“It fit the bill for me!!”

The Colony on Frenchman's Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hulls Cove
Reviewed 2 December 2009

I was just looking for a nice clean place to sleep after a long day of driving. For $70 including all taxes this place fit the bill for me. Stayed in a small room in one of the cabin rooms. Had a small porch out front, free WI-FI and a pool. The view across the street of the harbor is beautiful. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 September 2009

This family-owned and run hotel is located on a gently sloping hill overlooking the water. They welcomed our dog and even had a dog walk in the back. It is primarily cottages, and as we had a dog we stayed in a 1/2 cottage near the apple orchard/dog walk. The cottage was very clean, and we had 1 double bed, 1 single bed, and a nice sized bathroom. There was NO smell at all! The decor was older, but we cared much more about cleanliness, service and reasonable price, and this hotel delivered. We will be back.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2009

This place was very nice. It was great to have a cottage versus a hotel/motel. We felt as though we had more privacy and were not disturbed by neighbors on the other side of the wall. There was a private beach across the street that is owned by the The Colony and also a restaurant within walking distance. It is close enough to town to spend the day shopping, yet far enough away to enjoy the quiet. The entrance to Acadia NP is on the way into town so there is a lot of scenic driving.

The pool was beautiful, though the days were a bit chilly for swimming.

We went with two teenage girls and had a separate bedroom for them and one for my husband and myself. That arrangement worked out very well. There was a microwave and small refrigerator. There were dressers and plenty of closet space for extended stays.

The only complaint my husand and I had was the fact that WiFi is advertised on the sign and we were told upon inquiring that our cottage was too far from the office to reach the signal. We found that a bit frustrating and misleading. And aside from the outdated decor (including a rotary phone!) the place was clean and we would definately go again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2009

The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly. Our rooms were cleaned everyday. It was a basic room with all the basic amenities including microwave and referigerator. No complaints. We had to spend few nights and it was good. We were outdoors most of the time and all we need is a clean and comfortable room to sleep at night. I would recommend this to everyone. Prices are very reasonable and so close to Acadia and Bar harbor downtown. Highly recomended for the price.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2009

As a resident of the Bar Harbor area, I knew that the Colony would be the ONLY place I would want my guests to stay when I got married this June.

The view is nothing short of breath-taking and when the piper comes on Saturdays, there is not a more perfect spot on this entire earth. The rooms are very clean and Jean and her sons were welcoming and accommodating. My guests were so happy with their stay and they loved being able to walk the grounds and meander from cabin to cabin, visiting with family and friends.

Thank you, Jean, for making this the most wonderful and amazing weekend of my life. You have given our families memories that will last a lifetime!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Nanegge
Reviewed 24 January 2009

We were kept awake all night by drunk people right next door, (same cabin) and nobody ever came to throw them out. The phone was working but I tried to reach the owners but no response. I sincerely hate this place. I don't recommand this place to anyone. Furthermore, it was wet and smelled really bad inside these cabins. Please don't go there.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ko570a
Reviewed 23 September 2008

We chose this motel because it was close to the water and because it was a few minutes drive to Bar Harbor.

We rented 1/2 a cottage that had a double bed, two chairs, TV with cable. Price was very reasonable compared to other motels in the area; however, it reflects the fact that this establishment is old and needs updating (furniture & linens expecially). Bathroom was very clean.

Staff was very nice and had good recommendations when we asked about restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hulls Cove
#18 of 41 in Bar Harbor
Harborside Hotel & Marina
Harborside Hotel & Marina
#19 of 41 in Bar Harbor

Been to The Colony on Frenchman's Bay? Share your experiences!