“Great food & service”

Ranked #2 of 8 Restaurants in Holden
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My wife and I visited the Lucerne Inn for dinner twice in the past few weeks, and had a great experience both times. On our second visit, we brought along our teenaged son.

We both selected the filet mignon during our first visit in February. This is a standard menu item at the Inn, and I've had it several times- never disappointing. The nicely sized cut was cooked to perfection- the rare side of medium rare, and served upon a portion of homemade mashed potatoes. The vegetable mix that filled out the plate was very good.

The meal began with a fresh green salad and homemade bread, which are always good. I also had a cup of the seafood chowder, which is one of the better chowders available in Maine, in my opinion.

Our second visit was during Maine Restaurant Week, when the Inn offered a three course meal for $35. There were three appetizer, entree and dessert selections available. This is the visit where our son came along, and we covered the menu. Everything was excellent! The stuffed mushroom caps and bruschetta appetizers, along with scallop and baked fish entrees were most memorable, as were the dessert selections.

In my experience, the service at the Lucerne Inn has always been very good, and these two trips were no exception.

We are fortunate enough to live close to the Inn, so we go there fairly often. If you enjoy fine dining, you should try this restaurant if you have the opportunity to do so.. The Lucerne Inn restaurant is definitely one of the top three or four restaurants in the Bangor area.

1  Thank Ted R

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Visited the Lucern Inn for Sunday Brunch. They had quite an assortment from eggs and Muffins to fish and roast beef. Also an Omelet station, Omelets were just OK. Also a dessert station with a few different cheesecakes. Over all it wasn't too bad, but at $50.00 (with tip) for a couple, we will be searching other choices.

3  Thank Webster_88
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I'll start with the only negative thing about our dining experience - there was a large group of Canadians there for a birthday party who had been drinking at the bar prior to being seated behind us. They were very loud. But, I guess when you venture out of the house, you're bound to run into people like this.

My husband and I were looking for a nice dinner out. Everything around here is chain restaurants so we were having a hard time picking a place that would be special. I emailed the Lucerne Inn to see if they ever put beef wellington on their menu, as no one else in Bangor served it. The innkeeper asked me when we'd be dining, and they'd be sure to put it on the menu as a special. We made our reservations for Saturday night.

It was DELICIOUS! I thought I was going to cry, it was so so so good! The mixed veggies were good, the potato was good - but the beef wellington was just out of this world!

The wait staff was attentive, but not pushy or hovering. Christina was our waitress and she was very friendly and helpful.

We can't wait to go back and do it again!

1  Thank momoftwoteenboys
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The atmosphere is great and the service was amazing, however the food was less than fantastic. Actually the food was less than average. I ordered baked stuffed haddock and it was tasteless. The stuffing was very soggy and with little flavor. The rice was under cooked. The Veggies were very over done. My husband ordered baked scallops and they too were flavorless. They were also very small. The standard at a classy restaurant like this place presents as you would definitely expect higher quality food. I suspect the haddock was previously frozen. The waitress was the best part of the experience, she had perfect attention to detail. The quality for the price I will not like ly go back. This is the second bad experience in two months which will keep me from going back.

2  Thank Lo3rn
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We have passed by the picturesque Lucerne Inn many times over the years on trips from Bangor to Bar Harbor and vice versa. We finally decided to give their restaurant a try on a very slow Sunday evening in October. The only waitress on duty was charming, chatty, and personable, and did an excellent job, although we were the only diners in the dining room until just before we got up to leave.

The menu turned out to be rather disappointing and predictable, with only the slightest pretense of offering upscale cuisine. The items we chose were not particularly well prepared or plated, and we could only surmise that their A-team is not on duty on Sunday evenings in the off season. It was OK but not much more.

The view was attractive, the service was great, but the food was uninteresting and ultimately disappointing, particularly at their price points. I don't think we will bother to try this restaurant again. Other local restaurants offer similar food for half the price.

1  Thank foodbuffs