“Always a treat!”

Beal's Old Fashioned Ice Cream
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Gorham
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Going to Beals is always a treat! The ice cream is so delicious!
The girls that work there are super friendly!
Best part of our summer is going to Beals for ice cream!

Reviewed 19 September 2013

I have been going to Beal's in Gorham for at least 15 years now and despite the decent ice cream, I am surprised that, year after year, the employees have never even tried to be personable. I think this trickles down from the owner, who always presents with a flat affect, no smile, and looks like he really is miserable in his choice of career. You are never greeted pleasantly by the clone-like , unsmiling high school girls that work there year after year (only to be replaced by similar clones the next year when they go off to college), other than a curt, "Can I take your order please?" No matter the time of day, or even if I am the only customer, the service is not exactly warm and welcoming. As a matter of fact, I went today (I was the only customer at noon) to be waited on by the owner who, again, is all business, unsmiling, and not even pleasant. I mean, dude, you're selling ICE CREAM! How miserable can it really be? With this kind of service, I find some offense in their tip cup, which is placed right in front of the window and on which is written, "college tuition". I hope none of them are going into public relations in college. I don't leave them tips because I think they really need to work on their overall presentation. If you want service with personality, go down to The Gorham Grind in the center of town where they also serve ice cream, but with a smile.

2  Thank Kaotcgd
Reviewed 2 June 2013

This place is a "high-volume" cash cow where they care more about making money than the quality of their peoduct. They were handing out half-melted ice cream cones to customers, literally falling apart before they came through the service window. Mine fell apart and onto the ground before I got to the car, but not before it melted all over me. This was literally 15 seconds after it was handed to me. It was soup! I was upset as an adult, but just imagine if this happened to your child! An "old-fashioned" place would serve quality product, not a soupy mess stuffed into a cone just in time to take money from the next guy in line.....

2  Thank Red207
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Best Homemade ice cream I've ever had! Love the many flavors and a good serving size! Wish they had more windows open in their So. Portland location.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

I have tried Beal's on multiple occasions...and multiple locations...but this place is by far the worst. First, it was difficult ordering....which it shouldn't be...this is ice-cream we're talking about...the girl acted like it was a hardship for her to answer my questions. I thought I figured out what I wanted, which was somewhat difficult given her lack of communication skills...then I ended up throwing my cone away in the parking lot.....this is something that I have never done before. I will typically at least try to eat even the worst ice-cream. I'm not sure if I got the sugar-free, frozen yogurt, or what....but it was BAD! And it was not worth even attempting a conversation with the person who sold it to me.

Been to Beal's Old Fashioned Ice Cream? Share your experiences!