“Great last resort property”

White Birches Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hancock
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We arrived in Bar Harbour, unbeknowest to us that Kenny Chesny was playing in Bar Harbour, and basically the city was sold out. Another property let us know that the Knights Inn still had rooms left and was kind enough to hold a room until we arrived.

The room had a musty smell to it. It looked like the fridge had a leak, and the smell from the wet carpet was still in the room. We le the front desk know of which the General Manager came up right away with a heavy duty deoderizer. It helped, as there were no other rooms left, we stayed.

It was a nice room after a day of travelling. The rooms do need a little updating, great wifi, with just a little more attention to the smaller items in the room.

Room Tip: As to see the room first to make sure it is clean and fresh
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Best rate around on short notice and during peak season. I think I paid $80/night on three days notice in the middle of August. You can't beat that...

On arrival, check-in was seamless. I was a late arrival (as I usually am) - be aware the office closes at 10pm so call ahead if you'll arrive later.

The room was...a room. It smelled rank. It was like a mix between dirty dog and cigarette (non-smoking room). The carpet was gross. The comforter on the bed was questionable. The sheets and pillow cases smelled like bleach - a plus. The adjoining room door looked as though someone had attempted to break through it at some point (yikes!) and the toilet in the bathroom didn't flush with much vigor (actually required on more than one occasion some fiddling with tank innards to get some simple toilet paper down).

The cars in the parking lot were mostly out of state newer-model cars which to me was a plus. It didn't seem to be a hang out for low life locals. It seemed more like a place to sleep at night for the budget weary traveler. All in all my experience was "meh" and I'd probably spend a few extra dollars to stay somewhere else given the option again. But...I really doubt you'll get murdered or a communicable disease here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank USMC076
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Looks like an average hotel, nothing special, the parking lot is horrible very tight & hard to back out of as your close enough to hit the car behind you. We paid about $100 for the room and booked several months before, Our beds were comfy as could be, we had a mini fridge that worked just fine for our 3 night stay. The front lobby has a microwave that you can use at any time of the day, staff is super nice & recommends many places to eat in town. Also this is a Pet Friendly Hotel it says it on the sigh out front on the main road. Also WiFi worked great for us 3 bars all the time, didn't watch much tv so could careless how old the tv was.

Thought it was a great no traffic and about a 20 min drive into Bar Harbor with no traffic. Also when you have lights on outside every room a moth or 2 will probably fly into your room it's not going to kill you capture them and release, no big deal. We also had a tiny frog in our room but it's like any "tropical place" Mexico you have lizards, Florida too,etc..no big deal whatever get over it as long as these creatures weren't living in the bed & biting me we have no worries!

The main thing it was clean & convenient!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I had been to worse so I'll give it a moderately fair rating. 75$ room special on peak season. Has a dorm size ref but no microwave. Carpet is dirty but beds are OK. Bathroom not bad although we found a pea size baby frog in the tub - surprise, surprise! Due to the location we also found a moth (small). An old crt Zenith TV. Coffee maker in the room. Ice bucket with ice machine a short walk by the office. Service is OK, will change sheets and towel promptly if you ask for it.

We were late to book at Bar Harbor so we got this place. You need to book three weeks before to get vacancy at Bar Harbor. The place is close to everything though - Walmart, LLBean Outlet, McDo, Dennys, etc.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The picture on the website makes this hotel look like a castle, but it is far from it! Advertises free WI Fi but could not even get 1 bar. I was in town to run a Ultra Marathon and like to relax in a cool room before my run but I could not get my room below 85 degrees and got no sleep..my sister was in town from Fla. with my niece staying in the next room which was nice but had to move because their room would not lock ( not very safe ) Last thing, not sure if this place is pet friendly, but some kind of pet got friendly in my room, on top of the very hot room, the smell of cat urine was overpowering...would not recommend this place!

Room Tip: Skip it for the Hampton Inn down the road..I would have stayed there but it was full..
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank jdinthehouse
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Yea that picture is not the place that is the catering business across the street. No golf green like pictured. It was overgrown. No breakfast just coffee. Room was clean. Good location. Needs updating but basically a room with a clean bed and bathroom. Wifi was terrible used my mifi instead. No complaints aside From this was not as advertised. It is a typical motel not what is pictured. Easy trip to MDI Bar Harbor and Acadia National park. While it was not bad we will not be back. I am a bit snobby when it comes to hotels. So don't avoid it the staff is great.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Everything was average. No bells and whistles. It's a place to lay your head at night. The rooms were clean minus the cobwebs behind the bathroom door and I kind of giggled when I spotted them. It wasn't that big of a deal. There really is no continental breakfast, only coffee that I saw. It's cheap and bed bug free so no complaints here.

• Stayed: July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hancock
Comfort Inn Ellsworth - Bar Harbor
#5 of 10 in Ellsworth
Colonial Inn
Colonial Inn
#8 of 10 in Ellsworth

Been to White Birches Motel? Share your experiences!