“One of a Few Upscale Options in Town”
Review of The Courtyard Cafe

The Courtyard Cafe
Ranked #6 of 27 Restaurants in Houlton
Price range: US$5 - US$30
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Welcome To The Courtyard Café! We are an intimate, yet casual restaurant offering a delightful dining experience. Whether relaxing in our full-service bar area or or main dining room, you are sure to have a wonderful experience. Take out and catering also available.
Bangor
“One of a Few Upscale Options in Town”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The Courtyard is one of the only few upscale options in town. The service is average and it has a nice atmosphere. A good place to go on a date or to have a business dinner. The menu is limited and changes daily. If the owner is cooking the for is amazing, if she isn't then you are taking a chance. I have had some excellent meals when she is there and some very basic meals when she isn't cooking. Some of the appetizers need more excitement, especially the nachos which were just chips, meat and cheese. I could have made them and I am not a great cook. They put in a bar area recently which is nice because there are not many bars in town. However the look doesn't fit in with the fine dining vibe that the rest of the restaurant strives to achieve. Bar services is great, better than the wait staff at the tables who are usually not very fast or attentive. It was tricky to rate this one because the food quality can be amazing or just average...

• Visited August 2013

fairfield county, ct
“An unexpected jewel”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We are regular visitors to Houlton and make it point to have a meal at The Courtyard Cafe at least once during each visit. Hidden behind the storefronts of Market Square this unexpected jewel of a restaurant serves unique and high quality dishes in a quiet atmosphere. A friend took me there for a birthday surprise, and the cheery staff made it an extra special day with a special dessert.

• Visited August 2013
West Halifax, Vermont
“A welcome find”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We were spending just one night in Houlton on our way to Canada and the owner of the Stardust Motel recommended the Courtyard Café for dinner. It was just what we needed. The waitress was pleasant, the food good and reasonably priced. The asparagus appetizer wrapped in phyllo was delicious. My husband's fish entrée cooked perfectly and the chowder I had to complete my meal, excellent. We would go back....

• Visited July 2013
Lincolnville, Maine
“Good service, our first visit...”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We were looking at the menu which was available at our hotel and decided to try it. Pleasant atmosphere. We chose to eat in the bar area rather than the larger dining room.

It was very quiet when we were there...not many diners, so I was surprised when the bread on my lobster roll was burnt. As the burned taste was much stronger than the lobster flavor, I did not get to enjoy it after my first (and last) bite of the roll. I was surprised that the cook did not just fix another roll rather than serve a blackened one...and it was obvious that he/she attempted to remove some of the char. Very short-sighted.

The salad was good. The waitress was very sweet and comped my glass of wine. Hubby's burger was cooked well, but no seasoning (salt or pepper). We did not order dessert and may have if the food was prepared better. We are not fussy, just surprised that a simple burger and lobster roll could have had any problems.

Temps were in the 90's and there was no AC or even a fan to move the air, so the stifling heat made us eager to eat and leave.

Will try it again if they are still there...can't judge from one visit as it was the 4th of July weekend and cook may have been a fill-in. Other reviewers seem to be happy with this restaurant.

• Visited July 2013
Sophieschoice61
“healthy eating”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

love the food here, cooked to perfection. love the seafood, healthy eating. we usually go for lunch when open

• Visited October 2012