Moosehead Lodge was chosen because of in part the view but also because of the information on the website. We decided to treat ourselves as the price was a little more than we would normally look to spend on such a vacation. The website was inviting and indicated that you would be staying in luxurious surroundings overlooking the spectacular Moosehead Lake.
Despite some of the other Trip Advisors reviews Linda our host was welcoming, friendly and informative and spoke with pride of what she is trying to achieve at The Lodge. The rooms are very comfortable and well equipped and there are some lovely touches included such as the evening information sheet detailing the weather for the next day on vacation and at home as well as a nice and turndown service.
We stayed in the Bear Room and whilst comfortable the bathroom was tired and needs bringing up to date with the rest of the bedroom. The outside space was a big let down with a very small balcony viewable on three sides providing no privacy and a uncomfortable bench as furniture and a small parasol but that could be due to the space available. Compared to our travel partners in the Loon Room we certainly got the poor end in balcony space and privacy.
We arrived after a drive from Bar Harbor so on the first day of our stay we decided to take advantage of the dining option on offer, in the main this turned out to be a very good decision sat on the balcony overlooking Moosehead Lake in the evening sun watching it set was an memorable experience. Given the shortage of places on offer nearby to eat this is something I think The Lodge could make more of if it wishes to be taken seriously as a boutique style lodge.
However there were negatives associated with the meal, first the meal was booked for 7pm however it was 8.20pm before our main course was served and as one of our group didn't partake in an appetiser this delay was too long.
It was not as if the place was busy.
Secondly one of our group is vegetarian and we had pre arranged with Linda a vegetarian option to be served. This was described by her as something special the chef had prepared but turned out to be anything but, it was basically the vegetables from a meat based main. In all honesty the vegetarian option appeared to have caused more of a problem to the chef than it should. The vegetables themselves were nice but certainly could not be considered special. In order to assist in the meal preparation we were asked to give two days notice of the menu choices which we did by email however when we arrived the choice of dessert was no longer available although the alternative was very good.
Breakfasts are more than adequate with a reasonable selection on offer and a different daily cooked course.
The Lodge hire overseas students to assist in the serving and room maintenance and I must say that both were very pleasant and attentive.
Would I say that The Lodge was value for money - No
Would I return if I'm the area - Probably Not
What was the best part of the stay - it has to be the view, but it is a lot to pay for.
If The Lodge is to be taken seriously in achieving its Luxurious Boutique status then it needs to up its game, I have stayed in better Bed and Breakfasts and have paid no where near this amount.
Verdict disappointed overall
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy breathtaking lake and mountain views at our romantic Greenville, Maine inn. Relax in masterfully decorated rooms and suites at our Moosehead Lake lodging with Jacuzzis, fireplaces, private decks, and luxurious linens and robes. Sit back in our pub with full bar and games, or enjoy our complimentary snacks, DVD library and Wi-Fi. Don't miss out on unforgettable breakfasts and sumptuous dinners at this Moosehead Lake adventure lodge. Activities galore - many exclusive to the Lodge at Moosehead, a AAA 4 Diamond property for over 25 years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Ebookers so you can book your Lodge at Moosehead Lake reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lodge At Moosehead Lake Hotel Greenville
- Moosehead Lake Hotel
- Lodge At Moosehead Lake Maine/Greenville