“A Place to Return to Again & Again”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Island Falls
Sewall House Yoga Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Island Falls B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“A Place to Return to Again & Again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

The first time I arrived at Sewall House was in the evening. I arrived at dinner time with my hosts and guests around the table having a delicious vegetarian family style meal. I felt immediately embraced by the house and the company. I felt at home. I loved that the house was furnished with the Sewall family's original furnishings and memorabilia. My room had a 4 poster bed with a rocking chair and a quilt with birds embroidered on it. In the morning coffee was ready and I got to sit on the porch sipping it before the 8:00 am yoga. I had a week of yoga 2x's a day, 3 delish meals a day, boating and swimming in beautiful lakes and backwoods swimming holes, hiking through flower laden fields with Mt Katadin in the distance and splashed over rocks through rivers with tumbling waterfalls. I was in heaven on earth!!! I also liked that there wasn't a set regimen and guests could make their own plans and schedules although everyone usually showed up at the breakfast & dinner table. I also really enjoyed the other guests who found their way to Sewall House and came from many places and backgrounds. Donna and Kent provide a welcoming and supportive atmosphere and are great fun too! Donna is an amazing yoga teacher, Kent is a talented masseuse and the food is both enjoyable and satisfying. Add the pristine beauty of of nature in the Lake Country of Inner Maine and it's a place you'll find you want to return to again & again. I have 5 times!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

I love my annual long-weekend getaways at Sewall House because they offer a different experience every time. This year, my fifth, I enjoyed summer fun on the lake with Donna, Kent and their extended family and guests. Sharing experiences with others seems counter-intutitive on a yoga retreat, but it is the unexpected conversations and listening to others that leads to learning more about yourself. Donna and Kent always make me feel like part of the family. Exceptional food, yoga, and massages! I will definitely be back!!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

I searched the internet for three days before I found this rare gem! I needed a place that I could book on short notice within a specific time frame and that was within driving distance from Toronto. Granted it was a 13 hour drive, I felt this time was a part of my healing journey and it was well worth it to find EVERYTHING I was looking for: a warm, caring and safe environment to look inwards, two daily yoga sessions catering to all levels and optional meditation sessions, located in an area of natural beauty with lakes, trees as far as the eye can see, cleansing fresh air, nurturing healthy and tasty food and good, restorative nights of sleep. It was a tall order, but I found it and more at Sewall House!!
I was grateful for the 1-800 number and that Donna was there to answer my call when I dialed from a loud and busy city street. As a New York City resident, Donna understood the escape I was seeking to balance out the city life that I love. The moment we spoke on the phone, I knew this was the place I wanted to be and I was so right!
Sewell House has a long history of taking people in and caring for their needs. I was really lucky to be a part of this long tradition and to have Donna, who is the most amazing down-to-earth person and accomplished yoga teacher, and Asha, a vibrant, positive and talented young lady who was doing her teacher training with Donna and working as a chef there for the season, to spend time with and learn from. Because I arrived in between other guests' stays, I was spoiled with one-on-one instruction with Donna and even got to sit in on a few teacher training discussions along with Asha about the sutras and their applications to life. Asha was happy to spend some of her free time with me showing me around on a day trip to Bar Harbour (a most spectacularly beautiful place on this Earth), go star gazing (I forgot they were all there in the sky!), sauna sittings, go swimming, run through the woods.. you name it she was game and her energetic positivity was contagious. And Donna took us out on the lake on two glorious sunny days. I loved doing kundalini yoga on loon's ledge, a flat bed of rocks poking out from the calm waters, giving us the sense we were floating. It was truly goddess week!!
I had sought out a place where I could have the quiet and privacy I needed to reflect and feel, but found that I was so comfortable in Donna's and Asha's company, that instead of resorting to alone time, I came out of my shell and was compelled to be in their company. This is saying a lot for me! I also, for the first time in 20 years, took my mask off! I went my whole stay without any makeup on and it felt so good to be seen and accepted for who I am in the company of two naturally beautiful women, in and out.
Donna has so much knowledge and wisdom to share, and yogi Bhajan's voice flows through her. I am amazed at how Donna has managed to live in one of the easiest places in the world to lose oneself in the daily routine of "making it" or in the cultural desire for the accumulation of material goods, yet remain unaffected, perhaps even more resolved to live from the heart. Donna lives with integrity, focusing on the important and truly meaningful things in life. There is so much truth in the simplicity she exemplifies and inspires us with. It is Donna's faith in the yogic way of life to nurture the soul and the planet that keeps this unique gem of a retreat going, and I'm sure her good karma is doing its' fair bit! Having had such a tremendously moving and positive experience here, I want to share it with everyone. I honestly believe everyone and anyone can find what they're looking for here. I want to bring everyone I care about so they can experience the gift that Donna and Kent have offered to the world. I will always treasure my time at Sewall House in my heart, which was given what it needed so it could heal. I will also continue to practice what Donna taught me, having taken a part of her with me. I have two of her kundalini cds to guide me through life and keep me grounded and connected, when I'm back in the routine of my life in a fast paced city.
The last day that I was there, Donna's husband Kent had arrived, and treated me to a fusion of Thai yoga, Swedish, deep tissue, and reiki massage to release the tensions of an old spine injury I had suffered 4 years ago. Though weekly chiropractic over the years helped keep the pain at bay, I had plateaued in my healing and the pain started to intensify again as I reconnected with my body. Kent is a gifted massage therapist, who intuitively knows what the body is saying. After our session, for the first time in 4 years, I could actually move my neck in the normal range of motion. I felt opened up and on my drive home was able to check my blind spot with ease! Something I won't ever take for granted again! I fully trusted Kent to work his magic and I'm so grateful I was able to experience his gift before I left.
I was in good hands at Sewell house. I am grateful that it exists and that I found it. I want to thank Donna and Kent for all their hard work and devotion to their purpose of helping people to live peacefully and in good health and spirit. I hope Sewall House will always be there and that you find your way to it as well.
Peace be with you on your life journey. Namaste.

