First of all, the staff was very helpful and polite, even exchanging our room for one with an extra bed since they had no kingsize available for us. The room was comfortable and average-sized, bathroom was clean and larger than we expected. We were able to park right outside our door. We got an early start on our first morning (after muffins, juice, coffee provided by motel) since we wanted to see as much of Acadia Nat'l Park as possible before dark. It's very helpful to know ahead of time what time the sun rises and sets, especially if you wish to see sunrise or sunset from atop Cadillac Mtn. We found plenty of brochures/ advice in the office along with maps of the Park, etc. We had a leisurely drive around the 27 mile loop of the Park before enjoying lobster and delicious Maine blueberry pie in Bar Harbor. On our second and final day we decided to sightsee on the "quiet side" of Mount Desert Island so we drove through Southwest Harbor (a very compact village) and on down to Bass Harbor Lighthouse. This lighthouse is an absolute must for photographers but in order to take the photos you have to descend lots of wooden steps (well constructed and safe with handrails). There is a paved pathway from the opposite side of the parking area that leads you to the lighthouse but the only thing visible from that side is the caretaker-house and a couple of large bells (good photo there also). We would definitely recommend Knights Inn to anyone wanting affordable rates and comfort without anything fancy. We found it to be just what we needed-- a nice place to rest while checking out Mt. Desert Island/ Acadia and Bar Harbor.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- White Birches Motel, conveniently located at the crossroads of Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor and Downeast Maine, offers clean and affordable accommodations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your White Birches Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Acadia Birches Knights Inn Ellsworth/Bar Harbor Hotel Hancock
- White Birches Country Hotel
- White Birches Motel Maine/Hancock