“Can't say enough positive things about this fantastic inn!!!”
Review of Hounds Tooth Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kennebunk
Hounds Tooth Inn
Ranked #7 of 14 Kennebunk B&B and Inns
Barrington, Rhode Island
“Can't say enough positive things about this fantastic inn!!!”
Reviewed 20 October 2011

My 2 westies and I stayed at this most wonderful inn recently, and we loved it!!! The innkeepers, Randi & Norman could not have been more accommodating to us. The inn is spotless, and the breakfast was delicious!! Perfect place to bring the pups!! Can't wait to return to the Hounds Tooth Inn.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Me and my boyfriend (Germans) went on an East Coast trip in August and came to Hounds Tooth Inn by chance, after staying at another place in Kennebunkport first.

I must say, that I never felt more welcome in any place than I did with Norm and Randee! The place is so beautiful, extremely neat and clean and so well done - there's love in every detail and each room. The rooms themselves are not only really beautiful - they are huge. We felt as if we had our own apartment - and we didn't miss anything.

I guess, one of the nicest things about staying at the Hounds Tooth Inn is the gorgeous breakfast Randee prepares - and all the guests sit together at one table, enjoying the food (a lot of variety! - sweet and spicy, whatever you like, always warm, great coffee, fruit salad ... yummy!) and talk to each other. I never felt that home in a place before - although we just stayed there for four nights (two longer than we had planned originally).

We don't have a dog ourselves, but I can tell, that there is no sign nowhere in the house, from which you could guess that this in fact is a pet-friendly guest house. It is so clean and neat - actually cleaner than all the other Guest Houses and B&Bs where they allow no pets at all!

Last but not least, Randee & Norm are the perfect hosts, they provide you with anything you could possibly ask for and they now the places around and all the restaurants so well, you can trust them in every single recommendation.

So, all I can say is: THANK YOU SO MUCH - you & your place (includig the other great guests and their dogs) really were the best part of our whole trip!

Room Tip: Contact Randee & Norm for details - you also find the Hounds Tooth Inn on facebook (and it is no...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Having a 6month old puppy is wonderfully life-changing. Those of you reading this will know what I mean! For one thing, planning a special weekend getaway isn't as simple as "let's pack up and go!" But Hounds Tooth Inn—and its wonderful innkeepers Randi and Norman—make it possible.

Their B&B is a converted farmhouse, warm and welcoming. When we got there, she welcomed us all, paying special attention to Bacon, our travel-weary pup! Randi showed us all the dog-friendly areas of the inn (which is pretty much everywhere except the kitchen). We were even more thrilled to find that many places in Kennebunk and Kennebunkport were dog-friendly. She gave us the scoop on where to go, places to eat, dog-friendly beaches, etc.

Randi's breakfasts were simple, delicious, and plentiful. An excellent way to start the day! We explored to our hearts' content, no stress about how Bacon would be accepted. He felt it too, and was so happy. Most of the people staying at the inn while were there were repeat visitors, with high praises for Randi and Norm, and echoing that their dogs all loved it there as well.

(Oh, and for the record, they keep the inn SPOTLESS. No evidence (sight or smell) of any canine accidents; and all the guests were responsible for keeping their dogs well-behaved and the common areas very clean.)

The B&B is well-situated, 10-15 minutes to town; and minutes to highway access to get to Portland, Freeport, and other points north for those who want to explore farther afield.

Our favorite spot was Gooch Beach - for beautiful sunrise walks, and morning "socials" with other dogs getting their exercise. This time of the year (post-Labor Day) is perfect, too, as the summer crowds have all but gone and you get a calmer, easier experience throughout.

Dog-friendly restaurants we tried were: The Chowder House on Cape Porpoise and 50 Local (though we didn't bring Bacon for that dinner, I believe they are ok with dogs in the outdoor seating area in front).

Near the B&B is a dog park and a nature preserve. We heard good things about both, but did not get to visit there...next time for sure! And there WILL be a next time! Whether you are traveling with a canine companion or not, this is just a wonderful place to call home when in Maine. So happy we found the Hounds Tooth Inn.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We chose the Hounds Tooth Inn as the venue for a weekend celebration of a family birthday and it proved to be a great choice. We were welcomed warmly...all of us, including our dog...and our special dietary requirements (gluten-free, dairy-free) were very well met. Our rooms were very comfortable and clean. The Inn's gardens were beautiful and so pleasant to sit in and relax. Easy drive to the beach and to Kennebunk/Kennebunkport waterfront. And our hosts had thought of everything to make our stay a success, including maps, brochures for local attractions, restaurant menus, etc. Great place...highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Montpelier, Vermont
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We have had the pleasure of being guests of Randee and Norm a few times. It is always such a pleasure.

