“Decent place along the highway, but nothing special”

Shiretown Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Houlton
Reviewed 11 August 2010

My husband and I were driving back to Boston from New Brunswick, and stopped in Houlton, Maine overnight. The Shiretown Motor Inn is next to the Wal-Mart and the ubiquitous Tim Horton's coffee place. The room was large and clean, but absolutely chain-like, with no character. The front desk staff was not friendly. Instead of the adjoining restaurant, head to the old downtown, where you'll find a much more charming atmosphere and good food.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mybunk

Reviewed 7 April 2010

My husband and I took a trip to off-the-beaten-path places in Maine and had no idea what to expect for hotels in the small towns, like Houlton. We were delighted when we checked into the Shiretown. The friendliness of the staff and the layout, size and amenities in the room were well above our expectations. The amenities were as good as any large upscale hotel chain. The value for the money was exceptional.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HavingFun50
Reviewed 16 September 2009

My wife and I have stayed in the new Rooms in the new building on the front of the property several times over the past 11/2 year. These rooms are very nice, are well insulated so you do not hear noise form neighboring rooms have 40-inch flatscreen televisions, wifi, and an assortment of bed sizes. The Governors Resturant formerly located in back of the new building ahs been closed for about a year.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Patrick S
Reviewed 20 April 2008

We did not like the Shiretown. We needed a place to stay while on a business trip and were not familiar with Houlton area and this was the first place we found.
Rooms were less than clean, crumbs and McDonald wrapper in the sitting area. Bedspread was dirty. The HEAT did not work. No iron or ironing board, no hairdyer, which are usual amenities.
Will not go back here again. Left and went to Ivey's MotorLodge down the street, a better place.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank fairy4
Reviewed 25 June 2007

I don't remember how I booked the stay. My grandmother had passed away so this wasn't a planned pleasure trip. However, I have 4 CHILDREN. My husband enjoyed the weight room and the kids LOVED THE POOL. The pool was warm! The best motel/hotel pool, I've seen in a long time. We were snowed in town during the spring noreaster. But the pool, made up for everything. No the rooms aren't the best, yes ours smelled musty, but they let us bring the dog and they are upgrading the rooms as I type. While we were there we saw them working on some of the rooms. I do not recommend governors.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank morningjoy
Reviewed 30 September 2006

This hotel is a remnant of the 60's and not a good one at that. Our room was on the back side and one would have thought it would be quieter than the front but we were right next to their restaurant, or a restaurant on their property, and people were congregating in the parking lot until well past midnight.

The room was large but smelled horribly stale. It was a no smoking room and I couldn't decide if it had once been a smoking room that had never been fumigated.

If you need a roof over your head or a place to get in out of the rain it's ok in a pinch but I would drive on if I were you.

Stayed: September 2006
3  Thank gerryrtodd
Reviewed 22 March 2006

My stay at the Shiretown was very costly. I was in the area working on a piece of property that i had purchased and had three rooms there. Half way through my stay the staff raised the price of the rooms without my knowledge. When i got my CC statement i noticed the change and called them on it. they said because it was snomobile season that the rates went up. I also found that the carpeting and decor to be very dirty and depressed. I would deffinately find another place to stay in the area if I ever have to go back.

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank tangledsheets
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houlton
Canada's Best Value Inn & Suites Woodstock
#1 of 1 in Jacksonville
Stiles Motel
Stiles Motel
#3 of 4 in Woodstock

Been to Shiretown Motor Inn? Share your experiences!