Forest Hills, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

I was a bit nervous when I first booked this trip because I was going solo. But within minutes of meeting Donna and then arriving at Sewall House, any nervousness dissolved. Donna and Kent are so warm and friendly and are ideal B&B hosts. They truly care about their guests! Donna is an amazing yoga teacher with the ability to reach out to students on all levels and connect with them. Kent's massages are equally amazing. And I loved Asha's meals as well. I feel lucky to have to discovered Sewall House in this beautiful area of Maine. It was a great adventure that I hope to repeat!

1 Thank Joan G
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

Staying at Sewall House felt like I was staying with family. From the time I arrived, I immediately felt at home. During the 5 days I stayed, I was the only guest to book that week and I was worried that this would lead to boredom. Fortunately Donna, Kent, and their beautiful chef Asha kept me company during the time we were not practicing yoga. The food was healthy and delicious. The air was pure and clean. It was my first time practicing yoga and I learned so much from Donna. Being the only guest afforded me plenty of time to pick Donna's brain and learn to practice yoga at my own pace. She even allowed me to record myself on my iphone during the sessions so that I can continue my practice at home. Outside of yoga class, I took a bike ride, spent the night at their cabin by the lake as well as kayaking, swimming, and canoeing. Overall this was a wonderful trip and I will likely make a return trip sometime in the future. Thanks Donna, Kent, and Asha for showing me a great time.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Be_Prime
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

I don't normally write reviews and this is actually my first one on Trip Advisor. I cannot speak more highly of Donna and The Sewall House. A long journey from Boston was well worth the visit this past weekend. It is incredibly quiet both inside the house and out. The accommodations are lovely, clean and comfortable. I feel clean inside my body - I have been eating delicious home cooked vegetarian food, completely nourishing and satisfying. There is a beautiful sauna that you can use after Yoga or when the studio is not in use. As a Yoga practitioner and Teacher, I learned an incredible amount from Donna. She is vivacious, full of life, knowledgable, patient, kind, genuine and so accessible. Completely heart-centered, her classes, her wisdom and home are a rare treat in a modern world. I could say more, but instead I will recommend that you simply visit and spend a few days there. Meet Donna. She is a lighthouse of grace and wisdom.

Room Tip: I stayed with a friend. We selected the room downstairs next to the dining room as it has its own ba...