“Great location, average room and stay”
Review of Seaside Inn

Seaside Inn
Ranked #5 of 14 Kennebunk B&B and Inns
Joelton, Tennessee
“Great location, average room and stay”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Let me first say that this place is located in a spectacular part of Kennebunk, just yards from the beach. The beach itself and the houses located on it and near it are just beautiful. There is ample opportunity to take a stroll on the beach or on the sidewalks located along the beach. We loved having it so accessible to us. As for the Inn, I have to say that we really just had an "average" experience there. I was not made aware when I called to make a reservation that the 1st floor rooms were not as updated as the 2nd floor rooms. When I asked the female employee on the phone what the difference was between the rooms I was told that "you have to stand up to see the ocean on the 1st floor but can see it while sitting down on the 2nd". There was never any mention of newer/updated rooms on the 2nd floor. I say this only to point out that the 1st floor rooms, while they were very clean, are definitely very dated. We also had some trouble with the toilet not wanting to flush very easily (had to flush 2 to 3 times some of the time). The beds weren't that comfortable (a big deal for me since I was 5 months pregnant at the time we visited). The first employee who greeted us upon our arrival was extremely friendly and very welcoming. The cleaning staff was also very nice. However, perhaps what bothered us the most was an encounter my husband had with the overnight front desk employee. On our first night at the Inn my husband left our room to try to find the vending machine to get us some bottled water. The information in our room just said the vending machine was "on the first floor" but didn't give any specifics. He looked everywhere inside and couldn't find it. He then went to the front desk to ask the employee there to point him in the right direction to the vending machine. The employee (an older female employee with dark hair---we didn't ever know what her name was) corrected my husband that it was a "drink machine" (not a "vending" machine), and gave him directions to the machine. Unfortunately, the directions she gave him were incorrect (apparently she said to turn "right" down the hallway but should have said "left"). My husband had to go back a second time to ask her for directions, at which time she was extremely unfriendly, acted like he was bothering her, and made him feel like she thought he was stupid for not being able to find it. (Just FYI--the drink machine is actually located outside the building---have to go out the door to get to it.) We aren't sure if the employee even realized how she came across, but it just wasn't the type of customer service that either of us is used to getting at a family-owned and run inn. The breakfast was ok--mainly standard continental breakfast fare (boiled eggs, cereal, toast, oatmeal). They did have hot muffins both mornings we were there, and these were good. If we hadn't had the unfortunate encounter with the night front desk clerk, I think we would have left with a better opinion.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms are updated and have a better ocean view. If I had it to do over again I would have...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paula N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Peabody, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The Seaside Inn is a quiet beautiful place to get away from it all. The view from the balcony of the 2nd floor rooms is amazing. You can walk the beach or soak in the sun from your balcony. The breakfast always includes some special homemade item. This morning it was stuffed French toast! We try to go before the summer rates kick in. If you are looking for a place to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, the Seaside Inn is the place for you.

Room Tip: Definitely second floor ocean view!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ramjam13
seasidekennebunk, Owner at Seaside Inn, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
I was just going through my folder and saw that I hadnt responded to your email yet. I am sorry. I would like to thank you for your visit and am glad you enjoyed the location. When you call again be sure to ask for me, Ken, and I would be happy to explain all the different options we have for you.
Thank you again.
Milton, Delaware
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Just spent a long weekend at this downhome inn by the sea. While not completely disappointed, we found the Inn lacking in many aspects. The rooms though spotless, are dated and need some TLC. The breakfast was a fairly standard continental breakfast---cereals, hard-boiled eggs, fruit and toast with excellent fresh muffins. Although the staff was helpful and accommodating, we had a real problem with our shower---sporadic or eventually nonexistent hot water. We let them know on Saturday morning (our second morning), but saw no improve-
ment the remainder of our stay.

The front desk did offer to change our room, but only on the day we were leaving.
In spite of the off season pricing and spectacular ocean views, we cannot recommend this lodging.

Room Tip: Best rooms are 2nd floor Oceanside.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoAnn C
seasidekennebunk, Manager at Seaside Inn, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
We are so sorry for the issue with the hot water. We did make several calls to local plumbers to come and fix the issue. We finally were able to have a plumber change a water pump Sunday morning. We try to fix every issue as fast as we can get a contractor to respond. We hope you will give us another chance and stay in one of our updated second floor rooms. Please accept our apology again for the water but be assured it wasn't ignored we fixed it as soon as a plumber responded. Let us know what we can do to convince us to try The Seaside again.
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We love staying at Seaside Inn! As others have said, it is comfortable, extremely clean, and spectacular because of the ocean view and the proximity to a gorgeous beach. The breakfasts are special, with homemade, hot items in a lovely dining room. We especially like going off-season, taking advantage of special pricing. We plan to go back again and again.

Room Tip: It is worth a bit extra to stay on the second floor with an ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DKelly2014
Beverly, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We spent one delightful night while in town for an event. Where do I start? It is rare to find such a friendly, family owned, charming place to stay. The Inn has an incredible history but the friendly staff make it great. We were in a 2nd floor terrace view room and found the bed comfortable and the room spotlessly clean. The extra large luggage racks were a nice touch and the wireless was strong and fast.

There is no coffee in the rooms but delicious fresh coffee is available in the lobby from 7:30am to 10:00pm. Breakfast was delicious. The hottub on the second floor deck was also much appreciated. We will definitely return

Room Tip: Pick a 2nd floor room if you are planning to use the hot tub.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Denise_and_Dana
Chicopee, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Just got back from a too short wkend and loved it. Great location w the ocean 100 yards from your sliding glass door. Spend the extra bucks for oceanside rooms...its worth it. Half mile to downtown village. All in all the best location and overall hotel experience iv had in coastal Maine. Friendly staff and many "regular guests" it appeared (which is always a good sign!). Will be back soon.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank rollingonfast
seasidekennebunk, Owner at Seaside Inn, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
We are so happy you enjoyed your weekend stay with us. Hopefully in the future you can stay for a longer vacation. We hope you become one of our many regular guests.
Thank you.
Rotterdam, New York
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I called this Inn directly for a last minute reservation. I was very happy to get Bud on the phone. He was able to give us a rate which was too hard to refuse.We spent two lovely nights at this Inn. My husband and I had never been to Maine.The inn was right on the beachfront as depicted. The room was very spacious and exceptionally clean. We had two queen beds, a seating area, a very large closet with ironing board and iron. There was a small refrigerator as well.There is a washer and dryer available for a small fee. I am a die-hard coffee drinker. To my delight they have a continuous supply of coffee available near the front desk from 7:30am-8pm! In the morning from 8-10am they offer a continental breakfast (included). There are fresh baked muffins (still warm)! They offer cereal,hot oatmeal and fresh fruit as well.There is a hot tub on the second floor deck (we did not get a chance to use it) and it appeared to be clean. There are deck chairs and tables on the far end of the building. (This area is also the designated smoking area). The weather was very warm so it was a nice trip to the ocean. Water was absolutely freezing which is what I expected. It was a very relaxing few days. I would definitely recommend this Inn. There is also a lot of history with this Inn. Be sure to read their historical facts.

Room Tip: Stayed on the "garden side" of the hotel, which was very nice. Be sure to ask for ocean si...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank longoverdue
Thank you so much for choosing The Seaside Inn for your first visit to Maine. We are so happy that we were able to make your stay enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
The Grand Hotel
#1 of 5 in Kennebunkport
The Beach House
The Beach House
#4 of 14 in Kennebunk

Been to Seaside Inn? Share your experiences!