“Father and son tradition”
Review of Weatherby's

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Lake Stream
Weatherby's
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My son Scott and I first came to Weaterby's Lodge when he was 8 years old. He is now 43 and we have been back every year since with just a couple of misses. First, the fishing is great! There are great guides, unforgettable campfire lunches, moose, bald headed eagles, occasional bear. The lakes are beautiful and most of the day you fish this wonderful wilderness without seeing another person. The lodge itself is immaculate, the cabins the same and the food is superb! Best of all, The owners, Jeff and Beth and their kids go out of their way to do anything they can to make your experience the very best it can be, as does Frank who's hospitality is as friendly and helpful as it gets. And then there's the guests, many who have been coming for years. It's a very special group and it's so much fun to share your fishing stories and days experiences on the porches before and after meals. We have recommended Weatherby's to many of our friends and always receive their thanks when they return. Call them. I guarantee you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Weatherby's

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Let me start by saying everything about Weatherby's is better than advertised and exceeded every expectation by a huge margin.

My 12 yr old son and I do a father-son trip every year. We alternate educational and adventure trips. The previous summer we went to Washington DC, so this year we took our adventure trip and chose Weatherby's Lodge in Grand Lake Stream, ME. The goal was to learn how to fly fish and make some memories. We stayed 3 nights, took 2 guided fishing trips, and had the time of our lives.

Details:

The moment we arrived it was clear things operate at a different pace up there. Everything is calm and everyone is like family, from the moment you arrive. Don't be fooled by the relaxed pace, it is by design, but the operation is so well run and the abundance of expertise makes the resort run like clock work. If you cannot relax at Weatherby's you can't relax anywhere.

Frank, the General Manager was so helpful while planning the trip and while we checking in. Our cabin was ready and perfect. We enjoyed coffee and hot chocolate on the porch with Frank right after getting settled.

The meals were splendid. The chef is an artist. Each meal was not only delicious, they were bountiful. Breakfast to order and 4 course dinners everyday. The main house, where the meals are served, was full of families and groups either headed out to fish or telling stories of their day on the water. By the end of our stay, we knew everyone that was staying there and were exchanges stories and spots to try and catch the big ones. The staff was superb. Attentive, friendly, and genuinely interested in you and your adventures.

The fishing was the best we ever had! Jeff, the owner, was our guide. Everyone raved about their guides, so I am sure they are fantastic too, but we were blessed to have Jeff. He taught how to cast and use the fly rod. He was terrific with me, but the way he helped my son was the highlight of the trip. The first day, we stood in the stream surrounded by 50 - 60 salmon and had a blast pulling those salmon out of the water. More importantly, Jeff taught us how to fly fish on our own and we were able to fish together after our lesson and guided fishing trip. Nothing beats being in the river with your son. The second day we went spin fishing and on one of lakes. We pulled 15 keepers out of the lake. My son caught a monster smallie, it was the highlight for both of us. As if the great fishing wasn't enough, Jeff brought his daughter along, who is an accomplished guide. My son and I really felt like we connected with Jeff and Weatherby's and understood why the family approach to the lodge is why it is truly one of the top 10 Fly Fishing destinations in the world. My son was so impressed a new word was invented. He was trying to explain the Jeff's depth of skill as a guide and his prowess as a teacher and all he could come up with was "Mr. Jeff has the Protitude" We all laughed, but now when something demonstrates great expertise, we call it "The Protitude". And, yes, Jeff has it.

At the end of both 4 hour fishing trips Jeff and his daughter prepared a fish fry from some of the fish we caught (NOTE: fishing was catch and release for us, except what was caught for lunch). Lunch was out of this world, cooked over an open fire and eaten together like a picnic.

In the evenings we relaxed in our cabin, played cards and connected. If you were to look up Father/Son trip in the dictionary, this would be the definition.

There is another level to how impressive and genuine Jeff and Weatherby's is. Jeff gives time and his lodge to support veterans. Specifically, organizing events that allow recovering veterans enjoy the soothing and rejuvenating peacefulness of Weatherby's for a getaway, which would be amazing by itself, but he recently supported an event that included access to professionals to help Vets cope, adjust, get direction, etc... Jeff, you are special!

Find a reason to visit Weatherby's. You will not be disappointed. On guy was there with his daughter and has been bring his daughter, son or wife every year for 15 years. I can see why.

We stayed June June 29 - July 1, 2103. We are going back this weekend. We will be going back several more time.

Thanks Jeff, Frank and the whole Weatherby's family!

Alvin

Room Tip: Ask Frank or Jeff which room best fits your group's needs. They love answering questions and wa...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I drove to Grand Lake Stream from my summer home in Bar Harbor, ME for a day of fly fishing on Grand Lake Stream and the St Croix River with Rod. I have been on guided trips before in the Rockies and Ozarks, but I have never had as good a guide as Rod. He has a love for fishing and the Maine outdoors that is obvious from the moment you meet him. Even in a rainstorm, his enthusiasm and positive attitude never wavered. He is also an interesting conversationalist about a wide of array of topics and simply just a nice guy, which made for a very pleasant day.
Frank and the staff were equally as welcoming and accommodating, completing a great experience.
They represent the best of what made our family fall in love with Maine.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We spent an extended weekend at Weatherby's and enjoyed our stay very much. The cottages are rustic, but surprisingly well equipped (even down to an ice chest refilled with fresh ice every day at 4:00 p.m.). Each cabin has a screened porch, with rockers or old fashioned gliders, which is where I spent most of my time. The cottages are log and most are quite old. The beds were firm and very comfortable. If well behaved, dogs are allowed. No TV. No video games. But there is a great lobby complete with books, piano, and board games. The staff is friendly and helpful. We were in Grand Lake Stream with a large group of skiing friends, so we did not sample food in the lodge.....but reports are that it is very good. All-in-all, this is a good place.

Room Tip: We were in The OverLook Cottage, which was good.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Grand Lake Stream is the perfect destination for the fisher; and, Weatherby's is an excellent lodge. The accommodations are clean and comfortable. Jeff and family are gracious hosts. The rooms and cabins are comfortable. The food in the dining room is well prepared. The lodge has a good relationship with Maine fishing and hunting guides, which makes the experience all the more memorable.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Spent 3 days of October fishing. My first time at Weatherby's after having gone to other Maine lodges. The fishing was good but the lodge was excellent. I've noticed that others have mentioned Jeff and the staff - they are all right. The people make this place special its comfortable, food is excellent and the atmosphere encourages a good time and a pleasant experience. I am already planning my spring trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank thomas g
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Our trip here was in August 2011. Jeff, Beth and family really make you feel at home at Weatherby's. Frank is a hoot. He has the best sense of humor. Chef Jonny whips up some great meals in the inviting kitchen. It is great to hang out in there. The cabins are rustic but clean and they have everything you need. The lake and stream are beautiful. It is such a relaxing place. The guides are first-rate. Steve was a great guide for a trip to the St. Croix. The shore lunch was delicious. The basket lunches are great. You pick your sandwich and beverage and it is ready for you at breakfast in an old basket and thermos. Also included are delicious pickles, fruit and a dessert in an old tin. It is charming! This was one of the best vacations. It was relaxing - it was nice to be pretty much off the grid - and the surroundings are just beautiful. The arts festival in August is really good which was a surprise for such a small town. There are exercise classes available at the post office for locals and visitors which was really nice. This was a wonderful experience! You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GK704

Been to Weatherby's? Share your experiences!