“Best thing was the bread! View was nice too from the porch.”
Review of Francesca's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Francesca's
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This place had been recommended to me by a friend who previously sent me to a GREAT restaurant. Sadly, they went out of business. I'm going to have to say, this place will too. It was empty on a Saturday nite. The special that night was "Pasta Primavera"- it was mainly re-heated frozen green beans that were rubbery for the veggie, and green/yellow peppers and carrots. It's the height of fresh veggie season here in Maine- and it was such an incredibly bad dish. Spouse did not like his "hunk of chicken" which was called Chicken Francesca- said the sauce was ok. Our friend said she did enjoy the Lobster Ravioli. Soup was awful, salad was so-so. They gave tiny slivers of bread prior to the meal with EVOO and garlic which was REALLY good! So good we asked for more since they were so frugal with the bread basket. When we asked for it again, they said they would have to charge for it. In all my years of going to restaurants, that was a first! We will not be going there ever again needless to say. Wish I had read reviews of this place prior to going!

2  Thank Leslie N

Reviewed 22 July 2012

Sorry Francesca's.... horrible, over-priced food. $22.00 for 3 pieces of dried out, bland Manicotti.... are you kidding me?! Ordered stuffed mushrooms..... it was one big mushroom, tons of dry, uncooked stuffing inside and some gross sauce over the top that made the whole dish purple. Salad was wilted sour greens, and as I already eluded to, the Manicotti was a flop! Overpriced, lousy food, and not great service. Francesca's, you win my worst resturant of the year award!!!!

2  Thank Melissa H
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Let me start off by saying that I had heard some great things about Francesca's so I decided that on date night with the husband, which only happens about once a month, we would venture out to try their food. I will not be going again....and.....I know feel guilty for the $80 that we spent there, because it could have been used for something much better. Let me first state that the waitress, the sangria, and the antipaso app that we had were all great. It went downhill after that. I got a pasta dish that was supposed to have a cream sauce and ricotta cheese, I am guessing that the chef forgot to season the dish because it was the most bland food that I have ever eaten. My husband got a chicken dish that was supposed to be served with spaghetti and broccoli. The chicken was flavorless, the spaghetti was OLD, the broccoli was taken from the freezer and then reheated to the point where there was no broccoli, just some mushy green things on the plate. I feel awful that I spent this money there and is now not surprised that the place was empty. When a restaurant advertises fresh food, they should serve fresh food, not FROZEN, OLD, MUSHY food that we got. I would say that I would give it a second try, but I don't think that my stomach would like me very much.

2  Thank Sara M
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We are local & also had heard wildly divergent reviews of this place. Our experience was spectacularly average. The service was okay, adequate if not memorable, although no one seemed very interested in being there. The food was okay: well prepared in the sense that everything was cooked but not overcooked & flavors were balanced/appropriate to the dishes, but not interesting or especially delicious. The bread was made out of that gluey dough. If you want the real thing, drive to Rockland & go to Rustica. If you want something better than this and it's not winter, go to Pastaz in Gardiner. You can even go to the Olive Garden if you want mediocre food for a lot less bucks.

1  Thank Chellie R
Reviewed 19 December 2011

You know that warm and fuzzy feeling you get from being entirely comfortable with not a care in the world? I get my 'warm and fuzzy feeling' from Francesca's. My best friend and I hadn't seen each other in weeks due to the usual Holiday rush - you know how it is, if you don't hit the ground running after Thanksgiving, you'll never catch up. So we decided to hand the kids off and take some time to ourselves. I picked Francesca's based on their Google reviews and even though it's a bit of a drive we decided we could swing by Perfect Gift and some other stores there just as an excuse :) Going in it was that perfect "ahhhh moment" where we got out of the cold and were greeted with a nice, cozy atmosphere. The food was perfect! The meat lasagna was the good old comfort food I needed to take the edge off the cold and the holiday stress. Our service was quick and pleasant, but very unobtrusive and conscious of the fact that my friend and I were trying to catch up. Everything was so good, we even took the time to linger over some cheesecake and coffee. Next time we sneak off for some time for ourselves, we're coming right back here.