“Good Rates”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Houlton
Charlotte
“Good Rates”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This Motel is family run and they do try to help you in all that they can. However, stay in the NEWLY renovated part and pay the little extra as the older section really need work. No smoking rooms have smoke smell that hits you like a brick when you walk in and are not really up to par with the new section. The new section is very nice and everything is comfortable. The staff is very helpful but little things do pop up like toilets not flushing.

Room Tip: Rooms in the NEW section are very nice. The older section not so nice
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Our car broke down and we had to get towed to here. The desk clerk was very kind to us. We were traveling with 2 adult dogs and a puppy we had just picked up.She did not charge us for the 3 dogs and, the next day, when our vehicle was not ready at checkout time, she allowed us to stay as long as it was going to take. I know the cleaning crew were trying to get our room done and get home, but, they too, told us not to worry. We were so very grateful. I would highly recommend them for these acts of kindness alone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Judy W
Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed 25 April 2014

It was snowing, we were tired from driving for many hours and found this motel on the main road, it was the only place we saw in this remote area. We went in to get a room, the lobby wasn't bad so we took a room. I'm not big on motels anyway but when we walked around back to our room there were about 25 people standing about 30 feet from our door. There was a bar right in the back of the hotel we didn't notice until we got to the room which is why the people were hanging around. I'm normally a live and let live, have fun, but I was a little afraid there. The clerk never mentioned the bar. Being so tired, I just wanted to sleep, I propped up the luggage rack against the door and tried but it was loud until late.
The price of the room was ridiculous $90. The beds were like rocks everything was old, even the TV was the old big box and didn't work well. I was wondering if this was normally a rent by the hour type of place. We decided to stay because we were so tired and got up and out early in the morning even though there was a raging snow storm. If I ever go back to this area you can bet I will plan better and won't be stopping for the night.

Room Tip: The only tip I have is avoid this place.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Deborah W

Travellers are raving about these Houlton hotels

Belfast, Maine
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Clean and pretty up-to-date rooms. I really enjoyed the pool area, towels could be a bit bigger. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. Hotel is right on the trails and in close proximity to pretty much whatever Houlton has to offer.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Gorham, Maine
Reviewed 30 December 2013

It had been years since I had stayed here but found myself in town again for work. I was satisfied with this stay, my room was in the remodeled section and I found it to be adequate, clean, warm and a comfy bed. The Wi-Fi worked well and I enjoyed the microwave and refrigerator. Would stay here again in the future. Just make certain you ask to be in the renovated section.

Room Tip: Ask for the remodeled section
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ms_Dragon
Vermont
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We used to stay here every year on our way up to Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. The Motor Inn was fine for a night's stay - nothing special, but a place to put your head down and get some rest, especially if you get a room on the side away from the road. Free wi-fi is good. And, there's an Irving Big Stop across the street for dinner. Not good food, but food and close. Shiretown offers a complimentary breakfast in the tiny lobby, the standard quick fare but enough to satisfy without having to stop at Tim Horton's before continuing your journey

This year, however, we learned that it is just as easy - if not easier - to cross the border at night (after a 9 hour drive) and spend the night in Woodstock at the Howard Johnson.

The Shiretown has a good location if you want to stay in the US and make the crossing in the morning. But we found on this trip that crossing the border at dinner time was quick and easy, easier than in the morning, allows you to have a good night's sleep without worrying about the crossing, and gives you a leg up on the next day's drive.

Room Tip: Select a room in the block that faces away from the road. #146-154 have direct access from parking...
Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hfot2
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 3 October 2013

On the last night of our Girls Trip to Maine we decided to stay in Houlton. We enlisted the help of Google to find out which hotels were in the town. We stopped at the Shiretown and liked the price so we decided to check it out. The building we were given a room in was a rebuild after a fire a couple of years ago. I could find nothing wrong with the room. It had two double beds, a full bathroom and an additional sink outside the bathroom. Flat screen TV mounted on the wall, big mini fridge, microwave, two chairs and a nice sized table in the corner as well as a writing desk. The room was clean and well kept. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful.

They also had a complimentary continental breakfast that had english muffins, toast, cereal, coffee, tea, juice, yogurt. I can't remember if they had bagels or not. I think there may have been bananas too.

The hotel also had an indoor pool as well as a bar by the pool. We didn't get a chance to check out the pool or bar. Within walking distance there is a Wal-Mart, grocery store, Tim Horton's and a couple of service stations. A short drive there is a MacDonald and a Pizza Restaurant.

My friends and I were very happy with this hotel and would have no problem recommending it to others. The town of Houlton is also a nice spot to visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer front building.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MissKittyNemo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houlton
Best Western Plus Woodstock Hotel & Conference Centre
#1 of 1 in Jacksonville
The Peak Sunset B&B
The Peak Sunset B&B
#1 of 1 in Grafton

Been to Shiretown Motor Inn? Share your experiences!