“The Way Life Should be in the Maine Woods”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greenville
Casey's Spencer Bay Camps
Maine
“The Way Life Should be in the Maine Woods”
Reviewed 17 August 2009

If you want to experience the beauty of the Maine woods, this is where you do it! There are great sites for campers, tents and RVs. The campground is on a point with water on both sides. it is a great place to get away from it all. The owners are wonderful, and really are accomodating. From what I have seen of other reviews, the people who don't like it should either stay in a hotel with room service or just follow the rules which are very simple. The rules are all about being considerate of other campers and taking care of a beautiful place in order to keep it that way, nothing more. The store has pretty much everything you would need that you forgot to bring, in addition to ice for your cooler and wood for your fire. We go at least once a year and try to go back more, but every time I go, no matter how long it's been, I walk into the store and say hi to Sara and she responds with a hello, Susan. I am amazed with all the campers they have every summmer that she remembers my name. She is always very helpful and is very nice to my kids who make repeated trips to the store for candy, ice, or fishing lures. They come around twice a day and pick up your garbage right at your campsite, and every time I go, the sites are clean and freshly raked. They key about this place is they try to make sure it is as unspoiled by people as possbile. There are trees around every site and they are spaced out well. I've been to so many places where you feel like you're eating dinner with your neighbors. We have many fond memories of family trips here and we will continue to go back every year.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
maine
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We return to Casey's every August because this is such a rare and beautiful experience. Casey and Sarah go to great lengths to keep their property looking beautiful and pristine. A earlier reviewer mentioned broken windows in the cabins and I wonder why they would say such a thing. My husband and I return numerous times each year staying in cabins and on campsites and each are kept perfect and ready for use. Our children consider Casey's their perfect traditional vacation spot. All you need do is respect the property as you would any beautiful spot as well as respect your fellow vacationers. This is a destination for you if you want the peace to hear loons calling at night and the respect of your fellow travelers enough to feel safe and secure. Casey's marina is perfect for your boat and there is no better sailing ground on any other lake in Maine.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Illinois
Reviewed 6 August 2009

I read the reviews before we went so I was a little unsure. We only stayed one night and had to be in overflow between the marina and a cottage. The view toward the marina was nice but it was very junky behind us - several shacks and recycling I think that was piled up. We also felt like we got nickeled and dimed. Paid for 2 adults and then $5 each for 4 more people so it was $55 a night which seemed like a lot especially for that spot. Then $1 showers and it said visitors had to pay and I think you even had to pay $4 for a dog if you brought one. The 6 mile long dirt road made you not want to explore other places because you'd have to go back on it. On the positive side Sarah let us use her cell to call friends because we didn't have cell service, there's a nice beach you can walk to about 10 minutes away and if you were lucky enough to get one of the few sites on the water they looked very nice.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Lancaster, NH
Reviewed 29 July 2009

