that served every need. I particularly liked the aesthetics - beautiful colors on the walls, wonderful linens for the beds,etc -everything was tastefully done, and at the same time, unique and interesting.

Room Tip: Although somewhat small, we liked the Hamilton - it was away from the street and very calm and peace...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Stayed here for two nights in their newest room. Had a great dinner, great breakfast and a not so good stay. Gorham is an ok place, not a whole lot to do but close enough to Freeport and Portland and only an hour and fifteen minutes away from our home, Amesbury, MA. My only suggestion for the Inn that I have for Matt and Amy is to put in more sturdy furniture, the furniture in our room was more decorative than standard, first night in the room I sat in the chair and barely leaned back and the back snapped off with a piece of the chair piercing my back. The bed was overly squeaky as well making it hard to sleep, just the slightest of movements let out a fingernails on the chalkboard like screech. I would like to recommend this place but with Portland being closer to the ocean with more to offer and also only being 30 minutes from Freeport and Portsmouth, I would have to say go with Portland, much more to do in walking distance, prices are better as well. The Chef at PineCrest is awesome, my analogy: It's like having Tom Brady working at a 7-11, makes no sense, someone in the restaurant business needs to snag this guy up. Amy and Matt seem like good people, I was however very disappointed when they ran my credit card for $200 for the chair, any half a man with a screw gun and some wood glue could fix it in 20 minutes, If I had my tools with me I could have repaired it no problem. I was wrongfully and overly charged for a flimsy, decorative chair that should not be put in a guest' room to be sat in. Thankfully my credit card company was notified immediately and will dispute the charges to my prevail. All in all I give the Gorham experience 3 out of 5 stars, I would have picked 2.5 if it were an option. We won't be going back, once was enough for us, they can keep their crunchy granola town to themselves.

Adam K
Amesbury, MA

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here, don't stay in the new room off the kitchen, you can hear everythi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Adamjkel
Reviewed 4 June 2012

The PineCrest is the rare bed & breakfast that is the perfect combination of true comfort and little luxuries. Matt & Amy are wonderful people and great innkeepers. The food is also not to be missed - breakfast was a delightful surprise - although it shouldn't have been, because I've dined at their restaurant before and was blown away by the cuisine and hospitality. I stayed in the 'Gorham' with my two girlfriends, as it was my bridal shower weekend...and we had the best time.

Despite the fact that my parents live 1/4 mile from the inn, I might stay here every time I visit home! =)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Where to begin?

If you want the true B&B experience, you'd be crazy not to stay here. My wife and I came to Maine for our honeymoon and decided to stay here. Best decision we made. It is about a 25 minute scenic drive, or 15 minute fast track, to get to downtown Portland from here. We stayed in the Gorham, and everything went perfect. The distance may be a deal breaker for some people, but we are the type who like to go see the scenes and tourists areas, and then just escape to a much quieter, low key part of town at the end of the day. This fits that bill perfectly.

First I will get the few possible deal breakers for this room out of the way. The bed is a little firm, but it's not a 5-star downtown hotel. That is part of the B&B compromise. Also, the water pressure is a little weak. Other than that, everything is perfect. Rooms also come with a Keurig to use, and you can take tea packets from the dining room in the morning to use in your room if you don't want the coffee they put in your room to use with it.

Matt and Amy were both very accommodating the entire week we stayed. The first day we got there Matt took a map of Portland and spent about 20 minutes driving the scenic routes to take to get there, and even giving us great restaurant and scenery stops to take in along the way. He went above and beyond what he needed to. Then when he was finishing up with that, Amy came up and had hand-written a list of things to take in as well.

We kept reading that the breakfasts here were amazing, and they did not disappoint. Every single breakfast we had was one of the best breakfasts we had ever had. The french toast was literally the best french toast I had ever eaten in my life. Fresh OJ each morning, tea is available, and absolutely amazing coffee. I am a big coffee drinker (I drink it black), and this was one of the best coffees I have ever had as well.

Then everything was topped off when we returned one night and there was a cake dome in our room with a fresh piece of chocolate cake, two forks, and a hand-written note thanking us for choosing them for our honeymoon and how honored they were.

Then, we ate dinner in their restaurant one night and it was unbelievable as well. And what's even better was that they had an extensive wine list filled with choices that were under $30/bottle. You just can't find that anywhere else.

Seriously.....you cannot go wrong staying here. I'm sure the next time we travel to Portland, ME, we will be staying here again. Cannot say enough great things about Amy, Matt, and their fantastic business. Thank God for Trip Advisor, so you can sing the praises of small businesses like this and urge people to go here.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MTSUDaff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorham
Portland Harbor Hotel
Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront
Best Western Merry Manor Inn
Best Western Merry Manor Inn
#1 of 13 in South Portland

Been to PineCrest Inn? Share your experiences!