“Good basic accommodation”

Shiretown Motor Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Houlton
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We travel regularly from Ontario to Nova Scotia and have been staying here in Maine as it is only a short drive over the border and accommodation is cheaper here than in New Brunswick. As we are here only one night we are less demanding than if it was a week. Oddly enough we usualyy request the old section as you can unload directly into the room, they are ground level and access direct to the parking lot. This last time we had an non smoking room, but had obviously been smoking, the smell. The manager explained that they were switching all rooms over to non smoking but it would take time to replace the carpets and firniture.The rooms are basic, newer section is nicer. It has a pool and resturant, just recently reopened. It has a continental breakfast, just the basics. Convenient to Walmart, super market, and gas. Manager always friendly. This is a basic but reasonable motel in a small community. The question I received from US Border Patrol was "Why would you want to go to Houlton?" Yes this is rural, Houlton pop. 12,000, is the capital of Aroostook County, pop. 75,000, which has an area larger than Connecticut and Rhode Island combined.

Room Tip: There is a truck stop accross the street that is very busy. If road noise is a problem for you reque...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ken M

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We pre-paid for a King size room, in the newly renovated ( if this exists) section. We walked in to two double beds, since we were paying for a King room we called the front desk. The woman indicated nothing else was available. Funny because we booked weeks ago? I was digesting our small room when I sat on the bed. It was rock hard. The tv had a buzzing noise so viewing was not relaxing. The room smelled like moth balls and cigarettes. By the writing desk had blood on the wall. Not sure how that was overlooked. If we were not in the middle of no where I would have left.

The next day I just happened to view the door, which stated the room price, and stated if overcharged the hotel would need to pay the customer 3 times that amount as it's illegal. Didn't really think much of it, thinking we would get the lesser rate with a smaller room. Well I should have. The rate was still the 119.00 + tax ( King rate). At checkout the woman indicated her "manager" was not in, and she could not get in contact with them until that afternoon. We were so disgusted by the room, lack of sleep and overall customer service that we left.

I can appreciate this is one of two places in the town, and perhaps this was a busy weekend but the parking lot did not look packed. If we could have been offered the rate of the room we paid for, we might have been able to swallow the fact that we even paid to sleep there. I would not recommend this place based on the service, deception in pricing and discomfort within this motel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Aprian2014
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This Motel is family run and they do try to help you in all that they can. However, stay in the NEWLY renovated part and pay the little extra as the older section really need work. No smoking rooms have smoke smell that hits you like a brick when you walk in and are not really up to par with the new section. The new section is very nice and everything is comfortable. The staff is very helpful but little things do pop up like toilets not flushing.

Room Tip: Rooms in the NEW section are very nice. The older section not so nice
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Our car broke down and we had to get towed to here. The desk clerk was very kind to us. We were traveling with 2 adult dogs and a puppy we had just picked up.She did not charge us for the 3 dogs and, the next day, when our vehicle was not ready at checkout time, she allowed us to stay as long as it was going to take. I know the cleaning crew were trying to get our room done and get home, but, they too, told us not to worry. We were so very grateful. I would highly recommend them for these acts of kindness alone.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Judy W
Reviewed 25 April 2014

It was snowing, we were tired from driving for many hours and found this motel on the main road, it was the only place we saw in this remote area. We went in to get a room, the lobby wasn't bad so we took a room. I'm not big on motels anyway but when we walked around back to our room there were about 25 people standing about 30 feet from our door. There was a bar right in the back of the hotel we didn't notice until we got to the room which is why the people were hanging around. I'm normally a live and let live, have fun, but I was a little afraid there. The clerk never mentioned the bar. Being so tired, I just wanted to sleep, I propped up the luggage rack against the door and tried but it was loud until late.
The price of the room was ridiculous $90. The beds were like rocks everything was old, even the TV was the old big box and didn't work well. I was wondering if this was normally a rent by the hour type of place. We decided to stay because we were so tired and got up and out early in the morning even though there was a raging snow storm. If I ever go back to this area you can bet I will plan better and won't be stopping for the night.

Room Tip: The only tip I have is avoid this place.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Deborah W
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Clean and pretty up-to-date rooms. I really enjoyed the pool area, towels could be a bit bigger. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. Hotel is right on the trails and in close proximity to pretty much whatever Houlton has to offer.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 December 2013

It had been years since I had stayed here but found myself in town again for work. I was satisfied with this stay, my room was in the remodeled section and I found it to be adequate, clean, warm and a comfy bed. The Wi-Fi worked well and I enjoyed the microwave and refrigerator. Would stay here again in the future. Just make certain you ask to be in the renovated section.

Room Tip: Ask for the remodeled section
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Teri B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houlton
11 mi away
Canada's Best Value Inn & Suites Woodstock
Best Western Plus Woodstock Hotel & Conference Centre
Ivey's Motor Lodge
Ivey's Motor Lodge
#1 of 3 in Houlton

Been to Shiretown Motor Inn? Share your experiences!