We have been going to Casey's to camp out for years. We started in a tent and graduated to a pop-up. There is no other campground like Casey's and we use Casey's as an example by which all other campgrounds are measured. We always say we are going to try to go somewhere else but we always go back to Casey's. The scenery is spectacular. We have had to book campgrounds when my son is traveling to play baseball and most of the places are RV parks with no woods or they are so packed together that it is not enjoyable. You do not go to Casey's if you are interested in or used to RV parks. Casey's generators run from 7-10 in the morning and at night so you have to plan your day accordingly. We started coming to Casey's for the simple fact that they had a store with ice and a few groceries so we did not have to run into Greenville every day to get ice. You can also rent small boats at Casey's which at other campgrounds, we had to pay a lot of money to rent the bigger boats or had to go 45 minutes on the other side of the lake to rent the boats. This year I went up to Casey's by myself and rented one of the older cabins. I have to admit that I was a little leery of it since we had always camped and I didn't know what the condition of the cabin was in. I had also read some of the horrible reviews about the cabins with the propane leakage and the cyanide in the water. When I mentioned the reviews to Sarah, she personally checked out the cabin ahead of time to ensure that everything was in working order. It is a little disconcerting since the cabin does get dark when the generator is not on but the toilets and the showers work 24/7. You get used to the darkness so just make sure you bring a good lantern. The cabin was clean and sufficient for my purposes. I was so happy that I made this short trek this year. My favorite part of Casey's besides the views is that every part of the campground is different and each side has different views. I swam on the lake side as well as the bay side as well as Pebble Beach. There is not a spot on the campground that is not nice. Sarah and Casey are very accommodating but they also are not going to put up with bad behavior on the campground. Casey comes off as gruff at times but you get to know them and they will do anything to help make your stay comfortable. As you can tell, they will not get a bad review from me. We did not get to go to Casey's last year for the first time in years and I drove 4 hours up and 4 hours back for a 2 and a half day stay. That will tell you how badly I wanted to go back this year. If you are expecting pampering then Casey's is not the place for you but if you can handle a little bit of wilderness, there is no place better that I have found.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Well I`ve been reading the Bad reviews on Casey and Sara and these are so far from the trueth its not funny. These are two of the most caring and nicest people my wife and I know. They work so hard to keep there camp ground clean and welcoming to the puplic and may I add they do a great job. Sure he has some rules but thats why the campground is clean, quiet., fun and relaxing. Also you feel safe there for he looks out for his quests. People need to remember that it is his lively hood But most of all it is His Home. My wife and I have been going there since the 70`S at least two times a year more if we could and in al that time we have no complaints. This is a rustic camp ground but it is clean with showers and that in its self is a Plus. He even has a speed limit coming in which is good because that is for every bodies protection. Sara and Casey Love kids let me show you an example. We had one of our grand children with us a year back who loved to fish. He fished most of one day for a few hours with no luck . Casey and Sara saw this and took time out of there busy day to show Alex (my grandson) were to fish and what to do to catch them. Both of them sat right with him fishing and with in a few minutes he had caught a good size fish. His little face lit up like a light bulb. Afterwards my grandson said to me Sara and Casey are so nice they just made his vacation the best ever. So to those who write bad reviews on Sara ,Casey and the campground you couldn`t of followed the simple rules he has. Slow down, pickup after your pets( just be cause its the woods doesn`t mean they can go to the bathroom were they want) I bring three dogs and we pickup after them. Last be quiet when quiet time is. I don`t think that is to much to ask. No matter what your age, single, married or with family & friends this is a great place to go camping. My kids grew up going to Casey`s and now they go there with there kids and also there friends. We thank you so much Sara And Casey For Great Vacations. Anne & Wally

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Maine
Reviewed 17 July 2009

We are going to be repeat visitors to Casey's, it has everything we wanted. Reasonal prices convenient boat launch and dock, great wooded sites and super owners. We traveled with a number of people and everyone was a " happy camper". We are making it our camping trip destination again this year and bringing even more people! Make sure you visit the pebble beach it is so beautiful!!!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
United States
Reviewed 21 June 2009

Casey's Camps is the #1 location for an outdoors vacation in Greenville, Maine. Last year I traveled there with my grandparents, aunt, uncle and cousins. I stayed in a cabin with my grandparents and my aunt, uncle and cousins in the other cabin. There you can swim in the lake, kayak and canoe on the lake, go fishing in the boating marina, mountain biking, running, hiking, feed the baby ducks and relax on the beach. You can also hike to secret beaches about 10 minutes from Casey's called Pebble Beach and Tipi Beach. Pebble Beach is known for it's white pebbles on the beach and the mini homes made of pebbles on the beach made by passers. Tipi Beach is known for the large tipis on the beach made from the many driftwood on the beach's shore. It's also a great place to skip stones on the water because of it's many flat stones. This location is a great place for adventurous people. Casey and Sarah who run the camp are the nicest people you'll meet. They'll do anything to make your experience even better than it already is. Every Saturday Casey places a large pot of baked beans in the ground with ashes over it and the next day you can buy a pot for a very low price. On good days its great to be there and to relax, but on rainy days you should probably go into town for lunch and shopping. But I prefer to go for a swim while it's raining because it makes the lake warmer. In conclusion, this is a great adventurous spot for a family trip. But if you're not an adventurous person, do not come because you will not be up to the things to do. And please don't go and leave a bad comment.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenville
Gray Ghost Camps
Greenville Inn at Moosehead Lake
Moose Mountain Inn
Moose Mountain Inn
#4 of 5 in Greenville

Been to Casey's Spencer Bay Camps? Share your experiences!