“wonderful menu, great food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Waitstaff
Boston, Massachusetts
“wonderful menu, great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a fun place with great food. The menu has so many interesting options and daily specials. Even the sides are interesting, not your boring salad or fries. Two of the six choices I remember were saffron risotto cake and minted chopped cucumber. For the entree, 2 of us enjoyed red snapper which came with a pineapple salsa and a quesadilla plus a side! It was really good. The haddock topped with lobster meat was another good choice. The waitress was so accommodating. She let us sample 2 wines before we decided on bottles for the table. For dessert I had the best German chocolate cake I've had in years, since my Mother made them for my birthday from scratch. I'll be back.

• Visited July 2014

Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Nothing better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

When you drive for four hours and insist on driving another ten minutes to have dinner at Slates, you know it is going to be good. The food, the atmosphere, the flavors. Nothing better

Visited May 2014
Trumansburg, New York
“Still a Great Spot in a Sleepy Town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Hallowell is a sleepy little hollow on the river with many antique shops, although not as many as there used to be and in the middle of it all a wonderful dining establishment called Slates. In addition to god food and friendly staff, there is often music and creative works form local artists on the walls. Brunch is a special treat but you can't go wrong for lunch or dinner and don't miss the pies!!!!

• Visited June 2013
Thank David .
Manchester, ME
“Always delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Slates is always a GREAT place to have a meal, a delicious drink (try the Italian Mimosa or Bloody Mary -- or one of each!), and to see a show on a Monday night! Be sure you have time, it can be slow service but if you plan for that you'll enjoy the chance to sit back, relax, and enjoy your time there. Incredible food with great daily specials.
Sunday brunch is straight out an episode of Portlandia -- you have to go.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank ribsmalone
Portland, Maine
“Great food, slowwwwww service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I went to Slates Saturday for brunch with another woman. The restaurant was busy, and appeared to have just two servers. We waited 20 minutes before ours came over. I understand busy - I spent many years as a server myself - but make some eye contact with customers languishing at a table without even a glass of water. Let them know you're busy, but you see them. Once we ordered, things moved apace - we got our wine and meals (which were wonderful!) The server didn't check back, but we didn't need her to. No complaint with the food at all - it's always good, and it was this time. I had salmon, which was delicious, and my friend had hangar steak, which she said was very good. We weren't in a hurry, but if no one even waves or checks in, it's hard to tell if they even know you're there.

• Visited February 2014