“Worst Travel Experience Ever - STAY AWAY!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Turnpike Motel

Turnpike Motel
Ranked #11 of 14 Kennebunk B&B and Inns
Chicopee, Massachusetts
“Worst Travel Experience Ever - STAY AWAY!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

If I could give this place lower than a "Terrible" rating I would have. This was by far the worst motel/hotel experience I have and hopefully will ever have. I write this to make sure they don't do this to anyone ever again:

After booking my hotel through booking.com on 7/28/2011, and getting a confirmation email, we left for our trip. My girlfriend and I had planned a 3 night trip, with two nights in Hampton Beach and one last night in Maine so we could go to Old Orchard. we had a great time in NH, and then left for Maine on August 6, 2011. After a day on the beach, we arrived at the Turnpike Motel.

To our dismay, the hotel looked awful. For one, The hotel is literally on the highway. If your unlucky enough to get a room in the front, you will have a view of the highway and I'm sure it'd be very loud. The back is also right next to the on-ramp. Secondly, the parking lot was extremely dirty and scattered with trash bags. The hotel itself looked very out-dated. I was fortunate enough not to experience the inside of these rooms, however, as I was denied a room at the front desk. (Also, by front desk, I mean the living room of the family that owns the place. It, too, was also dirty and dank looking).

As I told the woman my name for my reservation, she looked at me strange and repeated my name while going into the other room to speak with who I assume was her husband. When she came out, she told me that they no longer have any rooms, and after that a "sorry". After staring at her for a couple seconds and thinking we might have been at the wrong motel, I ask her about it and she said "We no have room. We call you and leave you message." I was in disbelief at this, and thought I couldnt get any more angry until I looked on my cellphone. Back in the car, I looked in my phone and saw a missed call and a voicemail.

The missed call was from an HOUR BEFORE - 3:30 on Aug 6, which was actually AFTER OUR CHECK-IN TIME. When I listened to the voicemail, It was a mans voice saying "we no longer have rooms available, sorry and thank you VERY VERY much". Enraged at this point, I stormed back into the lobby and started my rant with the same lady.

I told her about my extreme discontent and that this should never be done to people. Also that I could not believe I could do nothing about it because this was not a chain hotel, but a small, family run motel. All she did was not her head and say "I know". I asked her twice how this could even happen, and the first time she just nodded again. The second time pointed to the back room and said "Its him". referring to who i assume was her husband. From what I gathered, this was the man from the voicemail. He stayed in the back the entire time and was to afraid to even show his face. You could tell that she did not run the business, and that he made her deal with all the customers and problems.

After that, I went back to the car and tried to stifle my vomit enough to find another hotel for the night at 5:00 pm on a Saturday. If I have kept your interest enough to have continued reading for this long, I warn you to never, ever stay at this motel. It is run by a family who obviously does not know how to run a business and does not care about customer service (not to mention they could barely speak English). This "motel" embodies everything that is wrong and terrible about traveling. I never thought that i would have to experience getting turned down at the front desk in my life. This should never happen to anyone and I swore to my self and to them that I would never let anyone who i Know or have spoken to to ever stay at this motel. This is the epitome of a nightmare hotel experience.

On a lighter note, My girlfriend and I did, finally, find a nearby motel to stay in. We were taken in by the Meadow Glen Bed and Basket in Kennebunkport, ME. This motel was very nice, and the room was 5 dollars cheaper than the room we had booked at the Turnpike. I highly reccomend this B&B: The owner was very nice, he kept the rooms very clean, and it had an authentic Maine bed and breakfast feel. This was what I could only assume was karma after such an awful experience. Thank you for your time.

Alex

Room Tip: Dont stay here - try Meadowglenn instead