“A great discovery!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Island Falls
Sewall House Yoga Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Island Falls B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Forest Hills, New York
“A great discovery!”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I was a bit nervous when I first booked this trip because I was going solo. But within minutes of meeting Donna and then arriving at Sewall House, any nervousness dissolved. Donna and Kent are so warm and friendly and are ideal B&B hosts. They truly care about their guests! Donna is an amazing yoga teacher with the ability to reach out to students on all levels and connect with them. Kent's massages are equally amazing. And I loved Asha's meals as well. I feel lucky to have to discovered Sewall House in this beautiful area of Maine. It was a great adventure that I hope to repeat!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Joan G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Staying at Sewall House felt like I was staying with family. From the time I arrived, I immediately felt at home. During the 5 days I stayed, I was the only guest to book that week and I was worried that this would lead to boredom. Fortunately Donna, Kent, and their beautiful chef Asha kept me company during the time we were not practicing yoga. The food was healthy and delicious. The air was pure and clean. It was my first time practicing yoga and I learned so much from Donna. Being the only guest afforded me plenty of time to pick Donna's brain and learn to practice yoga at my own pace. She even allowed me to record myself on my iphone during the sessions so that I can continue my practice at home. Outside of yoga class, I took a bike ride, spent the night at their cabin by the lake as well as kayaking, swimming, and canoeing. Overall this was a wonderful trip and I will likely make a return trip sometime in the future. Thanks Donna, Kent, and Asha for showing me a great time.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Be_Prime
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I don't normally write reviews and this is actually my first one on Trip Advisor. I cannot speak more highly of Donna and The Sewall House. A long journey from Boston was well worth the visit this past weekend. It is incredibly quiet both inside the house and out. The accommodations are lovely, clean and comfortable. I feel clean inside my body - I have been eating delicious home cooked vegetarian food, completely nourishing and satisfying. There is a beautiful sauna that you can use after Yoga or when the studio is not in use. As a Yoga practitioner and Teacher, I learned an incredible amount from Donna. She is vivacious, full of life, knowledgable, patient, kind, genuine and so accessible. Completely heart-centered, her classes, her wisdom and home are a rare treat in a modern world. I could say more, but instead I will recommend that you simply visit and spend a few days there. Meet Donna. She is a lighthouse of grace and wisdom.

Room Tip: I stayed with a friend. We selected the room downstairs next to the dining room as it has its own ba...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
MaineAmrita, Owner at Sewall House Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Thank you so much for this kind review..Sewall House thanks you from the bottom of our hearts! We hope you visit again:)
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I went with a group of seven, arranged by my yoga teacher. He'd been there several times and wanted to share the bliss! It's a magical place in a gorgeous setting with the kindest hosts you could imagine. Donna and Kent pull out all the stops when it comes to making their guests feel at home. Donna is an amazing yoga teacher and so generous with her knowledge and time. Also enjoyed the meditation sessions and Kent's live music and singing. The home is warm and inviting. The rooms are decorated with love and the beds are very comfortable. Kent is an amazing massage therapist and fabulous chef. Meals were served family style in a lovely dining room where we had a lot of laughs and got to know each other. Delicious gluten-free and vegan meals were provided for those w/special diets. Such a cozy, homey environment, we all left feeling refreshed, happy, well-fed, and touched by our hosts' kindness and generosity. There's plenty to do nearby, including canoeing/kayaking on the lake, hiking and there's even a golf course. It's tranquil and a great antidote to the everyday grind. We all loved it and can't wait to return!

1 Thank Patty_W33
Hightstown, NJ
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I'd visited Sewall House several times as a guest but recently used the space to house a group retreat for my small group of 6 guests traveling together. As always, the environment was conducive to a relaxed and introspective experience. The food was phenomenal! And the yoga instruction was inspired and uplifting. As a group leader I found it exceptionally easy to work with Kent & Donna on the plans from start to finish and they worked very hard to make everyone feel at home during their stay. I'm looking forward to bringing more groups here in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
MaineAmrita, Owner at Sewall House Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, 25 May 2013
Thank you Brian for posting this review! We would love to have you and another of your wonderful groups return any time! We enjoyed having you- and so glad you enjoyed it too! We look forward to your next return- solo or with group in tow!
Princeton, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Donna and Kent are amazing hosts, I felt as if I was visiting family. Sewall house is such a wonderful and historic house and there's something interesting everywhere you turn. The entire house has a fantastic feeling. The food was outstanding and the yoga was outstanding! Kent's massage was wonderful, he's very intuitive. I only wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
MaineAmrita, Owner at Sewall House Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Thank you Jane for your quick and wonderful review! We are so glad you enjoyed your time here with us- just as we enjoyed you and your fun and loving group who embraced Sewall House! Hope to see you again! (for longer next time!)- Kent and Donna and deep gratitude to Brian for getting you all here:)
Maine
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I’m back from my second fabulous stay at Sewall House. I can’t wait to back!

I’ve only got positive things to say – Donna and Kent (and all of the folks who happen to be in the neighborhood who help out) are ideal hosts. They are there for anything and everything you might need, and they allow for a quiet and complete retreat. They are fun and interesting, and they cook and find incredible food, are skilled in massage and meditation and music and, of course, yoga. Donna’s classes are never boring – because she brings a strong background from numerous approaches. And the rooms are comfy and come with the softest bathrobes...so nice.

Each time I left home for Sewall House I dreaded the long drive from my home in Southern Maine. And each trip turned out to be not only easy, but beautiful, and almost magical. The most recent trip was in view of the autumn leaves of New England. If you have ever seen these, you would understand how magical the views.

I was imagining that if I left from afar, it would actually be very easy to fly to Boston and enjoy a pleasant day trip up to Sewall House. You could fly to Boston, rent a car, and if you know the way out of Boston you could be in Island Falls in less than 6 hours. That would include a side stop at one of the many sweet spots in between – Portsmouth, NH, York, Ogunquit, Wells, Beach areas. Kennebunk and Kennbunkport, Portland, Freeport, Augusta, Bangor, UMaine-Orono, Katadin, etc.

I have digressed. I love the Sewall House – if you are lucky enough to be in the neighborhood, you will too.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are charming!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
#1 of 3 in Houlton
The Bradford House B&B
The Bradford House B&B
#1 of 1 in Patten

Been to Sewall House Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!