“A Peaceful Place to Camp”

Ranked #2 of 24 things to do in Greenville
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the Moosehead Lake region, this park offers a small beach, campsites and boat launch facilities.
New Hampshire
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“A Peaceful Place to Camp”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2009

I have stayed at Lily Bay State Park multiple times in the past 6.5 years. I have only had one less than stellar experience which had nothing to do with the campground itself. We'll get to that later.

The campground itself is huge and for the most part wooded. If you're lucky enough to reserve water sites in the winter, I can't imagine a more perfect camping site. No need to haul your kayak/canoe to the public access...all you have to do is carry it once down the embankment and store it there. Even if you are not on a water site, you can still hear the loons from most anywhere in the campground, which is always (for me anyway) better than a lullabye at night.

In recent years, they have constructed free showers which can be heaven on muggy days. Make sure you get there early or late as families are prone to spread out over the handful of shower rooms. It would be nice if there was a sign posted which suggested that parents with younger children could "share" a shower room which consists of a private shower stall plus a sink, toilet and plenty of room to get dressed. Unfortunately, there were times I had to either leave and come back later or wait a good hour while parents with multiple children finished up since they grabbed one room per each individual.

In the last few years, I've found the Moosehead Lake area becoming more and more crowded. For me, the trek to Moosehead is worth it because of the lack of people. But it seems lately that there has been an increase in RV's and with that comes entire families, friends of families, and all of their electronics. This brings me to my last visit to Lily Bay, which was not as enjoyable as past trips. My girlfriend and I were in a small tent site. Unfortunately for us, there seemed to be some sort of block party weekend going on. We were stuck between two huge families with RV's and one across the road. Every morning at 6am, my girlfriend and I would be awakened by "Lisa" talking to her dog, and then calling down the road to see if her friends were awake. Then the kids would wake up and start with their electronic games. Eventually, by 7am, Lisa and Co. would be in full swing. Nights were worse. Lisa and Co. would get louder and louder with each beer. Finally, it would be hard to settle down to sleep as their snoring drowned out the loons and all other noises. I wish people like this would stick to camping at KOA's or other RV camps that offer pools, arcades, etc. Anyway, this is just me venting. Unfortunately, we can't control who we wind up camping next to....and I do have another fond memory of this particular camping trip that sort of makes up for Lisa's presence. During one night, we had a litter (?) of fox pups come trotting happily into our site. Mother fox sort of hung back and kept an eye out. My girlfriend and I had at least 1/2 hour of holding our breath and watching the pups frolic together, chase each other, roughouse, etc. Until, of course, Lisa caught sight of one and screamed, "FOXES IN THE NEXT SITE!" I think Mother Fox was as irritated as I...because off she went with her brood.

We've never seen a moose in the camp, but we've seen a LOT of fox, deer, racoons and rabbits. However, the area is the best place EVER for moose peeping. Last year we saw a total of 18 moose in 6 days. It is truly one of the most spectacular places I've ever seen...pure, untouched, not developed, etc. Do yourself a favor and check out The Golden Road. It's a little pricey, as it's owned by a paper company (at least, it was the last time we had to pay to drive on it) but being surrounded by thousands of untouched acres is surreal. You can literally drive for hours without seeing a soul. Camping is also fun on the Golden Road although MUCH more pricey than Lily Bay.

Enjoy yourself at Lily Bay. The beach is fun and clean and the campground itself, considering it's size, is one of my favorites. It's too bad they cannot divide the grounds up with tenting only on one side and RV's on the other.

18 Thank SheElf

Poland Spring
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic family camping”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2007

Our first camping experience at Lily Bay was absolutely wonderful! We
had a lakeside tent site that was easy to access, spacious enough for our large tent, a large screen room, and chairs around the campfire. The best part was the waterfront accessibility and the beautiful sunset across the lake.

3 Thank djparent