My VERY favorite thing about staying at Hounds Tooth is that it is the only place I have ever stayed with my dogs where I truly feel welcomed. We have stayed many places that claim they are pet friendly but in truth dogs are just tolerated.

Both the inside and the outside grounds have an atmosphere right out of Cottage Living. The rooms (we have stayed in two different rooms) are very clean, have comfortable beds, great bathrooms and a comfortable sitting area. That is another thing I love about this place. It is so clean! Just because I have two furry companions does not mean I don't like my accomodations clean and tidy.

The outside is also very inviting. Typically I like to lounge after breakfast on a comfy chair in the back yard with my dogs. It is peaceful. There are perrenial gardens all around. Just outside of the kitchen area and back porch there is a fenced in grassy area for the dogs. It is equiped with umbrellas for shade and a big tub of water. The fence is short so the dogs can see out. All of the outdoor areas are charming and have little details of dog themed items all around.

Breakfast is also very good. Randee prides herself in the variety and quality of her mutl-course breakfasts. Frequently there are items from her garden incorporated into the meal. We have met some very interesting people from all over the world. It is such a treat to meet others who feel the same way about their dogs as we do.

For those that are unfamiliar with the area, Randee always can provide suggestions of places to eat or activities. It is fun to hear about the local happenings. She can provide advice on shortcuts, the best salads, what to expect at the local dog park, what the rules are at the various beaches, etc.

Room Tip: Just fyi (in case you have a dog that has trouble with stairs), there is only one room downstairs an...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
NY
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Arrived after 9PM only to be personally welcomed by Randee, who helped me in with my dog bags and luggage. Breakfast was served at any requested time for each guest with fresh garden vegetables. Randee is an incredible innkeeper who has thought of everything from dog friendly restaurants, beaches and parks down to where to stop for lobster and ice cream on the way home. On top of that, she is a kind and compassionate dog lover who has wonderful conversations with her guests and treats them as if she was her personal friend. I was told about this inn by a guest who I met at Stephen Huneck's dog chapel and happily pass along the news about this gem in Kennebunkport so you can discover it yourself.

Room Tip: Every room is wonderful
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
boston,ma.
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at this exceptional B&B.
While a part of me wants to keep this Inn our own little secret, it is only fair to share our experience with other dog lovers.
My husband Scott, our Great Pyrenese Lilah and I, arrived Friday PM and were warmly greeted by Randee, the Inn owner. Randee is delightful, informative, extremely accommodating, and a wonderful cook backed up by her "behind the scenes" husband. Just one example of how accommodating she is, coffee is ready at 6 AM and breakfast is at 9AM to accommodate those of us who are frolicking on the beach with our dogs in the early AM. Kennebunk beaches are dog friendly, but during high season there are restricted hours. Dogs can be on the beach up until 9AM and after 5PM.
The Inn has an ample yard (maybe an acre) for you to walk your dog(s) as well as a comfortable picketed fence area from which your dog can watch you as you enjoy a goumet breakfast and great conversation in the beautiful country kitchen. And, the inn is easily accessible to the old town of Kennebunk with beaches and restaurants that are dog friendly.
There are 4 rooms. We stayed in the Queens Chamber, which I believe is the smallest of the 4 rooms, and we were quite comfortable. There was more than enough room for Lilah to stretch out and to our surpirse the bathroom is huge. We did not see the other rooms, but everyone we spoke with stated they were great.
As perhaps the most impressive recomendation, there were guests we met who were extremely interesting, traveling in from Europe, very interactive with all of the guest at our group breakfasts, and didn't have a pet!
Randee, to no surprise, has many repeat guests. One of the guests we met were on their 4th visit with their girl Maggie.
The Inn is open year round and there are specials noted on the web site which you should visit for more information. We plan to return often.............Cheers Randy........Scott, Elaine and Lilah

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
King's Port Inn
#4 of 14 in Kennebunk
Yachtsman Lodge & Marina
Yachtsman Lodge & Marina
#10 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to Hounds Tooth Inn? Share your experiences!