“I REALLY tried not to hate it.”

White Birches Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hancock
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My family and I stayed here this last week, August 17-29, 2013. I really tried to like it, but it just had too many things wrong with it. My 10-year-old son will probably say it was his favorite place he has ever stayed because he got to take a shower with a frog--the rest of us were glad that he showered first.

The picture on their website is deceiving. It is taken in the direction of the hotel, but the big building you see doesn't even belong to the property. It is a Motel with entrances to the outside.

Here are my pro's and con's and you can decide what you think.

Pro's:
-It had Cable TV that would stay on the channel you were watching when you turned it off and then on again.
-It was only about 35 minutes away from Acadia National Park
-Ellsworth is a nice little town away from the tourist trap of Bar Harbor but still close enough to get to what we wanted rather quickly.
-They have some nice Adirondack wood chairs out front to sit and watch the parking lot, or read and enjoy the weather.
-They provided both shampoo and conditioner
-We all took showers and never ran out of hot water.
-The water pressure was good.
-Was $100 less than anything else I could find.
-One story, so you don't have people walking around above you.
-Right on route 1 on the way to Schoodic part of Acadia.

Con's:
-Had a dingy, unpleasant smell, especially when you turned on the AC.
-The fridge had a really loud hum to it so I had to unplug it at night to sleep.
-The pillows were lumpy and hard.
-You could hear the neighbor's shower and it was loud, surprisingly though I never heard another TV or person talking through the walls.
-It was not clean. The shower was the only clean thing. There was hair on the floor (not ours) that was never cleaned up while we were there. We also found several dead bugs that were never cleaned up. I also saw three spiders, though I guess I'm glad for them because they were clearly taking care of the other bugs.
-No free breakfast, apparently they recently changed their policy and only offer free coffee and tea (which we don't drink).
-For us the Wifi was down the entire time. I complained about it but they said they had an electrical storm recently and hadn't gotten it fixed. Perhaps that's true, but we were there 3 days and it never worked the whole time we were there.
-My daughter layed on the floor briefly before she got back up saying, "Eww, it stinks down here."
-Doubt it has ever been updated. The bathroom reminded me of a grandma's bathroom, linoleum floor, baseboard heating, old sink, etc.
-There was mold along the edge of the tub where it meets the floor.
-There was no hair-drier.

My husband said as we were leaving, "You know, I really prefer to stay in a hotel that is AT LEAST as clean as our house." I said, "I can't believe we payed $20 less a night for a Marriott Courtyard in Boston the two nights previous." That about sums it up.

3  Thank AMother0f2

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We arrived in Bar Harbour, unbeknowest to us that Kenny Chesny was playing in Bar Harbour, and basically the city was sold out. Another property let us know that the Knights Inn still had rooms left and was kind enough to hold a room until we arrived.

The room had a musty smell to it. It looked like the fridge had a leak, and the smell from the wet carpet was still in the room. We le the front desk know of which the General Manager came up right away with a heavy duty deoderizer. It helped, as there were no other rooms left, we stayed.

It was a nice room after a day of travelling. The rooms do need a little updating, great wifi, with just a little more attention to the smaller items in the room.

Room Tip: As to see the room first to make sure it is clean and fresh
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Best rate around on short notice and during peak season. I think I paid $80/night on three days notice in the middle of August. You can't beat that...

On arrival, check-in was seamless. I was a late arrival (as I usually am) - be aware the office closes at 10pm so call ahead if you'll arrive later.

The room was...a room. It smelled rank. It was like a mix between dirty dog and cigarette (non-smoking room). The carpet was gross. The comforter on the bed was questionable. The sheets and pillow cases smelled like bleach - a plus. The adjoining room door looked as though someone had attempted to break through it at some point (yikes!) and the toilet in the bathroom didn't flush with much vigor (actually required on more than one occasion some fiddling with tank innards to get some simple toilet paper down).

The cars in the parking lot were mostly out of state newer-model cars which to me was a plus. It didn't seem to be a hang out for low life locals. It seemed more like a place to sleep at night for the budget weary traveler. All in all my experience was "meh" and I'd probably spend a few extra dollars to stay somewhere else given the option again. But...I really doubt you'll get murdered or a communicable disease here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank USMC076
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Looks like an average hotel, nothing special, the parking lot is horrible very tight & hard to back out of as your close enough to hit the car behind you. We paid about $100 for the room and booked several months before, Our beds were comfy as could be, we had a mini fridge that worked just fine for our 3 night stay. The front lobby has a microwave that you can use at any time of the day, staff is super nice & recommends many places to eat in town. Also this is a Pet Friendly Hotel it says it on the sigh out front on the main road. Also WiFi worked great for us 3 bars all the time, didn't watch much tv so could careless how old the tv was.

Thought it was a great no traffic and about a 20 min drive into Bar Harbor with no traffic. Also when you have lights on outside every room a moth or 2 will probably fly into your room it's not going to kill you capture them and release, no big deal. We also had a tiny frog in our room but it's like any "tropical place" Mexico you have lizards, Florida too,etc..no big deal whatever get over it as long as these creatures weren't living in the bed & biting me we have no worries!

The main thing it was clean & convenient!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I had been to worse so I'll give it a moderately fair rating. 75$ room special on peak season. Has a dorm size ref but no microwave. Carpet is dirty but beds are OK. Bathroom not bad although we found a pea size baby frog in the tub - surprise, surprise! Due to the location we also found a moth (small). An old crt Zenith TV. Coffee maker in the room. Ice bucket with ice machine a short walk by the office. Service is OK, will change sheets and towel promptly if you ask for it.

We were late to book at Bar Harbor so we got this place. You need to book three weeks before to get vacancy at Bar Harbor. The place is close to everything though - Walmart, LLBean Outlet, McDo, Dennys, etc.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

The picture on the website makes this hotel look like a castle, but it is far from it! Advertises free WI Fi but could not even get 1 bar. I was in town to run a Ultra Marathon and like to relax in a cool room before my run but I could not get my room below 85 degrees and got no sleep..my sister was in town from Fla. with my niece staying in the next room which was nice but had to move because their room would not lock ( not very safe ) Last thing, not sure if this place is pet friendly, but some kind of pet got friendly in my room, on top of the very hot room, the smell of cat urine was overpowering...would not recommend this place!

Room Tip: Skip it for the Hampton Inn down the road..I would have stayed there but it was full..
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank jdinthehouse
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Yea that picture is not the place that is the catering business across the street. No golf green like pictured. It was overgrown. No breakfast just coffee. Room was clean. Good location. Needs updating but basically a room with a clean bed and bathroom. Wifi was terrible used my mifi instead. No complaints aside From this was not as advertised. It is a typical motel not what is pictured. Easy trip to MDI Bar Harbor and Acadia National park. While it was not bad we will not be back. I am a bit snobby when it comes to hotels. So don't avoid it the staff is great.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hancock
Comfort Inn Ellsworth - Bar Harbor
#5 of 10 in Ellsworth
Colonial Inn
Colonial Inn
#8 of 10 in Ellsworth

Been to White Birches Motel? Share your experiences!