“Keep Driving”

Shiretown Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Houlton
Reviewed 25 April 2014

It was snowing, we were tired from driving for many hours and found this motel on the main road, it was the only place we saw in this remote area. We went in to get a room, the lobby wasn't bad so we took a room. I'm not big on motels anyway but when we walked around back to our room there were about 25 people standing about 30 feet from our door. There was a bar right in the back of the hotel we didn't notice until we got to the room which is why the people were hanging around. I'm normally a live and let live, have fun, but I was a little afraid there. The clerk never mentioned the bar. Being so tired, I just wanted to sleep, I propped up the luggage rack against the door and tried but it was loud until late.
The price of the room was ridiculous $90. The beds were like rocks everything was old, even the TV was the old big box and didn't work well. I was wondering if this was normally a rent by the hour type of place. We decided to stay because we were so tired and got up and out early in the morning even though there was a raging snow storm. If I ever go back to this area you can bet I will plan better and won't be stopping for the night.

Room Tip: The only tip I have is avoid this place.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Deborah W
There are newer reviews for Shiretown Motor Inn

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Clean and pretty up-to-date rooms. I really enjoyed the pool area, towels could be a bit bigger. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. Hotel is right on the trails and in close proximity to pretty much whatever Houlton has to offer.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 December 2013

It had been years since I had stayed here but found myself in town again for work. I was satisfied with this stay, my room was in the remodeled section and I found it to be adequate, clean, warm and a comfy bed. The Wi-Fi worked well and I enjoyed the microwave and refrigerator. Would stay here again in the future. Just make certain you ask to be in the renovated section.

Room Tip: Ask for the remodeled section
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Teri B
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We used to stay here every year on our way up to Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. The Motor Inn was fine for a night's stay - nothing special, but a place to put your head down and get some rest, especially if you get a room on the side away from the road. Free wi-fi is good. And, there's an Irving Big Stop across the street for dinner. Not good food, but food and close. Shiretown offers a complimentary breakfast in the tiny lobby, the standard quick fare but enough to satisfy without having to stop at Tim Horton's before continuing your journey

This year, however, we learned that it is just as easy - if not easier - to cross the border at night (after a 9 hour drive) and spend the night in Woodstock at the Howard Johnson.

The Shiretown has a good location if you want to stay in the US and make the crossing in the morning. But we found on this trip that crossing the border at dinner time was quick and easy, easier than in the morning, allows you to have a good night's sleep without worrying about the crossing, and gives you a leg up on the next day's drive.

Room Tip: Select a room in the block that faces away from the road. #146-154 have direct access from parking...
Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hfot2
Reviewed 3 October 2013

On the last night of our Girls Trip to Maine we decided to stay in Houlton. We enlisted the help of Google to find out which hotels were in the town. We stopped at the Shiretown and liked the price so we decided to check it out. The building we were given a room in was a rebuild after a fire a couple of years ago. I could find nothing wrong with the room. It had two double beds, a full bathroom and an additional sink outside the bathroom. Flat screen TV mounted on the wall, big mini fridge, microwave, two chairs and a nice sized table in the corner as well as a writing desk. The room was clean and well kept. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful.

They also had a complimentary continental breakfast that had english muffins, toast, cereal, coffee, tea, juice, yogurt. I can't remember if they had bagels or not. I think there may have been bananas too.

The hotel also had an indoor pool as well as a bar by the pool. We didn't get a chance to check out the pool or bar. Within walking distance there is a Wal-Mart, grocery store, Tim Horton's and a couple of service stations. A short drive there is a MacDonald and a Pizza Restaurant.

My friends and I were very happy with this hotel and would have no problem recommending it to others. The town of Houlton is also a nice spot to visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer front building.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MissKittyNemo
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I have stayed at this Inn more times than I can count for business trips. I always stay in the newer part and am happy to say it is always clean and is in good condition. I have alot of anxiety about staying in public places and have been able to stay there without complaint. The staff is friendly and has me almost checked in before I even get through the door. I lost a ring and called to have them be aware in case it was found in the hotel room; and without asking, the woman that cleans the rooms went and looked all through the room immediately before they booked another guest in the room. During the school year, I stay 1-2 nights a week on a regular basis-less during Summer. I usually stay in the same room but have stayed in another and it was in the same condition. Heating and air conditioning works well.

Room Tip: I have only stayed in rooms in the new addition closest to the highway.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2013 via mobile

Needs lots of updating. Non-smoking room smelled like a smoking room. Just bearable enough to rest ones head for the night after a 10 hour drive. Looked like room could have used a vacuum once over. Great location near border and convenience like a Tim Horton and Walmart close by

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Modern M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houlton
Canada's Best Value Inn & Suites Woodstock
#1 of 1 in Jacksonville
Stiles Motel
Stiles Motel
#3 of 4 in Woodstock

Been to Shiretown Motor Inn? Share your experiences!